Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So today Im in the mood for a JRPG...

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:32am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I took the time today to get to grips with the Blue Dragon demo today and was thouroughly impressed with the deep combat - havent played an RPG of this type in a while. Unfortunately the game isnt out for a month and a bit, so I have a hankering for some turn based action.

Ill be popping in to town over the weekend and thinking of getting a game of this type to keep me going until the end of August. Something easy enough to get, realtively cheap. I am thinking perhaps Dragon Quest VIII? Alternatives perhaps Disagea (think this will be borderline impossible to find though), Contact or FF12 (the mixed reports are turning me off a little - some say its terrific, others hate it).

A replay of FF6 is keeping me going for the time being, but what does everyone suggest for someone fed up of simplicity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If I'm ever in the mood for a JRPG, take me out the back and shoot me.

Tedious random battles, awful stale characterisation and recycled storylines do not a game make.

Try Yakuza. It's alright, save for the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Suikoden V. Retr0 convinced me to give it another go. Once you get past the rather dull opening it really is an engrossing game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What the hell is a JRPG:confused: ,I just call them rpgs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Japanese RPG!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If it's traditional turn based antics you're after, forget FF12.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

What the hell is a JRPG:confused: ,I just call them rpgs :P

they are like proper RPG's just with all the typical Japanese clichés. Emo-tastic characters with silly hair, random battles and gibberish plots.

Anyway, if you're in the mood for that sort of thng, a friend of mine is playing through Dragon Quest VIII, and it seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

oh so thats what it means =D.I mite get dragon quest tomorrow myself =D,if you have a ps3 enchanted arms is out for that and its out for the 360 as well i think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Suikoden V is very good, and so is Dragon's Quest VIII (although i found it had too many random battles.) Also, if you dont mind a more action oriented fight system, try Rogue Galaxy. I got about 10hrs into (when my disc broke :mad:) and i was really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

if you have a ps3 enchanted arms is out for that and its out for the 360 as well i think.

Back when i was working in a games store i was told that Enchanted Arms is woefully cack, and this was comming from one of our asian regulars who loved RPG's. It didn't particularly sell that well either from what i can remember. But i agree with the others: Dragon Quest VIII and Suikoden V looked quite good and were popular titles.

Ya i was thinking it looked a bit dodgey alrite...was gonna get it when i got my ps3,but i dunno now if i should,but its scored pretty well on ign.com,got 7.6 or sumthing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd stay well away for FF12, I found it horrendously dull. I'd say go for Dragon Quest VIII, it's probably the best JRPG since FFX. Really wonderful stuff. Suikoden V is also a wonderful game but as said it takes a while to really get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I took the time today to get to grips with the Blue Dragon demo today and was thouroughly impressed with the deep combat - havent played an RPG of this type in a while. Unfortunately the game isnt out for a month and a bit, so I have a hankering for some turn based action.

Ill be popping in to town over the weekend and thinking of getting a game of this type to keep me going until the end of August. Something easy enough to get, realtively cheap. I am thinking perhaps Dragon Quest VIII? Alternatives perhaps Disagea (think this will be borderline impossible to find though), Contact or FF12 (the mixed reports are turning me off a little - some say its terrific, others hate it).

A replay of FF6 is keeping me going for the time being, but what does everyone suggest for someone fed up of simplicity?

I have disagea mint condition. ill sell it to you if you like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thanks for the recommendations. Picked up Dragon Quest in the end. I'll see you all in 70 hours or so then.

Advertisement