Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FireFox

• 20-07-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that FireFox seems to have gotten a bit more buggy and unstable in the last few months. I have upgraded it when it has notified me (checks on startup).

If other people are experiencing this too then its more likely to be FireFox than my PC/OS.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The only thing I have noticed is that it is a memory whore.

I generally only have 2-3 tabs open, but it takes over 100Mb of RAM. Other than that, I've generally found it stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have 24 tabs open (for work reasons) and it is using 189mb.
    Haven't noticed any problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, can't say it's been buggy for me.

Any of the problems I've been having have been down to add-ons I've installed, oro application plugins (flash, adobe, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

i thought the threading in the latest version i downloaded was a bit crap... it stall when opening up a new tab and waiting for the information to start downloading...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not changed for me and both my work and home machines are running the latest versions, not a problem yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tom dunne wrote:

I generally only have 2-3 tabs open, but it takes over 100Mb of RAM. Other than that, I've generally found it stable.
    yeah it does that - it's a design feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

tom dunne wrote:

I am using firefox 2005 now with 3 tabs open only using 57mb
    windows xp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Rambo wrote:
    firefox 2005
    I was about to call a rather large WTF until I realised where the points should be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Any time I have a problem with firefox, its usually some dodgy extension that's screwing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the feedback, I think it might just be a dodgy plugin which is disappointing. Its a shame they dont have a nice unified system for giving feedback or troubleshooting for different plugins.

One that really gets my goat is FEBE, its a fantastic idea but so far its never worked for me or any of my mates. Has anyone managed to get it to work?

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

I Think FEBE is great i always use it on re install of my machine and i haven't had any problems at all so far, what issues are you experiencing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's FEBE?

/noob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stephen wrote:
    What's FEBE?

/noob
    Firefox Environment Backup Extension

@Stephen everytime I run it it will create a directory for the backup but then bomb out or the browser will freeze and crash. I gave up using it ages ago becuase I couldnt get it to work and the authors website wasnt much help. I will reinstall it tonight and let u know how I get on.

@Stephen - Ive just tried FEBE there and yet again it went tits up. It started a backup, backed up itself (as it was one of the options I had setup) and the failed. It created a directory for the backup and only wrote FEBE.xpi. The error message given is as follows:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052ffff [nsIFileSpec.rename]" nsresult:
    "0x8052ffff (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://febe/content/febe.js ::
    febeBackupProfile :: line 2210" data: no]

Error occured attempting to rename profile. Details:
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\febe.tmp\profile" to "profile"

Its FEBE v5.0 and all drives are fat-32 so it rules out permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I found I was using 50-60% CPU with only 8-10 tabs. Did a bit of a Google and completely remedied this with 2 approaches (not sure if its just one that did the trick or a combination). First I un-installed all unnecessary add-ons - bit disappointing really as I quiet liked them. Second I installed FlashBlock add-on. Now all I have is Google toolbar, ReloadEvery and FlashBlock. At the moment I have 8 tabs and 0-2% CPU.

Coincidently, I installed an update today and FireFox crashed a little while later for the first time ever. I hope it isn't getting buggy like the OP suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shadoefax

PDD wrote:
    Error occured attempting to rename profile. Details:
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\febe.tmp\profile" to "profile"

There is a problem with FEBE 5.0 in that it will not backup a profile named "profile". A fix will be available in the next update. In the meantime, you can still backup all your extensions, themes, etc. with a selective backup. You could also rename your profile to something different.

Chuck

Advertisement