Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best Electronic Caller... In your opinion.

• 20-07-2007 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to invest in an electronic caller mainly for fox, crow (incl greycrow) & magpie. Can anyone recommend one from experience/owning one etc & the best place to buy one. I have €300 to play with & I'm looking for one that you attach a speaker to... Cheers in advance...

TJ911...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

If money is not an issue has to be the Lockvogel Electronic Caller,

Interchangable memory chip, basic comes with teal, Mallard, wigeon, Rabbit distress, vixen call, dog fox bark, crow and magpie..

I have one foe two years best investment ever, seperate speaker can be bought but no need the basic one is loud enough..

Duffys in Galway sell them, old model shown in the picture.. class piece of kit ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

trojan im not sure what the best one is but you will find out as we have had this discussion before with other. the best one is a kind of germen name it begins with and L. i decoy a lot of crows with a friend of mine and he owns it and its great! the crow is very good but it really stands alone when you listen to the magpie and fox caller that is on it. they are brilliant. whatever you do stay away from the cass creek range. i got stung for €90 crow caller and i swear its the biggest waste of money i have ever spent! its american so the calls are way different and its sounds like a pack of ravens. im sorry i dont have the name of that caller now for you, but like i said the other lads here on the forum will know what its called i just cant think of it off hand!

terrier bet me to it i see!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Thanks for the tips lads..... Duffys website looks pretty impressive...

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I would recommend a caller called the millenium caller i couldnt find any sites for them but you can get one in lakelands in mullingar they have the exact same calls as the lockvogal but its a lot louder(fox call would leave your ears ringing!) and just as clear the grey crow on it is excellent:D i got it for €70 great value.If you wanted a lockvogal they have one for €130 that is the best price you will find one anywhere in the country by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 happyout

The Ucaller is very good & a good price. It uses sound cards so you can change these for new sounds

Cheers lads. The more to choose from the better.

TJ911...

i bought an acme hand caller saturday. i have to say it works excellent and im not even bothered taking my electronic one out now after using it!

I got a loan of an electronic caller called a "Bird Sing" yesterday so took it out for a trial run in the evening... It has Crow, Magpie, Fox bark, Mink, Widgeon & Distressed Rabbit.

Well, I can say it worked for the magpies and crows, brought them in no bother. So I headed out last night with the lamp & caller and tried the fox bark, and yes, they started popping up in the ditches & fields also, mind you out of the five foxes it attracted, four of them were cubs.

So, I am impressed with this one.... I must find out the price.....

TJ911...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Trojan911 wrote:
    I got a loan of an electronic caller called a "Bird Sing" yesterday so took it out for a trial run in the evening... It has Crow, Magpie, Fox bark, Mink, Widgeon & Distressed Rabbit.
    TJ911...

Mink ? Be interested to hear that one..? :confused:
    Only ever heard them shrek when you trap them ..

Terrier wrote:
    Mink ? Be interested to hear that one..? :confused:
    Only ever heard them shrek when you trap them ..

It is a strange noise alright. Never heard it before.... If I can record it onto the pc then I will try & post it here.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NicOda

AFAIK it is actually illegal to use a caller which uses a recorded sound to attract any animal in this country. Think your best bet is practice on the back of your hand, a caller which you have to blow into or the old styrofoam on a windscreen trick.
    Anyway there are no shortcuts into calling up foxes or rabbits, its about putting in some time and effort, not taking the easy route of an electronic caller.
    Would your €300 not be better spent on a few Larsen trap or some fenn traps and snares if you are interested in controling vermin??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Out of interest "Lockvogel" means "Call bird"... purely random but there you have it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

NicOda wrote:
    Think your best bet is practice on the back of your hand, a caller which you have to blow into or the old styrofoam on a windscreen trick.

If a person can master it, then it's a good skill to have, not everyone can do it.
    NicOda wrote:
    Anyway there are no shortcuts into calling up foxes or rabbits, its about putting in some time and effort, not taking the easy route of an electronic caller.

Nonsense.

NicOda wrote:
    AFAIK it is actually illegal to use a caller which uses a recorded sound to attract any animal in this country.

I would be interested in seeing this law. Can you provide or direct me to view this?
    NicOda wrote:
    Think your best bet is practice on the back of your hand, a caller which you have to blow into or the old styrofoam on a windscreen trick.

The aeroboard worked well for me, however I am always looking for alternatives and with a caller there are more choices for more game/vermin.
    NicOda wrote:
    Would your €300 not be better spent on a few Larsen trap or some fenn traps and snares if you are interested in controling vermin??????

To be honest I am not a lover of traps. I prefer the humane option of a quick kill. Traps prolong suffering in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, do you shoot or hunt? You appear fluent in traps/calling etc...

TJ911...

Trojan911 wrote:

To be honest I am not a lover of traps. I prefer the humane option of a quick kill. Traps prolong suffering in my opinion.

TJ911...

larcen traps are an excellent way in dealing with magpie numbers, plus i do think they are humane providing you keep your songbird well fed and well watered and check the trap daily for the magpies you catch. a quick blow to their head is as humane as shooting them, in fact more humane as you are guaranteed you know the animal is dead.

stevoman wrote:
    providing you keep your songbird well fed and well watered and check the trap daily for the magpies you catch.

That's where the problem would begin. I couldn't be able to check the trap everyday because of work commitments.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

NicOda wrote:
    AFAIK it is actually illegal to use a caller which uses a recorded sound to attract any animal in this country. Think your best bet is practice on the back of your hand, a caller which you have to blow into or the old styrofoam on a windscreen trick.
    obviously you dont know much about lamping or calling in foxes:rolleyes: electronic caller is the best bit of all the stuff i have apart from rifle and lamp!

Trojan911 wrote:
    That's where the problem would begin. I couldn't be able to check the trap everyday because of work commitments.

TJ911...

thats fair enough trojan. if you have work commitments then theres no pint having a trap as it is cruel to not maintain your songbird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement