Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been lost in the wilderness, bring me up-to-date

Options
  • 20-07-2007 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Been without broadband since last december :eek:, don't have the patience for dial up, not been able to keep up to date on all the technological goings on (except for cpc mag). Only got back online other day. Can someone please fill in the gap 4 me :D.

BTW grats to unklerosco, well impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

welcome back.

yoyo oh god where to start.

well fist you can say good buy to anti for 2 weeks :o

the new nivida range came out a while back the 8600,8800 serise.

the 8800gtx/ultra is the top perfromer even tho ati just relested a new card a month ago and it was only par to the 8800 gts.

the new quads are out and also on then 24th or july C2D will be droped in price.
    you will be able to get a q6600(quad core @ 2.4) for $266 and a E6850@3.0 for $266.

nothing much else has happend excpt for new chipsets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

See every1's copyin me with the tuniq tower :D

Ya, read bout the nvidia cards, & that they not handling dx10 games very well. but great in dx9.

Didn't realise quads were goin that cheap, dunno if they got them 2 work on my mobo yet.

How the new chipsets? Whats da best oc'er @ mo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

atm intels p35 cipset is the king.

think ur mobo supports quads with upgrade.

have alook around the tweaking and modding area and the new sub forum(http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=968)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

most importantly a lot of the old regulars have become lurkers now, posting the odd comment every now and again lol :D, wizZard, gline, Krazy_8s, Syx_pak, hopeful, chosen... i'm talking about yous ;). flaccus has single handedly been saturating the irish market with cheap quad cores from DELL.

Vista is crap.. the wow certainly is not now. The first gen DX10 cards handle DX9 great, but struggle hard when running DX10.

The next gen consoles have pretty much bridged the gap, IMO ;), between PC and console gaming, offering HD gaming graphics and DVDs, online play, downloadable content, upgradable HDDs and media center abilities. They are also compatible with keyboards and mice, the gamepad on the Xbox 360 is so good that they are going to start mixing online play with PC users (i.e. shadowrun)

With the failings of DX10, the excessive costs of present hardware and the nearly complete lack of pc exclusives (anyone remember any PC only games being previewed at E3'07 last week?) its a bad time right now to invest in PC gaming. I'd sit on what you've got for another year and see where PC gaming is then, maybe pick up a 65nm core Xbox 360 in the meantime (the 90nm core has been plagued with heat issues, problems now coined as the RRoD "Red Ring of Death"). It is going to take more than exclusive titles like Crysis and maybe Project Offset to resurrect the PC gaming genre.

The iPhone is closing the gap between mobile devices and PC's, but this gen seems to be beta due to its amount of bugs.

Microsoft Surface is amazing but I can't see it making its way into the home in the near future ;)

Quad cores ain't all they's cracked up to be, stick with high end dual core for the time being until some more quad core optimized software is released.

Penryn, Barcelona and DDR3 are now current gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

air cooling is the new water cooling.....and brown is the new black:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Oh yeah, the Tuniq is no longer the best air cooler, the Ultra 120 extreme is with a decent 12cm fan. There's also the IFX-14, but I haven't seen many reviews of it yet, I don't even know if its released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

yoyo tech have it on their website me thinks i'll go check

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM €99.95 at Komplett
    all the extra storage you need.

Advertisement