Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning kittens

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi all

I have 3 kittens that are now five and a half weeks old and they do not want to start eating or drinking for themselves. I am desperate for them to start as I need to get their mother spayed.

I've tried the usual sticking their noses in the milk (and I've tried water). I've mashed up food with milk but to no avail. Have to find homes for these kittens soon as well, as I'm going on holidays so they have to be eating.

Other than that, they are extremely lively and healthy. Any suggestions

Thanks.

Oh, and p.s. if anyone in the Clare region wants a kitten, let me know!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

www.kittenadoption.ie - you'll find all the best info there - they also have a message board which is worth a look ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You will have to give them pure mush for a little while so some canned food+water and maybe some powder of powdered milk(tiny bit) like replacement for mothers milk, not cows milk. Also try putting a little bit of food on your finger and they might take to it, then move slowly into the bowl and they might find it. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We had 4 kittens, 3 of them were eating solids at 6 weeks, the other one wasn't. She was only drinking kitten milk and feeding from the mother.
    We got the mother spayed when the kittens were 8 weeks, the kittens are now 12 weeks and the 4th one is finally eating solids (she prefers kitten biscuits) but she is still feeding from the mother as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

milk is not good for small kittens unles its a bottled milk for cats ( says for cats on bottle) Kittens can be weaned from early age if kept away from the adult females. as soon as they are hungry introduce cat milk and kitten food..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JasperMcEwan

Mash cooked chicken with boiled rice. Do not give them regular milk. Rub a little on their paws and they will lick it off. Be patient they will all be eating soon.

I have two 9 week old kittens. I am looking for good homes. PM if interested

• Advertisement
Advertisement