Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified Motors Ad

Options
  • 20-07-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭

Listen I'm not complaining or anything, and I'll probably be ignored and probably lambasted by all to come but I just feel that there is something wrong with the Modified Motors ad that appears from time to time up in the top right corner on Boards.

Boy Racers (or "Modified Car Owners" as they like to be called now) are basically a scourge in our society... First off we have to put up with Johnny & Mick driving really dodgy old 1990 Starlets & Civics with bits of a body kit taped to their car, which is just real cool...
    Also the way they hang around the place, I see them from time to time in various garage forecourts, crappy dance music blaring from their speakers, pissing off the public...

Finally (and most importantly) is the way they drive... I don't care when people come out and say that the "Modified Car Owners" are the safest on the road because they spend so much on their cars, thats Bull****... As a cyclist, I constantly have to dodge stupid idiots in their souped up cars speeding around the place, very dangerous...

The point of what i'm saying is that I've always viewed Boards.ie as a sensible place, and now i see an ad for a magazine dedicated to Boy racers... I don't expect to be listened to but that's just how i feel...

(apologies if i piss anybody off as well)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ads = revenue for boards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dulpit wrote:
    Listen I'm not complaining or anything, and I'll probably be ignored and probably lambasted by all to come but I just feel that there is something wrong with the Modified Motors ad that appears from time to time up in the top right corner on Boards.

Boy Racers (or "Modified Car Owners" as they like to be called now) are basically a scourge in our society... First off we have to put up with Johnny & Mick driving really dodgy old 1990 Starlets & Civics with bits of a body kit taped to their car, which is just real cool...
    Also the way they hang around the place, I see them from time to time in various garage forecourts, crappy dance music blaring from their speakers, pissing off the public...

Finally (and most importantly) is the way they drive... I don't care when people come out and say that the "Modified Car Owners" are the safest on the road because they spend so much on their cars, thats Bull****... As a cyclist, I constantly have to dodge stupid idiots in their souped up cars speeding around the place, very dangerous...

The point of what i'm saying is that I've always viewed Boards.ie as a sensible place, and now i see an ad for a magazine dedicated to Boy racers... I don't expect to be listened to but that's just how i feel...

(apologies if i piss anybody off as well)
    Should ads for football magazines be banned as well because football hooligans are a scourge?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Should ads for football magazines be banned as well because football hooligans are a scourge?

My point was that the vast majority of people who are into the whole souped up cars thing would be the type to tear up and down the road at high speeds (well around where i am at least)

The vast majority of football fans are football fans... And the magazines are not dedicated on how to increase engine power or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I have a dislike towards any muppets who would do the things you describe, and I've given out loads about them in the past!!!

But in fairness, that magazine is aimed at car enthusiasts and I'm sure it doesn't encourage any of the acts of stupidity you've described...

Your post reflects a bit of a stereotypical view on anyone in a modified car...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rice Rockets bad.
    Money for boards good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have a dislike towards any muppets who would do the things you describe, and I've given out loads about them in the past!!!

But in fairness, that magazine is aimed at car enthusiasts and I'm sure it doesn't encourage any of the acts of stupidity you've described...

Your post reflects a bit of a stereotypical view on anyone in a modified car...

Well i suppose i'm basing my view on the few people who i know are boy racers... They're idiots 1 and all...

I'm not denying that there are probably modified car owners who are among the best & safest drivers in the world, but just basing it on my experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dulpit wrote:
    Well i suppose i'm basing my view on the few people who i know are boy racers... They're idiots 1 and all...

I'm not denying that there are probably modified car owners who are among the best & safest drivers in the world, but just basing it on my experience...

I think there's a big difference between mod enthusiasts and boy racers. There may be an overlap in a good few cases, but you'll probably find as many scrotes acting the ass in a standard car.

How do you define "modified" anyway?

Would putting new alloys on count? Maybe lowering the springs? Changing the interior trim? Changing the lights? Changing the side mirrors?

I've done all that to mine as have many other owners of the same marque, and I can assure you, I'm no boy racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

dulpit wrote:
    My point was that the vast majority of people who are into the whole souped up cars thing would be the type to tear up and down the road at high speeds (well around where i am at least)
    And you are basing this on a sample of how many souped up car drivers?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I hate boy racers as much as the next guy. Though the ones in my town me and my friend's have had years-long scuffles with the pricks. Anywho, funny thing about those guys is they don't drive what is deemed as a perfomance car.

"Oh, I'll buy a 2nd / 3rd hand Mitsubishi Evo / Golf, put some terribly cheap material on the body and chasis, drill a hole in the exhaust, drive the shíte out of the already banjaxed engine and then drive around as if it was designed for pro racing!"

Puh-lease!! A true vehicle entusiast tries to reach a pinnacle / surpass the limit of a chosen car's potential in terms of mechanical engineering, etc. Not to destroy the clutch, crack the radiator, break the axels, crack the alloys, destroying the threads on their tyres from pretty pathetic take-offs, or simply try & kill themselves or others by proving they can handle doing 100mph down a dangerous by-road, idiots!!

Phew!! That's my rant over! Anywho, it's an advert which, I presume, is revenue for Boards and I'm pretty sure they are people out there who have a genuine interest in car modifing. That and this is more of a thread for AH.

EDIT: How come boy racers only listen to dance or, the odd time, Bob Marley?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There's a big difference between a boy racer and a modified car owner. I know hundreds of both, you know a couple. Who do you think has a better idea of the truth?

Actually, i've had far more cyclists pull out in front of me, breaking lights etc then modified cars. Cyclists are clearly a menace to society and should be banned.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

MrPudding wrote:
    And you are basing this on a sample of how many souped up car drivers?

MrP
    By the powers invested in him by a text vote on Sky News...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

henbane wrote:
    By the powers invested in him by a text vote on Sky News...
    Fcuking excellent!

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh i just object to the adverts animation...annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Agreed.
    I hate flash and .gif ads.

Advertisement