Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb 088 to launch Monday

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

watty wrote:

I really like that. Always found it annoying how with DSL and 3G broadband, PPPoE gets used.

Now I hope Digiweb will publish their coverage plans for the next 12 months, beyond just saying "soon" all over the place. Soon is overused... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

I read some where that one reason that Digiweb will be able to provide country wide coverage is because you need much fewer cells due to the larger cell foot print. Is this true? I seem to recall a figure of 40km mentioned with regard to range.

Will this technology suffer from the same draw backs as mobile 3G, as so well described by watty. How many client devices will each cell be able to support and will the cell breathing phenomena occur?
    It would truly be an anticlimax if this is the case!

Obviously Digiweb will look to cover the large urban areas first. So a decent planned coverage map would be a big plus if you're listening Digiweb! In fact you might find that people who were planning to invest in a 3G modem may defer if it was thought that your service was going to be rolled out country wide fairly quickly.

Zug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Any idea when they'll roll this out in South Dublin and Dublin City Centre, and Cork city too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

40km range would not generally be useful except in the Australian outback.

It's a quite different technology to 3G, but there are some basic physical principles that can't be broken by any technology.

The sectors can connect more modems than 3G. In densely populated areas you want smaller cells and in sparse rural areas you can have bigger cells. Cell breathing should be minimal, but I've not heard any reports from Slovakia.

Unlike 3G the latency (ping) does not seem to be affected by more users, remaining at 1/4 to 1/7th of 3G/HSDPA ping time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ceepee wrote:
    decent share of Fingal is rural too and will be well serviced...

the info which went out was included in a mail to some existing customers letting them know of the initial service availability pre-launch ...

Waves! :)

• Advertisement

Cheers watty.
    Lets hope that Digiweb roll this out quickly.
    This should give the mobile companies and Eircom something to think about!

Zug

What's the story with the Nurney exchange in Kildare. It was on the list of 100 published last October?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I hope this works out. Digiweb seem to be a decent company and I hope they do nationwide roll out as planned which they'll need if they intend to offer voice over this service too (I think they do but don't know for sure).

Can the users in Fingal keep boards users posted on how this service is working out in the coming months so we can see if they are going to oversell it, end up with crap service and bad customer support like almost every other broadband provider in the country that promises people the moon and the stars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

ceepee wrote:
    just to ensure no confusion here the service in Fingal would be the f-ofdm based Mobile Broadband service, initially with data rates up to 5.3mbps - voice services (088) will not be released until early 2008... coverage is heading for 100% today and exceeds that of all other operators in the area....

I recently launched a wifi service in my neighbourhood, from a router sitting in my house. Initially with data rates up to 54Mbps. Voice services are coming soon. Coverage is heading for 100% today and exceeds that of all other operators in the area.

I haven't done up a web site or issued a press release, but interested parties can contact me directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

With 20 users they should get about 100kbps each at 100m or if your backhaul is only 1M they will get about 25kbps each :) If the users are further away the data rate is likely to be 10kbps each no matter how good the backhaul is. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I see this states that the speed is Up To 5.3Mb

As an Ice broadband subscriber im a bit sceptical of a claim of "Up To".

Does anyone know what kind of speeds punters can realistically expect here.
    Lets say the mast is fully subscribed, what speed would you get then?
    As with 3 and O2 as it gets more popular will it get more rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Whatever happened to Digiweb 088? All news about it has stopped. Do they still have the license, and if so should it be taken back because they ended up not doing anything with it?

What's the inside story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Manufacturer abandoned the product and it never expanded beyond North Dublin. dunno if it is still live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Digiweb 088? All news about it has stopped. Do they still have the license, and if so should it be taken back because they ended up not doing anything with it?

What's the inside story?

Think the license could be up this year so it'll go back anyway as they are not using it. Wasn't much spectrum associated with it and it was the higher block offered by Comreg at the time.

Anyone know what happened to the other 2 blocks of 450MHz spectrum that were awarded at the same time. (again very small blocks)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

some Norwegian company got them IIRC but I never heard of any services, anothe rfine Comreg mess it all was anyway :(

Advertisement