Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BT 8Meg?

Options
  • 20-07-2007 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i saw this, this morning in the Irish times.
    Thought i'd share it with ya.

"BT has just upgraded its equipment in six Eircom exchanges to ADSL2+ which will provide speeds of up to 8MBit/sec, which Mr Maloney says is more than adequate to provide new TV-over-broadband services. The service is available to new BT customers connecting to the Tallaght, Dún Laoghaire, Dolphins Barn, Terenure, Merrion and North Main (Upper O'Connell St) exchanges in Dublin. Costing €42.50 per month, existing customers will be able to move to it from September."

Why is it always Tallaght that gets to trial new stuff?
    Also is 8Meg really enuf to put TV over?
    Also can you use all 8Meg for internet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

TV over 8 Meg? It depends on the compression - MPEG2 needs about 6 Meg (or between 6&11 for BBC and TV3) MPEG 4 uses less but I didn't think Sky and other premium content providers were allowing their content to be delivered over MPEG4.

This maybe just Free to Air channels.

They also need to migrate you to their new DSLAM which eircom will have to patch - the most recent price is €95 per customer so Me thinks you can subscribe as long as you sign up for another 12 months!! I left BT a long time ago and wouldn't sign up to another MONTH of their so call customer care. God for broadband it was bad enough for TV they're going to need another army of imbasiles to eventually answer the phone and act incompetant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im using magnet 8 meg + tv
    if i turn off the magnet tv stb i get aroun 11-12 mbps
    if it turn it on it drops to 9-10mbps

im on adsl2, i have no problems other than the stb and epg is a POS.
    i use a windows mce pc as a frontend so dont really have to notice it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Magnet is changing to MPEG4. 4Mbps MPEG2 is possible (or less) but quality poor. 3Mbps is decent quality for MPEG4. Rule of thumb is that MPEG4 is about 1/2 the bitrate of MPEG2 for roughly the same thing.

Sky don't care how you deliver, it's getting a deal in the 1st place is the issue. UPC can use MPEG4 tomorrow if they updated everyones cable boxes.

IPTV is poor compared with Cable, DTT or Satellite as each TV/Setbox needs its OWN 3Mbps MPEG4. I suppose for an apartment with no cable it's better than nothing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

8MB is nice and all but the vast majority of people in Ireland won't be able to get it due to line quality and distance from exchanges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT are only present in 40 exchanges anyway . All are in big cities or large towns along railway lines and cover maybe 1/3 of the population.

I take it these BT LLU products are still only sold as business BB so it will be 42.50+ vat will it not ???

ADSL2+ will also provide improvements on the margins so if you are now stuck on 2mbit in Ballinasloe or Gorey you may soon be able to get 3 off BT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

I think it said it was for home users too.. ill have to find the paper and check again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Dr_Pepper wrote:
    Why is it always Tallaght that gets to trial new stuff?

Big exchange and close to fibre.

Advertisement