Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why do people just stand on the escalators

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

every time i'm on one i want to kick the standing people down them, since this is sligo i'm living in there are plenty of rubes who are content on holding up the only one in the county.
    i remember my first (serious, non shopping centre) escalator trip in the london underground, i was about 12 and i had a giant rucksack as i was with scouts. i took up room and was quickly shoved into place, then again it was 8am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

rubadub wrote:
    what annoys me more is people standing at the top, waiting ages to get on, foot hovering over it like it is some mad new invention they have never been on before.

You should try the Moscow Metro. The escalators are faster than the freaking trains :eek: It takes several days to get used to them.

I avoid Tesco in Jervis due to fat arsed idiots blocking the travelators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

mukki wrote:
    those slightly sloping stepless escellators
    As Tar pointed out, they are called travellators.

I also hate standing still on escalators and travellators, just watching my life pass by. I don't mind that other people stand still - if they have nothing better to do with their time then they might as well just stand there - as long as they don't impede me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mukki wrote:
    christ them things only do about 2 mph!!!

okay, i dont mind people standing on normal escalators, but whats the story with people just standing on those slightly sloping stepless escellators?

Have you ever tried sitting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What also gets me is the people who, when they get to the end of the escalator, instead of walking on and clearing the area, suddenly come to an abrupt stop for a chat and a look around, oblivious to the pile-up of people behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

if you walk up the down travelator or down the up travelator it seems that you are staying still while the whole world is moving, give it a go it's way cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

running on travelators is fun, that is until you come to the end and fall flat on your face from the momentum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

cooperguy wrote:
    No its not what they are designed for. They were designed to move crowds around faster not slow down the whole process.

No, they were designed to save people from having to use there legs on steps. (Actually, if you check wikipedia, they seemed to have been designed because some guy had too much time on his hands).

Regardless, I stand to the right on them. Life moves fast enough without these "devil stairs" moving you faster!

Dacelonid wrote:
    The ones in the Square Waterford being the best example I can think of.
    /Dace

They have escalators down the country now ? when did that happen ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ponderer

ah they were designed so that you don't have to walk up and down......cant understand why someone even needs to ask......next we will having a thread asking why elevators were invited :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ponderer wrote:
    next we will having a thread asking why elevators were invited :rolleyes:
    To give a lift to the party? :D

OK, OK, sorry! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Don't be sorry,I'm suprised it took a half hour for someone to say it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I like to walk on them because it feels like I'm moving at a hyperspeed with little effort.

But Yeah, Irish people have no movement etiquette. It's evident in traffic and in crowds. It's like they are completley oblivious to others around them. It is really evident when you live somewhere else for a while and get into the rythym of crowd movement there, then come back to this sleepy backwater of toothless hags and their terror children standing around haphazourdly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bolliwoodi

JESUS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k if people stand in the middle i push them aside and say "Sorry i have to be somewhere ok"

And if they dont move i say " JESUS MOVE YA SPASTIC"

SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

i never stand in the centre its pure ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

MooseJam wrote:
    if you walk up the down travelator or down the up travelator it seems that you are staying still while the whole world is moving, give it a go it's way cool

Couldn't you just stand still on a non travelling normal floor and look around you and get the same effect? Am I missin somethin? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

What I find really strange is how people stand until the last 3 metres, and then walk the rest of the way.

Also, I don't think the problem is whether or not people stand on it or not, if you want to stand on it, that's fine. But it works better if everybody stands on the same side. Then the standers can stand, and the walkers can walk.
    Or is there no room for compromise in the world of escalator etiquette???

Peared wrote:
    Couldn't you just stand still on a non travelling normal floor and look around you and get the same effect? Am I missin somethin? :confused:

no not the same at all, does it look like the shops are moving standing still on a normal floor ? it looks like everything is moving walking up a down travelator, try it sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

A wise old saying goes, When in rome do as the romans do.

In london I stand aside but in Ireland I relax.

If you have a problem go for a walk in the lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ponster wrote:
    Walk on the left, stand on the right.

It's the "rule" in most countries but not everyone is aware of it.
    Ya, noticed that too. Most people follow it.
    Makes things so much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

People have to realise.......some are in a hurry, some aren't.

For those who aren't, please get the **** out of my way. Notice, I said please

For those who are, everyday manners go a long way in smoothing the way of one's journey.

But thinking about things, has brought me to a strange conclusion. I think that going up a normal stairs on the left, is logical, using the rules of the road. Even though we're not on one, I know. Now, thinking about the 'stand on right, pass on left' system such as London etc, is against that 'rule'. If following the rules of the road, it should be stand on the left, pass on the right, as on a dual carriageway or motorway overtaking lane.

I'm totally confused now. Thanks mainly to myself.

We live such contradictory lives.

Damo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Ponster wrote:
    Walk on the left, stand on the right.

It's the "rule" in most countries but not everyone is aware of it.
    Not most countries. I've found at many airports it's the same as the side of the road driven in that country. @ Orly in Paris it's stand on the left walk on the right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The stand on the right, walk on the left system works perfectly. It should be used everywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Lirange wrote:
    Not most countries. I've found at many airports it's the same as the side of the road driven in that country. @ Orly in Paris it's stand on the left walk on the right!

Really? I've only been to Orly once in 10 years in Paris but I can't imagine anyone standing on the left and not getting people upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I stand still and put my arms on both handrails just to annoy those behind me.
    I need these little annoyances to bring joy to my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Johnny Meagher

bolliwoodi wrote:
    And if they dont move i say " JESUS MOVE YA SPASTIC"
    that'd only work on the travellator in the square in Waterford though, no one else would know what you were talking about ;)
    am I the only person here who sits on escalators?
    nah, if I walk on an elevator I feel like I am taking life too seriously, it'd be like being on a train and walking up the aisle to the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Its an escalator, you stand still and it moves you upwards or downwards. Like magic.

The ones you have to propel yourself up or down are called stairs, and if people standing on escalators bothers you so much I suggest you use the stairs instead. You're almost 100% sure not to find anyone standing motionless on these to interrupt your hectic schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Anto McC wrote:
    Sheer laziness, why should they move when something else will get them there without them making an effort.

depends on my mood, if im hungover or in general not feeling in the mood for walking to much or if ive been dragged around crappy women shops for half the day im in no mood to "rush" to the next one so i generally just stand there

get over it.. ill generally make way, or if your a scumbag i will hold both sides of the black belt and wait for you to say something to me coz in general if im standing there im having a bad day.. and i cant wait for some idiot to complain to me about such a minuscule thing so i can take my bad day out on you.

C'est La Vie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I walk when I can but there's usually a fat yoke in front of you so the most you can walk on those things is a few steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SumGuy wrote:
    What I find really strange is how people stand until the last 3 metres, and then walk the rest of the way.

When you come close to the top the steps start to reduce in size as they join into each other. The steps on escalators are very high compared to a normal stairs, this is part of the reason people do not walk on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if I walk on an elevator I feel like I am taking life too seriously

Maybe not taking your life too seriously but there would be something gone wrong anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

wow this thread really seperates the stoners from the prudes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Slightly different but in DCU they have some doors that open when you hit a button, they're for disabled people, to make it easier and so forth. The normal pull/push doors are right beside them. People still walk up and hit the button and wait for the door to open instead of using the others. It's the same with escalators tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

BrightEyes wrote:
    I stand still and put my arms on both handrails just to annoy those behind me.
    I need these little annoyances to bring joy to my life

I do that too sometimes, haven't tried it in London or Europe though..hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i was i blanchardstown yesterday, and with my new found boards.ie confidence, i just bulled past everyone, worked great, but always had to stop about 5 feet before the end as there was too many in a "the end is nigh" bottleneck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

escalators move so we don't have to, take the stairs if you want.
    I was badly injured when a faulty escalator caught my coat in the side when I moved for one of you bloody annoying people, so you have more chance of sprouting wings and flying up the escalator than you have of me moving. Have some patience, why walk up a moving thing?

phasers wrote:
    escalators move so we don't have to, take the stairs if you want.
    I was badly injured when a faulty escalator caught my coat in the side when I moved for one of you bloody annoying people, so you have more chance of sprouting wings and flying up the escalator than you have of me moving. Have some patience, why walk up a moving thing?

i wouldn't use a faulty escalator, never mind walk on one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

as much as i hate people blocking movement on ANY style of escalator the real annoyance is when they stand at the entrance to one.

I nearly popped several people in dundrum the other day as i was going around. They walk to the escalator, then stop at the entrance and look around, causing a que to start.

I fkin HATE shopping for the sole reason of utter idiots that just stand in the middle of the walk ways rather than taking a step to the side and then stopping to aimlessly look around.

There should be a law that if someone is that fking annoying as to walk at a snales pace/block escalators/stop in stupid places fullstop, that you are allowed to scream something loud in their ear and when they turn you should be able to give them a velvet glove to the cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Ponster wrote:
    Really? I've only been to Orly once in 10 years in Paris but I can't imagine anyone standing on the left and not getting people upset.
    It was crowded and everyone was walking on the right side. So obviously you've no choice but to stand on the left. It's probably a subconscious thing related to which side of the road one drives on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

mukki wrote:
    i wouldn't use a faulty escalator, never mind walk on one :D
    I hardly knew it was faulty when I got on, there were tons of people on it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Its an unwritten ruleon the continent that if you are too lazy to walk on the escalator then you stand to the side to allow others to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

phasers wrote:
    escalators move so we don't have to

Oh My God, how lazy! If you had a machine that would move you around constantly would you ever walk again?!!

Seriously, just move to the side and let those of us who like to walk get by. Oh it's one of my pet hates. People are walking along at normal speed, suddenly they're on something that moves them and they forget they have legs.

and it's not about relaxing, or taking it easy. What is enjoyable about standing on a slow moving stairs in a shopping centre surrounded by people? I much rather enjoy walking to where I'm going BECAUSE I CAN!

phasers wrote:
    I hardly knew it was faulty when I got on, there were tons of people on it. :rolleyes:

that was a joke,course you didnt know it was faulty, but i was also pointing out that it was a faulty escalator, you said it yourself

bit like if somoene was in a car that crashed, does that mean that no one should ever in a car again

Advertisement