Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X2 3800 temps after upgrading

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I recently upgraded my Opty 146 skt 939 to a X2 Athlon 3800.

Before changing cpu's I had the opty at around 2.4Ghz on an Artic 64 freezer with temps around 45c on full load. Had no case fans bar chipset and the psu as the temps were good.

Now I have the X2 Athlon 3800 stock with AS5 on the Artic 64 freezer and with 1 80mm exhaust fan at present. Temps for cores are 46c and 51c idle as reported by latest version of core temp and ITE guardian reports cpu at 51c idle! I have reseated the cpu and no better. What would you do next or have I bad cpu? Got it with the intention of overclocking it but I can't even get it cool at stock. The bios reports cpu at 38c? Which is right? I've a cheiftech case so airflow is ok and space for another fan at the front and another exhast at the back. Also might remove the TIM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what is the ambient temp in your case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'll have to check that when I get home. Chipset was around 50c. Bios was reset before I installed the CPU.

Also the AS5 I used was from a tube I've had for about 2 years. Does it degrade over time?

shouldn't do. How did you apply the AS5

Removed existing old paste from heatsink with lint free cloth. Wiped clean with isopropyl and wiped again with lint free cloth. Applied AS5 to cpu and spread thin with a plastic card. Then reseated HS. Put no AS5 on heatsink.

hmm... ok try the AS5 recommended approach. Just apply the TIM in a line down the middle of the CPU then attach the heatsink, twisting slightly a few times to spread it out.

Also, if you have it, i'd try installing the stock heatsink and see if there's a difference. Also see what the CPUs temps are with the side panel off.

I'd say the lack of airflow in your system is the problem, because opterons run at lower volts than the X2 they will usually run cooler. Plus you now have a dual core which will run hotter again. You need to get a good positive air pressure in your system with some good, high cfm fans. What case do you have.

• Advertisement

ok try the AS5 recommended approach. Just apply the TIM in a line down the middle of the CPU then attach the heatsink, twisting slightly a few times to spread it out.

Ahh ok I'll try that. Thought I'd get a more even spread by doing it myself.
    Also, if you have it, i'd try installing the stock heatsink and see if there's a difference. Also see what the CPUs temps are with the side panel off.

I should be able to get another HS over the weekend to try.
    I'd say the lack of airflow in your system is the problem, because opterons run at lower volts than the X2 they will usually run cooler. Plus you now have a dual core which will run hotter again. You need to get a good positive air pressure in your system with some good, high cfm fans. What case do you have.

Ok which is most important or are they equally important. Pushing air in or exhasting it out. I also thought the X2 ran at the same voltage as the opteron no?

Thanks btw for the replies

ps Case is a Cheiftec Dragon. Good big case that's got a good build quality. Plenty of room for air flow.

Ok I did a bit of messing around tonight.
    Temps before work done:
    Bios: 37c

Smart Guardian IDLE:
    System: 35c
    Chipset: 43c
    CPU: 47c

Forgot to take full load temps!

Put in 80mm front fan
    Put in 80mm exhaust fan
    Put in 120mm exhaust fan
    Cleaned HS and CPU and reapplied AS5 as suggested on Artics site. I now have a noisy hairdryer. :(

Now temps are as follows
    Smart Guardian IDLE:
    System: 32c
    Chipset: 41c
    CPU: 44c

Smart Guardian Full load:
    System: 39c
    Chipset: 49c
    CPU: 47c

A bit better but not hectic. I know it takes a few days for it to settle down I supose?

Advertisement