Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trevor Strat - PM Idiot (Watch Out Potter Fans!)

Options
  • 20-07-2007 1:20am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Morning to all..

Just a word of caution to Potter Fans.. a chap by the name of Trevor Strat is sending out spoilers via PM. Subject "hi" the message contains a summary of all the
    deaths, who marries who etc.

Id imagine this doesn't bother Boards.ie, but you might be presently surprised by doing an IP Check - probably a regular member, different nick. I don't know if Mods care, but I said id post it just so ye knew if ya wanted to check or ban for trolling. Wasn't allowed write back. :|

Seems idiotic to me.. regular members seem to get a kick out of registering extra accounts to troll about Boards. Luckily the message didn't bother me, as im not a major HP fan and I don't care if I find out in advance what happens. Tho, I feel sorry for those true fans who do care and these no-lifers, unemployed and single wasters spoil it on them. Get a grip lads, do something better with your free time.

Anywhome, cheers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Was brought to my attention a few moments ago and nuked the user, thanks. Any other regular readers of the HP forum (or the moderators), send me a PM if the issue comes up again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dont suppose you checked to see if its a regular?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Sully wrote:
    Morning to all..

Just a word of caution to Potter Fans.. a chap by the name of Trevor Strat is sending out spoilers via PM.

Id imagine this doesn't bother Boards.ie, but you might be presently surprised by doing an IP Check - probably a regular member, different nick. I don't know if Mods care, but I said id post it just so ye knew if ya wanted to check or ban for trolling. Wasn't allowed write back. :|

Seems idiotic to me.. regular members seem to get a kick out of registering extra accounts to troll about Boards. Luckily the message didn't bother me, as im not a major HP fan and I don't care if I find out in advance what happens. Tho, I feel sorry for those true fans who do care and these no-lifers, unemployed and single wasters spoil it on them. Get a grip lads, do something better with your free time.

Anywhome, cheers.

I'm pretty much ambivalent to the whole thing but, Sully, you may want to spoiler tag the whole
    edited
    thing - just in case..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fair point but I thought that was obvious - didnt the writer already say that this was going to happen? Heck, 2FM made several references to it today..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

tbh - I've no idea.. but still.. it seems to be a pretty sensitive subject.. it's not really my bag..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yep, just got it and was coming in here to give out...

thanks for lookin after it...

Is the boards.ie member picking people that were complaining about the troll(s) in the HP Forum, or is he just sending it at random?

What a looser.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Probably a good time to hover over links too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Just got the email too but my eyes fell to keywords so I was able to close it before reading anything bad. I'm not a huge fan - but no one likes a good book to be spoiled.

That guy deserves a good kick in the balls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

For fucks sake. I opened the damn PM, but figured out what it was after I read the first line. What a fúcking wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Yup got it too, twat.

I hope an Admin will check the IP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

have you guys checked if it was a psuedo account for a regular user?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I'd imagine he sent it to everyone on boards. The only HP things I've posted on was that other feedback thread and if he saw my post he'd know I already knew what happened - by implication - and also one post in the HP forum of late openings tonight in Nenagh.

Interestingly..... his PM is a cut and paste of an exact post on the Football365 forum.

Fair play to RUU, its a pity that PM's from banned members dont get deleated I'd say a lot of HP fans may not be too happy today when they opened their boxes.

Anyway, I'm sure he's having a good giggle and if he is a reg he's probably only gone and opened an account from an Internet Cafe and so an IP search might be well pointless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6905873.stm

I thought I had seen something about Rowling saying that some of the spoilers were true.
    Can't seem to find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I got one too, I had already read those spoilers(somebody left them as a comment on a random youtube video) so it was nothing new but it's still a pretty sh!tty thing to do!!

its a pity that PM's from banned members dont get deleated I'd say a lot of HP fans may not be too happy today when they opened their boxes.

In another forum I used to work on, they used to do that. Its a bit of work in the database, but all the spammed PMs just get sent back to the user and there privilages of sending revoked. Twas great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

in and around releases of big movies/final episodes its good to stear away from opening e-mails or pm's from unknown sources.

also even if your in a topic about say the 2nd last episode, be wearey some people will post without spoilers. its best to avoid discission of said movie/tv show until its finished.

anyway ive never liked HP or LOTR so the "big" releases spoilers have never effected me. except for die hard 4.0 ive know the story line and ending of that movie for a good 6 years now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The idiot put the most boring "spoiler" first.

Well, Boring IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I seriously doubt you're old enough that someone telling you what happened in the end of Lord of the Rings would have been a spoiler since the books were around since 1955.

It's like someone telling you what happens in the end of Titanic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Amz wrote:
    It's like someone telling you what happens in the end of Titanic.
    Don't ruin it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I got the PM as well. It didnt bother me though as I'm not a fan of HP.

I heard in the news this morning that Wiki locked the HP section of the site so no-one could put up spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looks like many people got. Luckily for me, I just saw Harry Potter and then closed my eyes. I normally dont mind looking at spoilers, but for this, I dont know many(if any), so I'm gonna keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Ah! I seen the first line and closed it immediately. BAH! What a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Saw the first line, looked away, covered that part of the screen with my hand and exited it. So sad. Don't mind though, the first line wasn't too exciting. Going to pick it up tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Got added on msn by someone named 'bubbles' who proceeded to post up harry potter spoilers.
    This is the only website that has my msn address. Not anymore.
    Flippin hell, I knew I shouldn't have come on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Got added on msn by someone named 'bubbles' who proceeded to post up harry potter spoilers.

I just read this and thought....mass PM's + spoilers = bubbles !?!
    I never got a PM and feel unloved !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I just read this and thought....mass PM's + spoilers = bubbles !?!
    I never got a PM and feel unloved !

Bubbles doesn't love you, Bubbles doesn't love you, Bubbles doesn't love you, Bubbles doesn't love you, Bubbles doesn't love you, Bubbles doesn't love you!!! :p

Good auld Bubbles!!!

Just got that one myself.

I don't really care for harry potter and I know not to click any links.

Dont suppose any admin checked to see if the poster is a regular Boardsie?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

PMs deleted.

Advertisement