Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question after repeating....

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Ok so my sister has repeated her LC and is waiting on getting her results for a second time around. Last year she missed medicine by 5 points, but got offered dentistry which she didn't take. After repeating she doesn't think she did as well this time around so she figures she'll get offered dentistry as long as the points don't change.
    But I'm convinced that she can't use her points from last year if they are better than the points she gets this time around. I thought from my LC days that if she wants to use her last years points that she'll have to wait another year and reapply to the CAO using her points from 05/06, and that this time around she can only use her points from 06/07 even if they turn out to be worse than her first time.

Anybody know what the story is here? Will she have to wait to apply again to use last years points, or do the CAO take the best of both years this time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

hey
    i think they will simply take the highest points that she got regardless of the year but i am not definite. it would be very unfair if they didnt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Yeah she agrees with you, but I've spoken to a lot of people who think other wise and agree with me, that she'll have to wait a year. I really don't know about it though.
    I was thinking it'd be unfair on others if they did take her best year, if it was last year over this years points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Unless they've changed things it'll be the points from this year that count, it's all computerised. Not fair under the circumstances you said but here's hoping it's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Why don't you just ring/e-mail the CAO and ask them? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Why don't you just ring/e-mail the CAO and ask them? ...
    I agree!

My reading of the CAO handbook is that they automatically take the better of the two years (no mix and match, obviously), but the horse's mouth would be a much better source.

• Advertisement

Ring them. I hope it's changed cos used to be the year just gone by. Find out from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

my guidance counsellor last year (im goign into 2nd year college now) said that you used your highest points, same as sme ppl saw for doing commerce n french or soemthing, get the points but dont meet the french required grade, they can repeat just french, get the grade, n use the points from the previous year!
    as the requirement says you need mabey a b+ in french, dosent matter what year u got it, and u need 480 points(think its round this-watever the req pints are of the year ur applying)) in a single sitting of Leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Should she not have accepted and deferred her offer last year. Thats what I did back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

I know for definite that the highest point score is taken for CAO places, ie; whichever yr is better is used. So if she does better this year, this years points are used, if not last years are automatically used by the CAO.

There you go so! Worry not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Yes they take the highest points. Also when you think about it if people failed a subject, say maths and they only have to repeat that technically their results from last year are counted too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

giddyup wrote:
    Should she not have accepted and deferred her offer last year. Thats what I did back in the day.

She shouldn't take dentistry if she doesn't want it. Also, most colleges will not allow you to defer a place in the health faculty unless you have a very serious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

giddyup wrote:

Well now if you put anything in your application apart from the course you deferred the year before it invalidates the deferral. You can still get it, but if the points go up and you don't have enough that's it...

As for the original question, provided she filled in the CAO form correctly (you put your examination nuumber or CAO number from previous sittings somewhere on it) you use your best points achieved in a single sitting of the LC.

Advertisement