Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk survival

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I is just a drinker of water and green tea.

Screw Alcohol

**Runs away**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I is just a drinker of water and green tea.

Screw Alcohol

**Runs away**

KILL HIM!!!! We shall capture you and pour alcohol down your throat (using the beer bong) until you love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

to be fair i think we all are saving purely for alcoholic related recreation!!! lets be honest!:D :rolleyes: if i wasnt drinking(probably a lot!) in college i dont think i would have anything saved!

well after the accomadation costs then yes pretty much all for alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Living at home=no accomodation costs.
    Living in Maynooth=no bus/train tickets
    After other college expenses its ll for the drink!What can I say I'm lucky:D

Also when societies get in guest speakers there is sometimes a bit of free drink after those things so even though its just a bit, its still drink and its still free!

I recommend getting esteban to try Chartreuse:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Roonels wrote:
    but the real question i have is...are you all ready to spread the wings?...living without parents...feeding yourself.

a bit of advice, when shopping in tesco (lets face it, every town that is big enough to have a college, has at least one!), dont even think of buying tesco 'value' food!! Because the money you save, will be gone buying lots of toilet paper!!! while were on that point, try not to buy tesco value toilet paper, espicaly if you are buying tesco value food. that combination will result in an arse like a japanise flag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

lemansky wrote:
    Living at home=no accomodation costs.
    Living in Maynooth=no bus/train tickets
    After other college expenses its ll for the drink!What can I say I'm lucky:D

i would hate to live at home, so much more freedom away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Re DCU:
    Yeah, its true, Larkfield is for first years and unless you get well above 500 points, first years don't have a snowballs chance in Hampstead. Larkfield is supposed to be great fun anyway.

lemansky wrote:

I recommend getting esteban to try Chartreuse:D

Had that for the first, second, third.....and sixth time last week. You better mean green chartreuse. It would be mean. But funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Seriously there is no need to drink!!!! Imagine all the money you could have if you said ''Ok drink tastes like ****, why do I drink it' and then just stopped.
    Any chance you get....

Please stop trying to push your holier-than-thou anti-alcohol crap on the people of this forum. Drinking is fun, get over it.
    The last time I had a job was Christmas and I still have 400 euro, and this is coming from someone who spends so much money on dvd's. ps2 games etc.
    Now that's a much bigger waste of money than alcohol, google "BitTorrent".

I have about €2K saved which I've been accumilating all my life basically. About €1K of that is from working last summer and the summer before that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Seriously there is no need to drink!!!! Imagine all the money you could have if you said ''Ok drink tastes like ****, why do I drink it' and then just stopped.

The last time I had a job was Christmas and I still have 400 euro, and this is coming from someone who spends so much money on dvd's. ps2 games etc.

But seriously like there is no need to buy ps2 games or D.V.D's like imagine if you just said I'm spending way too much time in front of the T.V, why not get some fresh air or head to the pub and have a few drinks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Please stop trying to push your holier-than-thou anti-alcohol crap on the people of this forum. Drinking is fun, get over it.
    So... "please stop putting your ideas on us. this is MY idea, now take it."

Is that what just happened?

Not to be defending him, tis wrong alright to be telling others what to do, just thought that was funny/hypocritical.

/me prepares his super noodles diet

So... "please stop putting your ideas on us. this is MY idea, now take it."

Is that what just happened?
    Not really, "drinking is fun" isn't just my idea or my personal opinion, it's a fact which is generally true. So it's more like:

"Please stop trying to tell us that we don't enjoy drinking and should stop. We do enjoy it, get over it"

I have to say of my friends that don't drink, you wouldn't know it with most of them unless you tasted their drink. They never mention the fact that they don't drink, don't shove it in your face, you can have a great night with them because of that.

There is however one annoying person who tends to show up unwanted at most gatherings......he doesn't drink but he's not one of the non-drinkers described above. He's one of the ones who lets everyone in the group know that he isn't drinking, and also doesn't hold back from telling the whole pub this little gem. He goes around making a big deal of the whole thing.

I don't care if somebody doesn't drink, fair play, but I don't rub this fact in their faces, so I expect them not to go on about the fact that I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

JC 2K3 wrote:
    "Please stop trying to tell us that we don't enjoy drinking and should stop. We do enjoy it, get over it"
    Better phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Man i dont know how id live on 300 for a few months! alot it would go down the drain on nights out!
    I'm just going to buy that soup where you just add boiled water, and basically eat that for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks!And thats only like 3 euro...and each tin will last me like 2 weeks....so theres plenty of money for drink left over!!!
    lemansky wrote:
    Also when societies get in guest speakers there is sometimes a bit of free drink after those things so even though its just a bit, its still drink and its still free!
    Interesting.....

*Signs up to every society available*

Like I say I won't guarantee it but it might happen with the right society, right speaker etc:D

I think your taking my comment too seriously. How you can say that it is fact that drinking is more fun is simply moronic but hey I guess that is just your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Only cool people drink. Or smoke.

I thought everyone knew that?

• Advertisement

I think your taking my comment too seriously. How you can say that it is fact that drinking is more fun is simply moronic but hey I guess that is just your opinion.

Do you regularly go to clubs/ bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's only not fun if you're on your own in a dark little room or something. Or sometimes vodka can have a crappy sudden-depression effect.

Na not really in regards to going to clubs and stuff like that. I find it really boring, especailly when I could be doing something which interests me such as going to the movies, watching a movie on tv, play playstation and other such stimulating activites. I don't attempt to impinge my ideas on anyone else, except if it's scumbags on MSN, I really do have too much time on my hands. I am extremely anti-alcohol but if people want to damage their bodys and die when their 45, that is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

No no, you're confusing 'alcoholics' with 'social drinkers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

gees alot of people are getting worked up about this drinking situation:rolleyes: tbh i think non drinkers are perfectly cool....but lets all for a moment look away from the computer screen and gaze into the distance as we remember being totally off our tits and having one of the greatest nights ever...ah bless alcohol!!:rolleyes: whereas!!! the sober people know what to expect from a night out...when your about to get drunk....its always a mystery...anything could happen!!:D lets be honest....its why we drink!:rolleyes: :o

going to the movies, watching a movie on tv, play playstation and other such stimulating activites.
    They're all rather anti-social activities though....
    I am extremely anti-alcohol but if people want to damage their bodys and die when their 45, that is their choice.
    Irish people have been consuming alcohol in excess for years and our average life expectancy is around 70-80.

I am in no denial that I am anti-social to a point. I don't display the ''charachteristics of an anti-social person as I'm quite an upbeat kind of guy. I have given going out to ''free gafs'' a shot and I can honestly say I walked in, noticed that nobody could hold a decent conversation and walked back out. Having said that I am generally positive, I detest this Irish society were young people continouly blindly follow what society has led them to believe.

I think that statistic might be down to an extremely efficent medical system. We can cover our downfalls with nice little statistics such as the one you presented but it does not hide from the fact that young people are drinking in excess and for no reason other than to fill a void left from their disillusioned and empty lifes.

Oh just to add, the term 'social drinker' was invented so that people could validate their reliance on alcohol.

I detest this Irish society were young people continouly blindly follow what society has led them to believe.
    I'm like that too, only I'm very much to the left, ie. I'm for doing drugs like LSD and MDMA, which are viewed as unacceptable by society, whereas you seem very much to the right.
    young people are drinking in excess and for no reason other than to fill a void left from their disillusioned and empty lifes.
    It's just a fun sociable activity, nothing more and nothing less. I fail to see how this makes people disillusioned and gives them empty lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

young people are drinking in excess and for no reason other than to fill a void left from their disillusioned and empty lifes.

What makes you think young people's lives are disillusioned and empty?!?

Advertisement