Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to white out windows?

Options
  • 20-07-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what i have to mix so i can white out the windows on a shop front, is it flour and water????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ziycon wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what i have to mix so i can white out the windows on a shop front, is it flour and water????
    For a bakery yes.:D

Seriously though what people would have done in the past was to get the old windolene cream and rub it on. Let it stay like that and then when the windows would be needed again (or is that kneaded - jesus I just love the puns) simply wipe it off and the window is cleaned at the same time. Simplicity.

Problem is I dont know if you can still get that form of windolene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Flower and water makes glue - you don't want to have to peel that off!
    At a guess it's titanium-dioxide in solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

or pop down to your local bike shop and get some large cardboard boxes .... just a few would cover a big area .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Use windowlene (if its still available) its a kind of gloopy window cleaner, if you put it on thickly it will block out the window, then when you clean it off - not quite as easy as you might think, but easier than emulsion! you have nice cleanwindows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Brasso

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

"Brasso can be spotted in the blockbuster movie An Officer and a Gentleman, where the cadets use it to polish belt buckles."

Movie nerd feist...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

use Windowlene

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Why not just get a couple of rolls of lining paper and cut to length and use masking to stick paper onto inside of shop window....

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

If you can't get windowlene, what about car polish? Put it on heavy and leave to dry? When you want to remove, just polish it off with a cloth.

The good thing about whiting out instead of cardboard is that it would still let in light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement