Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best climbs in wicklow/dublin area

Options
  • 20-07-2007 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Been doing a fair bit on the bike recently and was just wondering what peoples favourite climbs are?I hear that there is a decent 8k climb out past glendalough might try and get out there on sun if the weather picks up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

From Laragh to Glenmalur and then to Slieve Maan, both climbs are scenic and long with an even gradient allowing you to get into a constant rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My recomendations would be:

-The Sally Gap (Kilbride to Roundwood)
    -The Military Road from the Yellow House are(Rathfarnam I think?) up to Gleencree and back through Stepaside.
    -Ashford to Roundwood is also a nice short introduction climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Been doing a fair bit on the bike recently and was just wondering what peoples favourite climbs are?I hear that there is a decent 8k climb out past glendalough might try and get out there on sun if the weather picks up.

Thats the Wicklow Gap, brings you back in the general direction of Blessington. When Le Tour was here that climb was a CAT 3!, just shows you what the Alpine hills are like.

If you want a couple of short lung busters, try the Devils Glen (very steep at the top) or the road behind the Glenview Hotel (Glen of the Downs), thats steep all the way. Recorded my fastest ever speed coming down the Devils Glen toward Ashford one day when I hit 90k.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

steep or long or scenic

I like the military road too,
    lots of nice steep hills in south county dublin and around Enniskerry

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Anyone got any links to where these atre on maps...please!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well bring from laragh myself there are plenty of courses I would recommend. The one membrane spoke of is a nice one. The sally gap is a challange but the road is not the best so you tend to spend a lot of time avoiding holes and bumps.

The wicklow gap is the much better road. Completely resurfaced for the 98 tour and has some good climbs. Going from glendalough you have a nice long run up turlough hill and if your coming from Blessington you've got a short but tough climb up Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Did this route yesterday, nice route but very tough(for me). Took us all day but well worth it.

http://www.routeslip.com/routes/53876

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Thats a decent route and some great scenery. The hill climb at hollywood isn't that long but it can be tough enough. There are some good hills in there. Which way about the loop did you go?

Advertisement