Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new business need some design help

Options
  • 20-07-2007 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi all

ive just started up a small business and overlooked some SmAll things:o

i am looking for someone to design a business card/ with logo that could be used for letterheads, website etc...

my funds are limited so cant afford high street prices and printer i went to wasnt most helpful

any help would be much appreciated

please pm if your interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

hi etcetc

Go to another printer (there's no point in getting someone on here to design something lovely if they don't understand the intricacies of logo/print design... you may get some "designers" on here doing it in photoshop etc).
    Please think about what you need before you go and communicate clearly what you need. There's no point coming to a printer and expecting them to read your mind.

I can't emphasise this enough - time spent clarifying it beforehand will save you an awful lot of time, hassle, money and agravation. However, be big enough to realise that you're dealing with a professional who designs for a living. Yes, you may like what you've done but that doesn't mean it's any good - be big enough to realise that they may know better.
    And before you ask, yes, I am a graphic designer in a printers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

minikin wrote:
    hi etcetc

Go to another printer (there's no point in getting someone on here to design something lovely if they don't understand the intricacies of logo/print design... you may get some "designers" on here doing it in photoshop etc).
    Please think about what you need before you go and communicate clearly what you need. There's no point coming to a printer and expecting them to read your mind.

I can't emphasise this enough - time spent clarifying it beforehand will save you an awful lot of time, hassle, money and agravation. However, be big enough to realise that you're dealing with a professional who designs for a living. Yes, you may like what you've done but that doesn't mean it's any good - be big enough to realise that they may know better.
    And before you ask, yes, I am a graphic designer in a printers.

lol! come down off your high horse buddy.. Hes not asking someone to split the atom..

You sound like someone trying to make a mountain out of a molehill..

OP, you should be able to find someone who will do you up some logos for pretty cheap..its a simple job..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I know a newly qualified graphic designer who would love the work and wouldnt charge premium rates(i assume) and he would definitley do it properly

pm me if you want his details

Orange69 wrote:
    lol! come down off your high horse buddy.. Hes not asking someone to split the atom..

You sound like someone trying to make a mountain out of a molehill..

OP, you should be able to find someone who will do you up some logos for pretty cheap..its a simple job..

clearly this isn't what you do for a living or you would not be so flippant about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

eh, not on any high horse orange69. I am speaking from experience and trying to do the OP a favour. I get people coming in to us day in day out with "logos" that their mate has "designed up".

These are invariably
    1. raster files embedded in word files,
    2. low res,
    3. rgb,
    4. completely irrelevant to the company
    5. really badly designed

We then proceed to charge the client €50+vat per hour (which is good value compared to a design house) to create printable artwork... it's not pretty simple, anyone that thinks it is has never worked at it. I'm not some arty farty graphic designer, I work on everything from business cards to memorial cards to large brochures for the likes of joe soap carpenter to large national companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

minikin's 100% correct, I've just spent some of last week redoing a companies artwork as they hired a 'designer' on the cheap, and it was unprintable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

OP: Give us a shout. We design such material - for printing. We have a good relationship with a local printer so we can get the design and printing done, and have it sent to you. Plus, we don't charge an arm and a leg. Quality but affordable - guaranteed.

I can see where others are coming from, but it really does depend on who you pick. We work with the printers and the client so both are happy - the client gets a design he likes, and the printer is able to print them fine.

Edit: Stupid spelling mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

thanks for replies

pms sent

replied to you etc hope he can help

Advertisement