Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Sniper

• 20-07-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

right, im planning on going sniper before the end of summer (HAHA summer!)
    but at the moment im just going around in circles trying to choose what to buy, being on a budget dosent help much iether, was thinking of something on the lines of a PSG1 , type L96, or the M14 is a beuty but is it good for sniping? and mainly a metal body.

The problem is, apart the the cash, is that they are mostly over the legal limit, and should i go with electric or gas? Clone or posh brand name type?

so gimme some help here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have a HFC USR11 (TM Clone) myself and happy with, it hasn't been singing in public yet and won't be probably until September but if you are unsure snipering is for you this maybe a more economical option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

id say go with a TM m14 it out performs all other stock Aeg's whilst still being under 1 joule. imo its a better option then a 1 joule bolt action.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

cheers for all the info lads, il be googling away all night know looking these up.
    I had a quick go of someones M14 down at hrta and i gotta say i was very impressd, how does range and accuraccy compare to that of say any of the other few legal snipers?

180 feet effective range seems to be agreed on by most stock tm m14 owners, while a stock vsr 10 is about 150 feet, when upgraded to 1 joule they should be fairly similar in range and one would always expect the bolt actions to be more consistant and accurate, though their's the obvious advantage of semi and full auto on the m14 and sheer quiteness on the bolt actions. it realy is personal preference but due to the short range of our sub 1 joule guns id recommend a tm m14 or some such Aeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

is playing as a sniper class really a viable option with an effective range of only 180 ft?

Surely you'd prefer someone with a full auto weapon on your team.

Don't get me wrong I love my long range shooting but from a tactics point of view can someone explain the benefits of playing as a sniper

• Advertisement

they can still outrange other Aeg's allbeit by a paltry 30 feet or so, but ya i find the option to fire follow up shots in semi or full auto burst's more usefull then a bolt action unfortunetly, although a skilled shooter with a bolt action is very hard to find as their gun is so quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

A good sniper is a very valuable resource on any team. However too many snipers on a team is a bad thing, no assault potential. Sniper is a very popular class to play as but a lot of people get disillusioned with it as it takes a lot of patience and the kill rate can be quite low. Ask yourself why everyone isn't a sniper in real military's?

That being said it's easier for a sniper to survive in an Airsoft game as they don't have to contend with mortars which are a very effective anti sniper weapon, all you need to know is the general location. Also the tactic of spraying a sniper's position is ineffective in airsoft as BB's can't penetrate foliage like real steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I went with a 1 joule (upgraded, not stock)) TM G3 SG1. It can be used as a sniper rifle or full auto AEG. Only downside is that is more noisy than a bolt action. Still, it's a good compromise.

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    A good sniper is a very valuable resource on any team. However too many snipers on a team is a bad thing, no assault potential. Sniper is a very popular class to play as but a lot of people get disillusioned with it as it takes a lot of patience and the kill rate can be quite low. Ask yourself why everyone isn't a sniper in real military's?

That being said it's easier for a sniper to survive in an Airsoft game as they don't have to contend with mortars which are a very effective anti sniper weapon, all you need to know is the general location. Also the tactic of spraying a sniper's position is ineffective in airsoft as BB's can't penetrate foliage like real steel.

Not being any bit argumentative here (so sorry if it appears that way) but you haven't really answered my question there at all have you.

Well actually I did but I sort of went around the houses a bit :p Can you be an effective sniper with a range of 180 feet? Yes! Most Sub 1 joule AEG's won't make better then 100-120 feet so you have the range advantage already.

• Advertisement

Fiach Dubh wrote:
    Well actually I did but I sort of went around the houses a bit :p Can you be an effective sniper with a range of 180 feet? Yes! Most Sub 1 joule AEG's won't make better then 100-120 feet so you have the range advantage already.

just cos your guns fires further doesn't make you an effective sniper though.

What makes you an effective sniper is concealment to get within range and take the shot un-noticed. This is all very good at 1000 yards etc (or the limits of un-aided human vision), I just doubt that someone can get with 180ft and not be seen (you'd nearly hear someone at that range let alone see them). You are allowed use binoulars and stuff yeah

I just know if it was me I may use a ghille suit for the role but I'd be bringing a full auto AEG with me (with selective semi-auto of course)

Vegeta wrote:
    just cos your guns fires further doesn't make you an effective sniper though.

What makes you an effective sniper is concealment to get within range and take the shot un-noticed. This is all very good at 1000 yards etc (or the limits of un-aided human vision), I just doubt that someone can get with 180ft and not be seen (you'd nearly hear someone at that range let alone see them). You are allowed use binoulars and stuff yeah

I just know if it was me I may use a ghille suit for the role but I'd be bringing a full auto AEG with me (with selective semi-auto of course)

I'm well aware of that. I didn't go into individually accuracy as it's a bit of a no brainer that some will be better shots then others.

You can get right up to a person without being seen, it's all a question of how much intervening cover there is. With regards to noise once the AEG's start firing they'll cover any reasonable movement noise of approaching attackers unless they're banging a drum as they come :D More times then I can remember I and many others have managed to get as close as 5-6 feet from an opponent before being detected and I carry a lot of kit.

or you could bring a buddy with you for spotting and back up fire / rear defence.
    do they call that a sniper team? i dunno.

its looking like it could be the TM M14 for me so, after all im continuosly gawking at them when i see them since i started airsofting. can anyone tell me what type of scope rail does the M14 have?
    from what ive read here they seem a quality aeg

fletch... wrote:
    or you could bring a buddy with you for spotting and back up fire / rear defence.
    do they call that a sniper team? i dunno.

its looking like it could be the TM M14 for me so, after all im continuosly gawking at them when i see them since i started airsofting. can anyone tell me what type of scope rail does the M14 have?
    from what ive read here they seem a quality aeg

Spare me your sarcasm. I tried to have a discussion with you about it and tell you what I've seen happen at the games I've played. Don't worry though, I won't bother again.

What? i wasnt being sarcastic, I was agreeing with you that snipers can be valauble team members

I apolagise then, it seemed like you were being sarcastic but if you say you weren't fair enough. Internet communication breakdown ;)

And I know that you are way more experianced then I am, since i would still concider myself noobish at this stage. so i actually do value your input and info

Well then you'll certainly get it. I can sum up the Airsoft experiance in one sentance "Once the BB's start flying things never play out quite how you expect" I learned that in my first few games ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

if you go to airsoftreports.com thers a good review on the l96

lol !
    yes all the plans really do go out the window, my first ever skirmish - i was the first to be pepperd in my "perfect" hiding spot, was only about a minute after the game started! oh how ive learnd, i actually recall yourself (Fiach Dubh) sneaking up behind 3 others beside the tanker and taking them out before they even copped you wer right behind them ! :D would have been funnyer if youd tapped them on the shoulder!

• Advertisement

cheers R C but the L96 is unfornunatly out of the question, its wwwaaaaayyyy too illegal :mad:

awww well any other snipers in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

The vsr10gspec is a great gun. If you would like you can take a look at mine next time your at hrta.

where can you gaet a pic of the vsr10gspec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The Idea of being the role of a Sniper would be my favourite
    choice but I dont think I would be able to live with a range of 180ft.

Out of all the AEG'/Airsoft Taggers etc the sniper rifle
    would be the favourite choice would be the most frustrating
    for me.

Both Vegeta and Myself both are into (real)Rifle Shooting
    where even with the small stuff a 1/2" 5 rnd group at 100m would
    be more the norm and that would be just the baby stuff
    and not the big stuff.
    I wont go into any more detail as discussing real stuff aint
    allowed but I did want to mention it so peeps would know
    our background or "why" we may have certain views.

I did not even know the AEGs were Legal until a few weeks ago.
    and my interest was to get a replica or something that looked like an
    FN just for old memories and to hang on a wall. When I heard
    that there was a sport that could simulate military situations and
    apply the same tactics etc. It got me very interested.
    Realism would be an important factor for me though .....
    so a Sniper Rifle with such a short range is an oxymoron for me.
    Its not my intention to be negative about the sniper role in airsoft
    and the range or the rifle is only one aspect of the overall role
    and is not the be all and end all.
    I would like trying the stalking/camo/fieldcraft end of things.

If we were to start doing the Airsoft sport Its probably going to be
    very hard for us to to grasp what is considered good groups or what
    is acceptable range for the Airsoft stuff. Thats why I has started
    another thread the other day asking what was were good groups
    and ranges etc. As I have not got a clue whats considered good/bad
    when it comes to airsoft.

Vegeta buy an AEG!!!! you know you want to!!! I'm already addicted
    and have my 3rd Purchase (G36) in the Post and I got 3-4 more on
    my wish list. Fired the FN again last night and got better results
    while fireing at a rock at then end of my garden. I may
    get an Steyer AUG and mount my old Niko Sterling Scope to it
    as it would look class! And its good for both short and longer ranges.
    Peter from work also expressed interest in "maybe" getting an AEG but
    I reckon he is more interested in the modding side of things like Gears etc.
    I am going to try convince a few lads in work to give it a try as soon as
    I have LOTS of AEGs to outfit a tiny team.

~B

bullets wrote:

I am going to try convince a few lads in work to give it a try as soon as
    I have LOTS of AEGs to outfit a tiny team.

~B

Now theres an idea for halloween skirmish, forget camo gear, its the A-team versus ...i dunno, the 300 with guns! would be funny as feck! :D
    although we dont have realistic range, think of everything in airsoft as scaled down in distance, so if a sniper riple has a shorter range then so does everything else, so its all evend out....or something, it made sence in my head.

that vsr10gspec looks nice indeed, the psg1 is tempting but i think im being drawn to th M14.

danm these holidays wrecking my aeg buying fun plans :p

CA has released a new m14, it is 330 stock. Take a look at it on UNCompany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

oh gawd another person who wants to crap in their pants....

LOL

kidding dude....kidding..but if you want to show committment....adult diapers await...:D

• Advertisement

Im confused?????

OMG i just shat so bad it ran right up my back! that one looks savage! cant get the full info tho because for some reason on that site i click on "more info" and just a little window opens, but i cant actually read the text, click on "buy me" and it wont work.....maybe im asleep and this is just a Nightmare :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think if everyone who wanted to play sniper did, We'd have a field full of snipers. Everyone seems to think they'd like to do it. I did myself too. (first gun I bought). It IS possible to do with a sub 1j gun. Hard as hell though. A bit too hard when you can do the same thing with a 1j long barreled AEG instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

As a sniper, you need to be prepared to go the 'road less travelled'. If you approach the enemy from a direction that they are expecting, then you won't do very well...regardless of your AEG's range.

The times I played as a sniper and was most successful was when I created hiding spots, or created new routes to the enemy position. Without trying to sound like I'm boosting my own ego, I think I've gotten pretty good at the Sniper Hunt games (I've won 3 times so far)

And being a good sniper isn't always about having to be at range. About 3-4 weeks ago, I crawled through the brambles at the side of the tanker, cutting away some brambles as I moved and creating a new route. When I emerged, I seen 3 people behind the tanker. They were covering the laneway, the rocks and the ditch entrance. They were not expecting someone to come from where I did. I was able to walk right up to them and 'bang' kill the 3 of them. Being a sniper is more about remaining concealed and sneaking rather than long ranged kills.

So, anyone can be a good sniper, even if using a pistol. Sniping is not about the gun, it's about how the person acts, thinks & moves.

Advertisement