Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Correct breathing for jogging?

• 20-07-2007 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have been training for an event in August, which involves a fair amount of jogging. I have always been fit, but am better suited to sprinting, cycling etc... After a 3k run, my legs are perfectly fine and could keep going, but my breathing is shot and I always have to stop.

Any suggestions as to why, or how I can improve this?

C.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Breathing Cadence, is simply the inspiration and expiration of the lungs to the 'tempo' [cadence] of the right or left arm or right or left foot movement. For example; breathing in [ inspiration ] and breathing out [ expiration ] when the right foot touches the ground during jogging or running. This breathing technique effects the body functions much like the timing sequence of a automobiles ignition system.

There are different types of breathing cadences that can be used during actual physical performance. The most popular one is breathing in and out to the cadence of the individuals dominant foot side, that is, either your right or left side depending on the individual. The initial breathing cadence starts with the runner's dominant foot, in many persons this would be the right foot, strikes the ground. Simply put, each time your foot touches the ground you will either be breathing in or breathing out.

The running stride segmented

1. First point of contact is often the heel strike
    2. Your second point following the natural roll of the foot is mid-stance. This would place your foot directly below your body's centre of gravity.
    3. The third point is where the foot first leaves the surface (toe lift-off)

These three points of foot stride reference exist for both feet. However, which foot you cadence breath off of is your choice, depending on the physical needs of your body and the running surface. Up until now we have suggested that you initially learn and run using the heel plant as the point of reference to cadence breath off of. That is to say; to perform your breathing in and breathing out when the heel of the chosen foot first comes in contact with the surface [ heel strike ]. After you feel comfortable with heel strike cadence breathing you take the next breathing learning step. This step is learning to breath off of anyone of the three positions in the step.

Cadence breathing may be counted off from anyone of the above three foot positions. That is to say; breathing in and out from:

1. Heel strike
    2. Mid-stance or
    3. Toe push-off

Varying the point of air intake [ inspiration ] or exhaust [ expiration ] can be beneficial to your performance if mastered correctly, and in the same instance detrimental if not done correctly. With cadence breathing you can vary the point of air intake or exhaust depending upon the air demands placed upon the body by its physical exertion. So, by breathing at key foot positions in your running stride you can drastically change your performance. It may take time to master this however once you do, you will see significant changes in your performance.

Once you adapt and find that the breathing technique is working without your conscience effort you will know that the body has made the transition to utilising it fully with the natural movement of the muscles.

Best of luck with it anyhow and trust me it's easier then it sounds:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Jeez that sounds fierce complicated but I suppose what its saying is correct although its not something I've ever thought about. Its like saying how do I breathe when walking down the street, I've always thought its a natural thing that sub-consciously happens.

I'd say the OP's problem is more lack of fitness as opposed to breathing technique and a review of the many 5k/10k programs on the net would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The theory of breathing is all well and good and is of particular use if you suffer from stitches. What complicates matters is that - especially on longer runs - your breathing pattern will change. The post above implies an In / Out breathing pattern for every left / right stride (I think! That's certainly what others of teh type reccomend). Usually on a distance run though you'll exhale / inhale every 4 paces (eg right foot Breath In / left foot / right foot / left foot Breath Out). You end up trying to count paces, breathes and it all just gets a little silly.

I would suggets that the OPs actual problem is nothing to do with breathing at all - he is simply running too fast. Anyone who says they are fit (as he does) could run more than 1.25 miles before having to stop. If they are running too fast thier heart rate will be too high, they'll be breathing too hard, lactate acid will build and they will end up in oxygen debt to thier muscles, forcing them to stop. By slowing waaayyyy down (to the aerobic zone, 70 - 80% of Available HR) the OP will be able to run further and better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You could look into training your lungs with a PowerLung trainer. There is a cheaper version at Argos. The difference is that the cheaper model only exercises the inhaling while the other one does inhaling and exhaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cjohnson

I can run about 3k without having to stop. Am definitely not running too fast, and have discovered that if I walk every k or so, I can go for much longer. Also, my legs could go on and on. I can get on my bike at the end of the run and cycle for 10-20k without any problem.

So thanks for the breathing advice, will make an effort to apply it to myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm not quite sure how you can say this
    cjohnson wrote:
    ...Am definitely not running too fast...
    and not consider this
    cjohnson wrote:
    .... have discovered that if I walk every k or so, I can go for much longer. ....

If slowing down allows you to continue for longer then surely the conclussion is that you are going too fast? Being able to get on a bike at the end is alrgely irrelavant to your running fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Are you able to hold a conversation when you are running? If yes then the problem is your breathing, if not then you are running too fast.

Obviously I don't know you or your background but it sounds like you consider yourself to be very fit and so you may be going out and giving it socks. As a result you're working it too hard. 3k is under 2 miles and any reasonably fit adult should be able to carry on past that. As HM says the fact that a walk break (essentially leting your HR drop) allows you to carry on is a bit of a giveaway.

How long does it take you to do the 3k? Bet if you tried to run it, say, 10% slower tommorow you'd be in better shape (go on, try it, what have you got to lose!!)

Advertisement