Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Wireless Router to ADSL Modem/Router

Options
  • 20-07-2007 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am stuck with this and am hoping someone can help...sorry for the long post, just trying to put in as much info as possible!

I need to be able to send a broadcast to my subnet (i.e. to IP address 192.168.1.255) through the internet in order to send a wake on LAN signal to a computer whose IP address is not known by the router.

My ADSL Modem/Router does not support broadcasts so I bought a new router (not a modem) which supports it.

Now I have them setup in this way:

The PC (to be woken up) is wired to the New Router's LAN1 port, New Router is then wired from its LAN2 port to ADSL Modem/Router's LAN1 Port, and this modem connects to the Internet

I have DHCP and Firewall turned off in the new router and DHCP and Firewall turned on in the ADSL Modem/Router, and have no problem connecting to the internet or to either router using their IP address from my PC (I have the new router setup with static IP 192.168.1.2 and the ADSL Modem/Router set to 192.168.1.1)

I can ping my ADSL Modem/Router from the internet and even Wake up the PC when it is directly connected to the ADSL Modem/Router, but not when it is connected to the new router. The issue is that my ADSL Modem/Router does not seem to pass the Wake on LAN message to the new router even though I have set up port forwarding to the new router for the port I am using (UDP 9)

Has anyone any idea as to how to get this message to be passed on to the new Router?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...

Advertisement