Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Sligo with 20 month old

Options
  • 20-07-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

This is my first post on boards, so please be nice.
    I'm moving to Sligo in a couple of months with a 20 month old and another on the way. The missus is intersted in all things baby related in the area. Ideally, we'd like to live near a park or some "swings" where they can play outside- is there anywhere like that within walking distance of the town? Also any info about play groups, or just somewhere to have a chat and a coffee with other sleep deprived parents would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

We're always nice!

Ok. There is a great park called Mitchell Curly park near Kevinsfort (west side of the town). House prices in kevinfort would be pretty high. There is an estate nearby (Oakfield) where the house prices are a little more reasonable.
    (I am not going to presume your budget).

There are other parks in town but this would be considered the best.
    I would be most familiar with this area.

There is another park being built halfway between Cartron and the town centre. There are 3/4 housing estates in the area (again varying in house prices) which would be between 5 & 15 minutes walk.

Don't know about playgroups i'm afraid.

To be honest if you tell the estate agents your prefrences they should be able to help!

Sligo has been behind in terms of green areas like this but we're finally catching up.

If you wanted to PM me once you knew whereabouts you might be moving I could give you a better idea of whats local to you but the estate agents should be able to help.

Good luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Both my parents and my brother and his family live in oakfield and it is a great estate. There is the park as Gillie has said but also an Irish school (I can't remember the name of it) situated across the road from the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hiya Oaff, there is alot of facilities for young children here in Sligo. Toddler groups, creches, etc and a couple of parks. (Is Forthill Playground still open anyone?) I'm a newbie to Sligo too (well 6 years!) and also came with a small child but have always found plenty to entertain her with. As Gillie said, PM me if you need any other info. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

That park near Cartron is beside a busy road. Mitchell Curly park is much bigger, has a playground, I think, and is much more open. That side of town also makes it convenient for Strandhill and the beaches. If possible, I'd definitely look at Oakfield, Kevinsfort, The Park, Farmhill or anything in the Strandhill Road/ Maugheraboy areas.

il gatto wrote:
    That park near Cartron is beside a busy road. Mitchell Curly park is much bigger, has a playground, I think, and is much more open. That side of town also makes it convenient for Strandhill and the beaches. If possible, I'd definitely look at Oakfield, Kevinsfort, The Park, Farmhill or anything in the Strandhill Road/ Maugheraboy areas.

The Western Distibutor route is going to run right by mitchell curley park.
    The road is going to run between Kevinsfort and the park I shít you not!

You'd wonder what goes on in these ppls heads!

The park beside cartron is going to be a massive improvement from the pool that was there in fairness. Hopefully they'll make it somewhat safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I thought that Western Distributor Road was shot down as the idiotic idea that it was when the eastern bypass (that'll no doubt take many yeras to build) was brought back as a feasible plan. What do these people smoke/take/drink (delete as appropriate) before they meet to discuss planning?:confused:

il gatto wrote:
    I thought that Western Distributor Road was shot down as the idiotic idea that it was when the eastern bypass (that'll no doubt take many yeras to build) was brought back as a feasible plan. What do these people smoke/take/drink (delete as appropriate) before they meet to discuss planning?:confused:

Hell no it's going to be built by 09!

If it was a good plan we may not see it till 2020!;)

The Eastern bypass is also due to start soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the oaff

Thanks very much for all the information. I do like the look of Kevinsfort, but as you say it is quite expensive. We are not due to turn up until Nov, so it is still a bit early to be looking for somewhere to rent, but it certainly helps us in knowing where to look. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

the oaff wrote:
    Thanks very much for all the information. I do like the look of Kevinsfort, but as you say it is quite expensive. We are not due to turn up until Nov, so it is still a bit early to be looking for somewhere to rent, but it certainly helps us in knowing where to look. Thanks again

I'm from the westside of the town also and know all the areas being discussed very well.

What would people think of Doorley Park? Too close to the big tree?

I would advise renting for a while (say 6 -9 months) before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Are you hoping to move to the town or the county?
    Various playgrounds around the county: Ballymote, Coolaney to name a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

The Sligo County Childcare Committee along with the leitrim County Childcare Committee published a Childcare directory for the area. (Their brief is to co-ordinate the services in these areas.) The directory lists all the toddlers groups, creches, Montessorris etc and even some childminders in the area. It does'nt seem to be up on the web, but if you ring the Sligo county Childcare Committee they should be able to send you one out. (if still in print, its Dec 2005 edit)
    Number for the Sligo County Childcare Committee is 071 91 48860.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

magnumlady wrote:
    Are you hoping to move to the town or the county?
    Various playgrounds around the county: Ballymote, Coolaney to name a couple.

If I was to move home, I would probably choose Ballisadare or Collooney

Advertisement