Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone excited about KDE 4

• 20-07-2007 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

KDE 4 is getting closer and closer. Anyone one else starting to get excited :D

I switched from being a long term GNOME user to KDE 3.5 about 6 months ago and I've never looked back. It was a bit of work, but now I'm in a totally different world (not interested in a flamewar between Gnome and KDE btw :p )

Been reading a lot about KDE 4 lately, it really looks ambitious, along with companion programs such as Amarok and Konqueror.

I'm hoping it delievers on most of this, and that the KDE developes haven't bitten off more than they can chew

Role on October!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No. I dislike both Gnome (bloat) and KDE (klutter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I'm slightly excited, got a preview livecd and it wasnt very complete, QT4 did "feel" slightly faster though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No. I dislike both Gnome (bloat) and KDE (klutter).

The CLI rules!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My (k)ubuntu is broken

it started out as ubuntu 6.1 and I installed beryl and then installed kde packages over the top and it could swap GUI's easily with a few glitches gives messages about gnome network manager anyway - upgrded to 7.04, can't remember which disk :o and since the upgrade I can't get into the GUI with either of the logins after I run the beryl manager because X keeps restarting , no matter which GUI I choose, was ok so it's in the user startup config somewhere

[lazyiness]how do you create a new user on the CLI [/lazyness]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

sudo adduser <username>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

My (k)ubuntu is broken

it started out as ubuntu 6.1 and I installed beryl and then installed kde packages over the top and it could swap GUI's easily with a few glitches gives messages about gnome network manager anyway - upgrded to 7.04, can't remember which disk :o and since the upgrade I can't get into the GUI with either of the logins after I run the beryl manager because X keeps restarting , no matter which GUI I choose, was ok so it's in the user startup config somewhere

[lazyiness]how do you create a new user on the CLI [/lazyness]
    Did you do an actual in-place upgrade or do a clean install over Ubuntu 6.10? The upgrade route is just trouble for almost every OS. All sorts of junk left behind.

Eye-candy [Beryl/Xgl] caused me nothing but trouble with openSUSE. Still causes odd behaviour on Ubuntu 7.04. Disable it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

upgrded to 7.04, can't remember which disk :o and since the upgrade I can't get into the GUI with either of the logins after I run the beryl manager because X keeps restarting , no matter which GUI I choose, was ok so it's in the user startup config somewhere
    Dear me - it sounds like you did an in place upgrade on Ubuntu......for the most part that leads to great pain and suffering. As you have found out :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Of course I did the in place upgrade - for the craic ;)
    these things have to be done in the persuit of knowledge
    nowhere near as bad as upgrading a HDD install of knoppix though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Of course I did the in place upgrade - for the craic ;)
    these things have to be done in the persuit of knowledge
    nowhere near as bad as upgrading a HDD install of knoppix though :rolleyes:
    Brave. Very brave.

I'd be hesitant of committing Knoppix to disk. It really is best as a live distro. It can't be the best at everything!

Knoppix on HDD is great. you just need 700MB free on a fat 32 partition and you can put it as an option in autoexec.bat or with a little more work boot.ini - no need for repartitioning , handy to learn but since you can't really install packages it's fairly limited - would recomend doing to an older PC that hasn't been NTFS'd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Oh God yeah Ted, I can't wait for KDE4.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not yet, haven't seen/read anything exciting about it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Oh God yeah Ted, I can't wait for KDE4.

Me too, I think it will **REVOLUTIONIZE** linux desktop computing!!!11.

Just like the other 3 did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Nah I don't use KDE. It's bloatware. Same goes for Gnome. Fluxbox is my window manager of choice. <3 fluxbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

pid() wrote:
    Nah I don't use KDE. It's bloatware. Same goes for Gnome. Fluxbox is my window manager of choice. <3 fluxbox.
    Well i have a 3.4ghz core 2 duo and a geforce 7800gt. Im going to be using a desktop that looks pretty, if i had a 8086 with 512K of memory i might use fluxbox fulltime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

djmarkus wrote:
    Well i have a 3.4ghz core 2 duo and a geforce 7800gt. Im going to be using a desktop that looks pretty, if i had a 8086 with 512K of memory i might use fluxbox fulltime.

I use xfce in work because it's lightweight. I have a c2d e6700 with 4G of ram. It is a shed load more responsive than gnome (which I use at home) but is lacking that quality integration that kde and gnome have.

Lightweight WM's have their place, even on fast machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Khannie wrote:

Lightweight WM's have their place, even on fast machines.

Indeed. I have a 3.4ghz core duo with 4 gigs of RAM. A window manager doesn't have to be resource heavy to be considered bloatware. Firstly, KDE and Gnome are stepping stones for users migrating from windows to Linux. They're easy to use, almost everything is a click away. I'm a big transparency loon. I have been ever since Eterm offered transparency. I like to see nothing other than my background, with x amount of transparent Eterms. Fluxbox is just a right click away, with it's menu also being transparent, and it's so god damn fast. It's easy to create custom menus and hot keys with it. I have it customised just the way I like it. I even have an install script I run that installs it, downloads my favourite backgrounds and creates the custom menus and settings for me, so I don't have to set it all up from scratch should I ever need to reinstall or install it on another machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I'm interested to see what KDE4 will offer alright, but as time goes on I find myself using desktop apps less.

Advertisement