Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for externall HDD

Options
  • 20-07-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok, I currently have a WD 250GB firewire 400 external HDD which i'm outgrowing fast. I'm looking to get a 500GB external HDD.

Now I have 2 options for its interface, e-SATA or gigabit ethernet? I'm going to be increasing the number of PC's on my network so i'm wondering which would the best choice? The e-SATA would be faster, but to access the files on it the computer its attached to would need to be on. The gigabit ethernet would be slower but I could access it from any PC and not require 1 to be on to do so.

So what should I go for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I think you should be looking for a NAS type solution, especially if your going to be networking a few PCs together. Maybe something like this would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

WD have nice external drives for use as NAS devices. I'd say go for gigabit ethernet.

I wouldn't think eSATA would be all that much better -- sure, it has high bandwidth but it's not as if the hard drive will actually make full use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah i'm leaning toward gigabit now myself. I was talking to someone about eSATA and he mentioned that it's not hot pluggable and can't be powered down while the computer is on, which is a big turn off for me as I only like the external drive to make noise when i'm writing to it.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a good, cheap 1TB NAS drive then.

Advertisement