Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nespresso machines and coffee

• 20-07-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any opinion on this type of machine. The missus is insisting on getting one!!

Does anyone own one or have an recommendation as to which on to get / avoid ? what is the quality of the coffee like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Pro's: Clean, easy, consistent, reasonable quality.

Con's: Have to use nespresso coffee only, dearer than other coffee, cannot fully achieve the quality of a dedicated espresso machine and grinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Hi,
    I just bought a nespresso machine and placed my first order.
    I had done my research and found most information favourable to the machine/concept. The argument being that € 0.33 per capsule is worth it for convenience.
    However, there was a surprise when I went to place my order. There is a hefty postage charge so that 100 capsules work out at €43.75 rather than €0.33-0.35 as quoted everywhere - i.e. advertising, this forum etc. Its misleading to say the least. That's an actual price almost 25% higher than advertised. Given that the only other way of buying capsules seems to be Brown Thomas Dublin or Cork, the price should be quoted inclusive of postage. There was no mention anywhere of any extras costs and it was clear that online or phone was the only way of buying. Another minor gripe I have is that you only get 12 capsules - one of each flavour - to start. I would assume most people would like to get some decent use from the machine immediately and not have to wait for 4/5 days to get decent supplies of the actual coffee. Also when there are four coffee drinkers in the house - one sample of each was not enough.
    It's looking like a very foolish buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Not sure about Dublin, But Brown Thomas in Cork now has a Nespresso counter on the top floor where you can buy the pods, but more importantly, you can try before you buy......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you order over 200 capsules the postage is halved (delivery is very quick too) - I have one and I'm pretty happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Was looking at these today, very tempted to buy one but would like to check out a few more brands first. Not so keen on only being able to use the Nepresso pods. The sample I tasted at the counter was lovely but it's nice to be able to try different brands. I live alone so should be ok with buying pods just for me and visitors. There's €50 cashback until the middle of May on the machines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

sunnyside wrote: »
    Was looking at these today, very tempted to buy one but would like to check out a few more brands first. Not so keen on only being able to use the Nepresso pods. The sample I tasted at the counter was lovely but it's nice to be able to try different brands. I live alone so should be ok with buying pods just for me and visitors. There's €50 cashback until the middle of May on the machines.

Get yourself a Gaggia - at least it'll give you the choice to use pods or not.
    (You can get pods for the Gaggia if you really want to, but why use pods
    when it's hard to tell how fresh the coffee in the pod is ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I use a 'Senseo' machine. Much cheaper! Plus you don't have to use the original coffee pods. I use a re-useable pod that I fill with my own coffee (Bewley's French Roast #5). I buy the beans and grind them when I want some. That way I always get a fresh cup of coffee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I think the environmental impact of using disposable packaging for each cup is ridiculous and unnecessary. Also, you are tied into that product and only that product.

If you are really interested in making your own coffee, buy a baby gaggia and learn through trial and error how to make the coffee that you like best. Trying out different coffees from retailers like Bewleys is very enjoyable. There is probably a bit more cleaning and maintenance to do but it is worth it.

I think that I would even opt for a simple cafetiere over one of those silly nespresso thingies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think the environmental impact of using disposable packaging for each cup is ridiculous and unnecessary.

While I agree with you, I would point out that it is meant as recyclable packaging, not disposable.

I can't talk about Ireland, but here in Switzerland its pretty easy to find places to dump your capsules (Nespresso shops, partners, recycling facilities), which then go back to Nespresso, who in turn have a pretty good recycling system in place, making use of both the aluminium and the coffee grounds.
    If you are really interested in making your own coffee, buy a baby gaggia and learn through trial and error how to make the coffee that you like best.
    People interested enough to buy a Gaggia aren't Nespresso's target market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 honourablegeorg

I use a 'Senseo' machine. Much cheaper! Plus you don't have to use the original coffee pods. I use a re-useable pod that I fill with my own coffee (Bewley's French Roast #5). I buy the beans and grind them when I want some. That way I always get a fresh cup of coffee!

I had a Senseo machine - it was laughably bad. Took it back after a day. There's zero comparison betwen that and Nespresso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Is there any other coffee machine that allows you to use different brands of coffee with the convenience/ease of cleaning of the nespresso? It's Christmas shopping time, I need help! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Have a normal expresso machine at home but nespresso in the office . It is an excellent choice for a convenient clean office coffee , which is considerably cheaper than the inhouse americano (2.50) or insomnia up the road. Would like a recycling facility for the capsules, but the range of coffee is good. Brown thomas do the full range in dublin , so no postage if you near there (also a freebie while you wait)
    Can beat a pro machine but great value and convenience compared to the local office brews

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've had a nespresso for 2 years .

It gives decent coffee and is fast. Even better is that it is consistent. Living in Cork I go to BTs for capsules so it's not an issue but I have found their online support services to be fast and reasonable.

I like coffee and I like it strong but I didn't really want the time/effort of going down the gaggia-style route but wanted something better than our trusty Braun percolator.

For me the Nespresso filled this gap. I can have shots of espresso when needed and nice lungos at weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Anyone looking at these should have a look at nexpod.com I use them with any type of coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Wolff wrote: »
    Anyone looking at these should have a look at nexpod.com I use them with any type of coffee

hey Wolff I just bought a nespresso recently and ordered some of the nexpod capsules. I've heard good and bad things on them. What do you think of them? Any tips for the best grind for espresso etc...

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mollybelle

Has anyone tried these coffee capsules in their Latissimo nespresso machine,?
    Dualit NX INTENSE Espresso Café Coffee Capsules
    they are supposed to be nespresso compatible but the base is a harder plastic
    and I wondered if this would damage my machine.
    TIA.
    Mollybelle

Advertisement