Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro in Drumcondra

Options
  • 20-07-2007 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭

Any opinions on this?

I cannot get cable or DSL, so I have to go wireless.

I also must get rid of clearwire asap for the sake of my sanity.

Not too bothered about torrents as I've survived this long without them.

Mainly concerned about general download speeds and ping times.

Thanks in advance,
    ChopperByrne.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sorry to bump this but got no replies when it was posted. Any opinions on digiweb metro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I see from their website that the price of it has increased by 5 euros.

Any opinions on this product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Cannot comment on Drumcondra.

I have digiweb metro in South Dublin. Broadband about as reliable as DSL imo. Some problems with the phone service which I'm not too bothered about as I use VoIP.

Don't play games online but pings seem comparable to DSL, maybe a bit lower.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum where people post their download speeds and ping times.

SkepticOne wrote:
    Cannot comment on Drumcondra.

I have digiweb metro in South Dublin. Broadband about as reliable as DSL imo. Some problems with the phone service which I'm not too bothered about as I use VoIP.

Don't play games online but pings seem comparable to DSL, maybe a bit lower.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum where people post their download speeds and ping times.

Thank you. That is all I need to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I see from their website that the price of it has increased by 5 euros.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There has indeed been an increase in the price of the basic service.

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp

Also there's a 2 mbit option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I use Metro in Phibsboro. They had some awful periods there for about 6-9 months, but it looks like their service is about average now.

Expect your pings to fluctuate slightly during the main peak times, but overall it has now become a fairly stable and reliable connection. They used to have a hell of alot of problems in Dublin due to over-subscription on some of their masts (specifically, 3 Rock) but I think the bugs have been ironed out now.

I'd recommend it at the moment, but overall I'm vehemently against wireless broadband if you can get anything else - mainly due to the shoddiness I've had to go through with Metro. The tech support are fantastic, and the last time I had to talk to them they had actual techies on the phone, not just script-monkeys - that's a massive plus in my book, and many other books too I think you'll find.

In short: Currently "Yes, yes, yes"
    But there have been quite a few periods of "Get me out of here" over the past 12 months. If their over-subscription has been eased and their antennae upgraded then there shouldn't be any more problems. Mind you, if you could get DSL you'd still be at the mercy of Mega Corp Conglomorate anyway, so choose your evil wisely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I tried to get this product in Drumcondra and the installer put the aeriel on my roof but it failed a reception test.

Probably due to the fact that Croke Park is across the road.

You never said where you are in Drumcondra but if you're beside the stadium then it's not looking good

• Advertisement

I'm a good bit away from the stadium so I reckon I'll be okay.

Okay another question.

I'm currently in rented accommodation in a quite old house in Drumcondra. What's involved in putting the antenna on the roof/side wall?

Will it cause much damage to said roof/wall?

I'll have to get permission from my landlord to get an antenna put up and I want to know what I'm getting him to agree to.

Thanks in advance,
    Chopper

Advertisement