Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Transit spare wheel, annoying problem

Options
  • 20-07-2007 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am having a major problem with my spare wheel in my Ford Transit van. It is held underneath the van in a mount... but there is a stupid security device which prevents the jack being inserted into a hole in the back of the van in order to loosen the mount to get the wheel... the security bolt has to be removed by opening the back door and undoing it...

BUT IN MY VAN I CAN'T UNDO THE SECURITY BOLT.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

So I can't get the bloody wheel off.... :( :mad:

It is so stupid to make the wheel so secure that nobody, even the van owner, can't get at it...

It is the same as welding the doors shut, standing back and saying.. 'Great, I'd love to see someone rob my van now!' :)

Does anyone know how to get the security bolt off the van?

Cheers
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BUT IN MY VAN I CAN'T UNDO THE SECURITY BOLT.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is siezed or can you not access it? I assume you mean the bolt (with the screwdriver slot) on the bottom of the right door frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Yes, it's seized... (the bolt (with the screwdriver slot) on the bottom of the right door frame.)

I can access the top of the nut with the screwdriver slot... however it just turns and turns and turns... I have no way to hold the nut at the other end of the bolt... I can't get a spanner in and I don't see any special tool to do this in the kit... I thought possibly I was supposed to be using the long bar for the jack, when it's folded in half it looks as if it may work but it doesn't...

Even if I could get a spanner onto the nut it still looks as if it would be very difficult to open, you know how hard it can be to open seized nuts, I'd need to be able to get a spanner securely on to have any hope.

My options now seems to be to use and angle grinder to remove the security bolt, this coult be quite tricky though..

In a brand new van do you only have to turn the bolt using the screwdriver slot without holding the nut at the other end? There are far better engineering solutions to this problem than the one Ford have come up with... I could come up with several...

Thanks for the reply, hopefully you'll be able to offer a bit more help.

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement