Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit Run & Toilet

Options
  • 20-07-2007 1:24pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Im wondering what to do. We recently built a run for the rabbit, and to save ourselves the grief of picking up his "poop" from the one corner he does it in - I got the chap a toilet. I put saw dust in and everything - but he just knocks it over and ignores it. He did a small bit in it yesterday, but most on the ground.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

well maby if he had some toilet paper and a news paper!! i didnt think you could buy toilets for rabits! you learn somthing new every day

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill see what I can do.. ;)

Ya, its just a plastic awl tub they sit in. Its a pain to pick up 100s of little balls of poo spread out over the grass. Plus, the run is full of blue bottles as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You need to weigh down the litter tray, those small cat litter trays are better, line it with newspaper and nothing else (sawdust isn't the best bedding for bunnys you are better off with just newspaper layers and then hay also not as messy sawdust goes everywhere).

I used to use a small brick to weigh down the litter tray.

What you can do is take everything out of the run including bunny, scurb it all down with white vinegar. Once dried put in a layer of newspaper and hay and place the litter tray in the corner, weigh it down and add some soiled litter to it.
    Your rabbit should start using it, however once the rabbit is litter trained he/she will only wee in it and the odd poop. Rabbits can't help pooing everywhere it's normal. However if the rabbit is spayed/neutered it can sometimes cut down on the amount of poop they put everywhere. But just remember the rabbit cannot help pooping everywhere it's said to be a hormonal thing too hence why spaying and neutering can sometimes help with that.

You must clean out the area daily esp. the litter box once trained if there are flies around be extra careful as rabbits are very prone to flystrike. Check the bunnies rear end daily there is stuff called rearguard you can get over the internet to help prevent it.
    Rabbits require a lot of cleaning they are a high maintinence pet despite what many pet shops will tell you. Although they do make lovely pets and aren't as mucky as guineapigs.

Advertisement