Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm stopped working - options?

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

so I have an Aritech house alarm that has stopped working. It started showing a battery wrning light and then stopped. I've checked the fusebox and that is ok but there doesn't seem to be any power - the keypad and pirs show nothing.

The question now is can I simply get the aritech panel replaced as obviously all the pirs / sensors and bell box are in place. I had a look inside the panel to see if there was another fuse but found nothing.

What options do I have other than a brand new replacement for the alarm and sensors?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Hi jimmycrackcorm,
    Sounds like the Batt has died on you. Sometimes when this happens the PCB board in your alarm panel can become damaged.
    There is no reason why you cant replace the alarm panel. All the sensors are standard and should fit with another ARITECH or HKC panel.
    If you decide to tackle this yourself lable all the cables in the panel and record where they go before disconnecting the old panel.
    When buying a new panel ensure you purchase a new battery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah, there are a number of fuses in a panel too, replacing the panel should be easy and as Finneganjp said it's all about marking the old cables up before you disconnect them, if it's your first time (with the power off) I'd have a good look at both panels open beside each other, and take a photo of the old panels connections if you have a digital camera, make sure you are happy about where every cable goes, do it in your head first.

BTW, I'd try a new battery first too, if that's not it then you'll have a new battery for your new panel anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thanks, I saw fuses in the panel and they look ok too. I was thinking along the same lines of labelling the wires.

The battery looks odd, I don't know where I'd get a replacement, and where would I get a replacement panel also?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Finneganjp wrote:
    Hi jimmycrackcorm,
    Sounds like the Batt has died on you. Sometimes when this happens the PCB board in your alarm panel can become damaged.
    There is no reason why you cant replace the alarm panel. All the sensors are standard and should fit with another ARITECH or HKC panel.
    If you decide to tackle this yourself lable all the cables in the panel and record where they go before disconnecting the old panel.
    When buying a new panel ensure you purchase a new battery too.

Thanks for the advice. I went off to Maplin and bought a new battery and it's been working ever since. This post has saved me several hundred yoyos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Hi jimmycrackcorm,
    Glad you got it working, however I dont think your troubles are over yet. The Alarm should have still operated when the battery failled. Judging by the fact it now works since a fully charged battery was installed I cant help wondering if the part of the panel that controls the primary power, ie the mains supply converted to 12V DC is damaged. If this is so, the panel will only remain working as long as there is juice in the battery.
    The panel might even read 'mains power fault'.
    Hope im wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement