Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who don't believe?

Options
  • 20-07-2007 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

The heading on this forum annoys me somewhat, I believe in a lot of things, just because I believe deities are fairy tales doesn't mean I have no beliefs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

DerKaiser wrote:
    The heading on this forum annoys me somewhat, I believe in a lot of things, just because I believe deities are fairy tales doesn't mean I have no beliefs

I think it is in relation to the "Religion" Sub-heading that this forum falls under

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think there might be a point there. 'For those who don't believe' almost sounds like they should and there is something wrong with them for not believing.
    Or maybe I'm looking into it far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

"We are nihilists, Lebowski, we believe in nothing. Nothing!"

Yeah, it sounds wrong. I think people came up with lots amusing suggestions for replacements in another thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Crucifix wrote:
    Yeah, it sounds wrong. I think people came up with lots amusing suggestions for replacements in another thread.
    Yeah it was all talked about before here, before the thread ran completely off topic as usual.
    Honestly, I don't know who moderates this place but the lack of discipline is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Yeah it was all talked about before here, before the thread ran completely off topic as usual.
    Honestly, I don't know who moderates this place but the lack of discipline is shocking.
    Don't remind me. Started with finding a name tag. Ran for nine pages. Covered a New tag, Zeus, The Devil, Angles. Abraham, to my personal all time, "pull up a chair and grab the pop-corn" popcorn.giffavorite "Free will". And the Tag line!!!

I'll grab the coats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Galvasean wrote:
    'For those who don't believe' almost sounds like they should and there is something wrong with them for not believing.

No it doesn't. This is a stupid thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DerKaiser wrote:

Then perhaps you are looking in the wrong forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Science damn it! I came up with a great alternate blurb a week or so ago and thought to myself "ah that thread is long dead, I won't bother writing it down or anything" and now I can't remember it! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I looked around but can't see this heading anywhere ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

o there it is, seems ok to me

edit nah thats just the name of this thread, I've no idea what this thread is referencing

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Wicknight wrote:
    I think it is in relation to the "Religion" Sub-heading that this forum falls under

I've always thought it slightly ironic that the Atheism forum is a subforum in Religion and Spirituality... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭lookinforpicnic

I've always thought it slightly ironic that the Atheism forum is a subforum in Religion and Spirituality... :p

Seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hey at least we're at the top of the list. What better place to look down on them from ;):D

It would be ironic save for the fact that virtually all threads here are directly concerned with religion/spirituality.

What is interesting, is that it's the busiest sub-forum in the category. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

MooseJam wrote:
    I looked around but can't see this heading anywhere ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=526

it should be for those that don't believe in XYZ

It would be ironic save for the fact that virtually all threads here are directly concerned with religion/spirituality.

What is interesting, is that it's the busiest sub-forum in the category. :)

Yep, I've always thought it interesting that people who call themeselves atheists (as opposed to just non religious people) seem to be more interested in religion and to know more about it (or at least the one you've rejected :p ) than a lot of so called believers...

I'm not so interested in why religious people might not be so inetrested in endlessly analysing their religion as I can guess some of the answers already... why are people who call themselves atheists so interested in talking about religion though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yep,I've always thought it interesting that people who call themeselves atheists (as opposed to just non religious people) seem to be more interested in religion and to know more about it (or at least the one you've rejected :p ) than a lot of so called believers....
    What would we be talking about? :confused:

Ciaran500 wrote:
    What would we be talking about? :confused:

What do you mean exactly... and who are 'we'? I ask because I've noticed that some of the Christians tend to drop in to say hello sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

how about change it to 'For those who don't believe in religion'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Galvasean wrote:

Well, because religion definitely exists...?

over-literally,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

along with this what i don't get is why atheists and agnostics are lumped together even though they're completely different things. it's the same as having a forum Atheists/Catholics or Catholics/Muslims

well maybe not the second one

bleg wrote:
    along with this what i don't get is why atheists and agnostics are lumped together even though they're completely different things. it's the same as having a forum Atheists/Catholics or Catholics/Muslims

well maybe not the second one

Pretty similar, though, to lumping Catholics & Protestants, Shiite & Sunni, as is likewise done here. Agnostics and Atheists have no history of slaughtering each other...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Scofflaw wrote:
    Pretty similar, though, to lumping Catholics & Protestants, Shiite & Sunni, as is likewise done here. Agnostics and Atheists have no history of slaughtering each other...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

well not really, catholics and protestants both have similar idealogies same with shiites and sunnis. however atheists and agnostics have different and opposing idealogies, just as opposing as atheists and theists. a better system would be to have 3 different forums labelled theists, atheists and agnostics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Galvasean wrote:

Or why not "For those who don't believe in god" ?

Simple and to the point.
    bleg wrote:
    along with this what i don't get is why atheists and agnostics are lumped together even though they're completely different things.

Dawkins proposes two types of agnosticism. The first, to which he (and I, as it goes) thinks most atheists would subscribe, is what he calls temporary agnosticism in practice; the kind of agnosticism that acknowledges when there is insufficient evidence for a hypothesis to 'prove' it beyond reasonable doubt. This kind of agnostic might well believe firmly that there is no 'god' but recognizes there is always the possibility of new evidence coming to light to demonstrate that one in fact exists after all.

The second type he calls permanent agnosticism in principle - it applies to those agnostics who claim that there is not and can never be enough evidence to answer satisfactorily the question of god either way. In other words, a total cop out.

I reckon tap agnostics probably feel right at home in the current a&a forum, but pap agnostics might well feel happier if they had their own place in which to sit on the fence :p

bleg wrote:
    well not really, catholics and protestants both have similar idealogies same with shiites and sunnis.

Catholics and Protestants have similar ideologies....hmmm. I really don't think so - they're practically different religions borrowing from the same historical tradition.
    bleg wrote:
    however atheists and agnostics have different and opposing idealogies, just as opposing as atheists and theists.

"Theists, atheists, and agnostics"? What about alatrists? What about Buddhists? Taoists? Shinto?
    bleg wrote:
    a better system would be to have 3 different forums labelled theists, atheists and agnostics.

Curiously, whatever we might think of them, the different sects and creeds of believer see each other as more different than they consider atheists and agnostics to be - and they are the majority, not us.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

bleg wrote:
    along with this what i don't get is why atheists and agnostics are lumped together even though they're completely different things.
    What atheists and agnostics have in common is a non-acceptance of any of the world religions or deities. Maybe you could show me some threads, other than the ones that have "atheism" in the title, that are not as relevant to both?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As a form of agnostic I feel a little repressed (I'm not sure about that) by all these atheist orientated threads. :(

Why so, Tar? Tell all :)

I think people use the term "atheists" around here more because it's quicker than typing "atheists/agnostics"...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites.
    Yet, here, in the Utopia of this land, people do no thave the time to denote atheists/agnostics and I am thus disheartened for us all.

Advertisement