Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT price increases

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I was just on the BT website and the prices for the Broadband & Total Talk packages have increased, presumably in line with Eircons line rental increase :mad: ! New prices are:

1MB - €47.95
    2MB - €55.95
    3MB - €66.95

Have any BT customers been notified of these price increases or are they for new customers only?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I haven't heard anything from them yet anyway.

Just looking at the website and the prices of the broadband only are going up too, not just because of line rental increase. Broadband and talk at 3Mbps is up from €50 to €56 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

hmmm ahven't been notified by email maybe new bill comes in ill find out out but it comes my dad. ill probably hear what look how much ur spending on the internet now etc blah.. and have bill shoved under my nose but if i see 66 euro ill tell ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

3Mb broadband at 56 euro is pricey alright.

I didn't get any notice, so maybe it's not for existing customers ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

presumably in line with Eircons line rental increase

Taking the 3meg line thats a 12% increase, I'm looking at moving to Digiweb now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

FFS :( Its 3mb BB + Line Rental + Unlimited calls to landlines in Ireland and the UK 24/7

Its only gone up by the eircom line rental increase.

eircom will charge you €61 a month for their 2mbit version of that package with no UK calls and do not offer a 3mbit bundle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Its only gone up by the eircom line rental increase.

Eircom line rental was €24.18, increased by €1.18 to €25.36 = 4.9% increase

BT BB3mb + line rental package was €50, increased by €5.95 to €55.95 = 11.9% increase

Taking percentages out of the equation, the above BT package has increased OVER the Eircom line rental increase by €4.77/month or €57.24 a year

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's still ok value but the price increase has me a bit annoyed.

When Eircom reduced their wholesale rates earlier in the year (or late 2006, I can't remember) the other operators followed and reduced their retail prices, except BT.

The assumption at the time was BT would then absorb the expected line rental increase instead of passing on the wholesale price reduction. The wholesale reduction and the line rental increase would basically cancel each other out and the overall price would stay the same.

Obviously this hasn't happened. Instead it's a win win for BT. They benefit from cheaper wholesale prices and a price increase of 7% over and above the line rental increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

BT used to be clearly cheapest, now this is not true.

... .. BT .... UTV (after rental inc)
    1Mb €47.95 €48.34
    2MB €55.95 €53.34
    3MB €66.95 €65.34

some people may have issues with caps, but this will not be problem for most people.

ahh , so BT did a bit of rounding up so.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ahh , so BT did a bit of rounding up so.
    And then some.

• Advertisement

I thought eircom line rental goes up more than €1.28 a month including vat slave1 ??

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I thought eircom line rental goes up more than €1.28 a month including vat slave1 ??
    Nope. He's correct sponge.
    The figure bandied about long before the announcement was 28.xx alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

BT still have the best offer if you cannot get Digiweb or similar. Especially if you need to call the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

just looked at the website and all those prices are including paper billing, BT never used to advertise the price that included paper bills (which were actually €2.50 per mth) the totaltalk 1meg package was always 47.50 if you got paper bills

if like myself you dont need more paper coming through your door deduct 2.50 from those prices and go for online billing.

Its hard to have a go at a company when its the main retailer in ireland pushing up the prices towards all resellers

looking at the call rates are still cheaper, you still get calls to uk.. not to mention the fact it appears on the website that they are bringing out new products to counter-act the price increase and to compete with packages that other companys are coming up with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Big Chief wrote:
    if like myself you dont need more paper coming through your door deduct 2.50 from those prices and go for online billing.

I have the 3mb total talk package and get a paper bill. Do you know if I was to go for the online bill would my bill be reduced by €2.50?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

branners69 wrote:
    I have the 3mb total talk package and get a paper bill. Do you know if I was to go for the online bill would my bill be reduced by €2.50?

€2.50 per mth for paper bills

€5 saved every bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks for the reply Big Chief!

So Big Chief, if it was €35 without a paper bill, and now they advertise €39, so means the price has actually only gone up by €1.50.... Still an increase, but only the Eircom line rental increase, nothing extra... Assuming you're right, I'll have to look it up myself. :D

Just looked at it, you are correct, the BT Ireland web site now states clearly:

Please note that Broadband prices do not include online bill discount of €2.50 per month. If you wish to avail of this discount you will need to register for it on btireland.ie once your service has gone live.

Don't know about the other packages, but the base package has only gone up by €1.50. No need to panic so folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I had a look at the T&C's which appear to be valid for new customers from 11th July '07 and existing customers from 20th September '07 and found this:
    5.11 Bills are viewable in respect of all Services at http://www.btireland.ie. In respect of all Services other than Broadband & Total Talk Service, if the customer opts for an online bill only, then the customer will be entitled to an online bill discount. For the avoidance of doubt, in respect of all Services other than Broadband & Total Talk Service, if the customer requests a hard copy bill the customer will not be entitled to any online bill discount. In respect of Broadband & Total Talk Service, the customer will be defaulted to a hard copy bill and no online bill discount applies if the customer opts for an online bill.

So it looks like customers on the combined Broadband & Total Talk won't be eligible for an online bill discount :mad: !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

muffinhead wrote:
    So it looks like customers on the combined Broadband & Total Talk won't be eligible for an online bill discount :mad: !

I believe that they get paper bills for free and therefore already get the online only discount.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

muffinhead wrote:
    I had a look at the T&C's which appear to be valid for new customers from 11th July '07 and existing customers from 20th September '07 and found this:

You have been extremely fast, on several occasions now, to just down the throat of this company.

What's your beef?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

CuLT wrote:
    You have been extremely fast, on several occasions now, to just down the throat of this company.

What's your beef?

Someone on boards having a beef with BT? How shocking!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

CuLT wrote:
    What's your beef?

Rib eye steak
    bk wrote:
    I believe that they get paper bills for free and therefore already get the online only discount.

Okay thanks - I didn't realise the discount was included in the price. I was hoping there would be some way of reducing the monthly cost considering the price increase.

my beef is that its possible to select online billing WHILE ordering but that BT ignore this. You then have to log in after confirmation of your order and tick the same box again for online billing . This seems to work now.

Finally you have to ring the feckers just in case to make sure they accepted it and before their first bill ( which is incomprehensible) is generated.

I was hoping there would be some way of reducing the monthly cost considering the price increase.

change to someone else e.g. UTV, these may have introductory offers.

ardmacha wrote:
    change to someone else e.g. UTV

Um, don't get me wrong, but isn't UTV more expensive than BT Ireland? So why would I want to pay even more if I wanted to save money? :rolleyes:

Um, don't get me wrong, but isn't UTV more expensive than BT Ireland? So why would I want to pay even more if I wanted to save money?

You may not want to change, but as I add it up (which may be wrong), UTV are cheaper for 2Mb and 3Mb with all free calls, so people with those packages might be interested, if it is the case that they cannot get a €2.50 discount for online billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Don't know about the other packages, but the base package has only gone up by €1.50. No need to panic so folks! :)
    In the Telecoms industry prices for services usually decrease over time not increase as seems to be the case in this country.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement