Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

www.irishspeedtraps.com

Options
  • 20-07-2007 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone know if they have closed down http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/ cause the site is coming up with " Service Unavailable " on all their pages ?,

Is there any other sites with good content like the above ?,

Thanks,

Promote Safe Driving -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

its probably dead from a mass volume of traffic hitting it after it was featured on the RTE news yesterday. just wait til everyone wakes up again and im sure itll be back in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

On RTE Radio 1 at this very moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

It's back working again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I see they made the second story on the 9o'Clock news yesterday evening.

Fair play, I am 100% behind them..

80% of accidents on single carriageway rural roads,
    probably about 2% of cameras on these same roads.

Road safety policy my ar$e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

What a pack of w@nkers, whats next, a section on the website where drink drivers can see where road blocks are setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have not used the site yet but what's the harm in telling people where the gardai are setting up most frequently? If it's gets people to slow down in these areas then how is it a bad thing?
    The Gardai can still, & DO still set up additional speed checks in other locations, so if people think that this is a way of avoiding getting caught they would be sorely mistaken.

EDIT: Tried to open the website here at work & it's a restricted page in here due "illegal" material! We are not as restricted in internet use as some companies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

DonJose wrote:
    What a pack of w@nkers, whats next, a section on the website where drink drivers can see where road blocks are setup.

Thats a different ballgame,

Knowing where speed traps are means that drivers will obey the limit as they pass them, hence they have served their purpose and kept drivers at the 'safe' limit.

So, the obvious thing to do is to put speed cameras on the most dangerous stretches of road (as deemed by accident statistics, and not by a bunch of elected half-wits) and advertise them. The result? People maintain safe speeds at these dangerous spots, and there is most likely an immediate drop in road deaths.

This begs the follow on question, why are these spots dangerous? Road surface, signage, design, bad junctions etc. So surely it is obvious that a lack of interest by the government and the roads authority for figuring out exactly why black spots, are black spots, that they are not really committed to road safety. It is easier to blanket blame 'speeding'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

gatso_m1.jpg

Considering one of the rules on the motorway is no stopping, how legal is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

If someone dies on a stretch of road or on a bend, they should put a camera there, name it after the dead person even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

irishspeedtraps.com i have found thier website to be unreilable at times escpecially when your trying to add a camea locatio like i did this mouring but get a message service unavailable.

• Advertisement

Tom McGurk is going to cover the subject on the Today show this morning, RTE Radio 1, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They probably exceeded their webhost's traffic limit because of the news exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Hi Guys,

We are having a lot of problems with the site, the hosting company are looking into it.

jjbrien, it is up now if you would like to try again.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Hi Guys,

We are having a lot of problems with the site, the hosting company are looking into it.

jjbrien, it is up now if you would like to try again.

Thanks
    got it in now another gasto van on the n2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nuttzz wrote:
    gatso_m1.jpg

Considering one of the rules on the motorway is no stopping, how legal is this?
    Isn't it a Garda vehicle?

Here's the item from this morning's Morning Ireland-
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0720/morningireland_av.html?2271170,242,209

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

DonJose wrote:

Whats your problem with it? If everyone knows where speed cameras are located, everyone will take better care with their speed & help reduce road deaths.
    Fair play to the lads for taking the time to set it up, the RSA thinks its a good idea.

Keith C wrote:
    Whats your problem with it? If everyone knows where speed cameras are located, everyone will take better care with their speed & help reduce road deaths.
    Fair play to the lads for taking the time to set it up, the RSA thinks its a good idea.
    Everyone won't know though, will they? Let's be honest here, the site is only of interest to those of us who intend on breaking the speed limit.

Anan1 wrote:
    Isn't it a Garda vehicle?
    Almost certainly, but without high visibility reflectors and strobe lights it's in as much danger and poses as much danger to other road users as any other vehicle parked up on the hard shoulder.

Rovi wrote:
    Almost certainly, but without high visibility reflectors and strobe lights it's in as much danger and poses as much danger to other road users as any other vehicle parked up on the hard shoulder.
    But it's not even on the hard shoulder?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Everyone won't know though, will they? Let's be honest here, the site is only of interest to those of us who intend on breaking the speed limit.
    I disagree....it would be very handy for those moments when you slip a few kph above the speed limit and you get done.

fletch wrote:
    I disagree....it would be very handy for those moments when you slip a few kph above the speed limit and you get done.
    Would most people go to the trouble of regularly checking the site on the off-chance that they might accidentally slip a few km/h over the limit?

Anan1 wrote:
    But it's not even on the hard shoulder?
    I suppose that makes it okay then.
    In civilised places with proper motorway police, parking/stopping like that will result in short order in a police vehicle lit up like a Christmas tree parked behind you and a member of the constabulary in a high-vis jacket enquiring as to the nature of your emergency. And it had better be something of a very serious medical/mechanical nature, or there'll be hell to pay.

Anan1 wrote:
    Would most people go to the trouble of regularly checking the site on the off-chance that they might accidentally slip a few km/h over the limit?
    I doubt....but I still wouldn't mind uploading all of the locations on to my sat nav and setting an alarm to alert me when I'm approaching a camera...Also the site could include an updates section, where each time a new camera is added, a news item (or something to that effect) is added.

fletch wrote:
    I doubt....but I still wouldn't mind uploading all of the locations on to my sat nav and setting an alarm to alert me when I'm approaching a camera...Also the site could include an updates section, where each time a new camera is added, a news item (or something to that effect) is added.
    Now that would be handy. Thing is, most of out patrols are currently mobile and therefore hard to predict. I know they have fairly set habits, but they only have to be lucky once..

Rovi wrote:
    I suppose that makes it okay then.
    In civilised places with proper motorway police, parking/stopping like that will result in short order in a police vehicle lit up like a Christmas tree parked behind you and a member of the constabulary in a high-vis jacket enquiring as to the nature of your emergency. And it had better be something of a very serious medical/mechanical nature, or there'll be hell to pay.
    Take a few deep breaths, Rovi. I know it's early, but i'm merely pointing out that it's not on or blocking the hard shoulder.

Rovi wrote:
    Here's the item from this morning's Morning Ireland-
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0720/morningireland_av.html?2271170,242,209
    On right now (11:13am).

Anan1 wrote:
    Take a few deep breaths, Rovi. I know it's early, but i'm merely pointing out that it's not on or blocking the hard shoulder.
    Thank you for your condescension, I'm merely pointing out that managing to get a vehicle onto a patch of gravel that's not the actual asphalt surface of the main carriageway or the hard shoulder is merely a technicality wouldn't cut much ice with motorway police anywhere.

Rovi wrote:
    Thank you for your condescension, I'm merely pointing out that managing to get a vehicle onto a patch of gravel that's not the actual asphalt surface of the main carriageway or the hard shoulder is merely a technicality wouldn't cut much ice with motorway police anywhere.
    Honestly Rovi, it's a Garda camera van. Contrary to your earlier assertion, it's not on either the road or the hard shoulder, and is causing no obstruction to traffic. What exactly are you giving out about here?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Honestly Rovi, it's a Garda camera van. Contrary to your earlier assertion, it's not on either the road or the hard shoulder, and is causing no obstruction to traffic. What exactly are you giving out about here?
    Being a Garda vehicle doesn't exclude it from the laws of physics should a mechanical failure or driver error send another vehicle off the main carriageway and into/across the hard shoulder.
    Motorway bridge columns, emergency phones, signposts, purpose built Garda 'parking' facilities, etc, are all (in my experience and as far as I can recollect) protected behind earth banks and/or barriers, does this not say something about stopping in an unprotected position beside one of these roads?
    Are you seriously suggesting that it's okay to park up on a motorway, provided you can get your wheels off the actual asphalt part?
    There's often a good bit of space on the central median where a vehicle would fit, would that be okay too?

Advertisement