Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I have to tell my insurance company....

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

About 2 penalty points, half way through a policy? Is my insurance void if I don't? Obviously I don't wanna ring to ask them, they might cop on although an anonymous phonecall could work. It's my 1st and only penalty points. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

No, just at the renewal, although to be sure,check the small print on yer policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I'm with Hibernian and if I dont disclose penalty points when I get them (does'nt matter if its in the middle of the policy) they put a 2,500 Euro excess on the policy. Your still covered but you have to pay the first 2500 off any claim. So yeah, check the small print ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Why would you not want to tell them.Its only 2 points.It wont affect your policy until you have over 4 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

drdre wrote:
    Why would you not want to tell them.Its only 2 points.It wont affect your policy until you have over 4 i think

That's interesting, I knew 2 points didn't have much effect on insurance.
    But you are saying you need 5 or more before your premium goes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Some companies policies provide a 10% additional discount for 0 points. Then it's "normal price" for 1-4 points, 10% more for anything over 4. So depending on your policy it might have an effect on price at renewal.
    By not disclosing it when you have to (if you have to that is) will effectively mean your insurance could be potentially voided. You have provided incorrect details, the insurance company is entitled to remove cover where the full details have not been disclosed.

I suggest ringing your insurance company, you are better off making sure everything is in order. Otherwise what's the point in paying for it in the first place if cover changes (or is removed) when you need it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I wouldn't bother tellling them at all BrandonBlock. They don't even check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Is your name Brandon Block by any chance?

You just told them... haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

sicruise wrote:
    Is your name Brandon Block by any chance?

You just told them... haha!
    Try Google. Good to know what you are, though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I wouldn't bother tellling them at all BrandonBlock. They don't even check them.

They don't check until you try and make a claim , the same as they don't check if you car is really a turbo....

if you try and make a claim and they find out, your going to find it very hard to find anyone to insure you next year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

About 2 penalty points, half way through a policy? Is my insurance void if I don't? Obviously I don't wanna ring to ask them, they might cop on although an anonymous phonecall could work. It's my 1st and only penalty points. Thanks.
    As others have said, it depends on your policy. No-one here can tell you what your insurers thinks. Remember all that literature they sent you that you just jammed in the back of some drawer without reading it? Take it out and read it, cover-to-cover.

I think I might just change my tagline to RTFM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hey,

My advice would be to just tell them - my insurance company didn't care when I told them about mine (3 years ago). If you don't and they decide to they could make your life very difficult in the case of a claim - why risk it?

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Tell them. Better be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd tell them too. There's no point in paying for insurance if you give them an excuse not to pay out. In any case, I don't think it'll make any difference to the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Do not tell your insurance company until the points are on your license. I got caught speeding 3.5 years ago and told the insurance company before the points were on the license. When I renewed the insurance I lost the zero points discount. The points were removed this year just after renewal but the insurance company wouldn't give me a refund so I ended up losing the discount for 4 years instead of 3. When I rang up about this I was told that I could have told them before renewing that the points were about to expire and I would have got the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

db wrote:
    Do not tell your insurance company until the points are on your license. I got caught speeding 3.5 years ago and told the insurance company before the points were on the license. When I renewed the insurance I lost the zero points discount. The points were removed this year just after renewal but the insurance company wouldn't give me a refund so I ended up losing the discount for 4 years instead of 3. When I rang up about this I was told that I could have told them before renewing that the points were about to expire and I would have got the discount.

Slightly OT but - Db - if I were you I'd be offski like a shot to another company. I've just come through a painful couple of weeks with my insurance company re: getting a discount back-dated for a named driver getting a full license half way through the policy, it took several phone calls a couple of weeks but got me a €170 refund. The threat of moving my business elsewhere was what did it.

Back on topic - Some co's e.g. Hibernian give a higher discount for 0 points, lower for 2 and 'normal' price kicks in at 3, think loading starts at 5 (of course this is all relative) but a change from 0 to 2 would I think drop you from 17% discount to a 10% discount and could be a significant enough amount of money early in your policy, and if you're on a high premium to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

When you first propose for insurance you have a duty of disclosure.

The duty of disclosure revives every year at renewal.

Failure to disclose the points might be construed as non-disclosure of a material fact. That would give insurers an excuse to void your policy in the event of a claim.

Better to disclose at renewal and keep yourself right and avoid getting into a mess if there is an accident. Not all insurers will penalise 2 points anyway.

tuxy wrote:
    That's interesting, I knew 2 points didn't have much effect on insurance.
    But you are saying you need 5 or more before your premium goes up?

It depends on the insurance company.My insurance went up after 4 points.

No actually hibernian can check them at any time as they have the database

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

UrbanFox wrote:
    When you first propose for insurance you have a duty of disclosure.

The duty of disclosure revives every year at renewal.
    and it is usually asked in the manner of "have you any claims or convictions?" Penalty points are neither!

Advertisement