Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

from 98 saxo to 96 corolla???

Options
  • 20-07-2007 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Folks,

drive a 98 citroen saxo. 1.1 3dr hatchback. nice little car, in very good nic,few miles
    but a mate is selling a 96 1.3 corolla hatchback. so i'm getting that itch to sell my car to mammy (she is looking to buy one anyway), pay an extra couple of hundred quid and get the corolla...

need advice whether it's justifiable:

Pluses

+ would like a 5 door car for a surf roof rack
    + would like those extra 0.2 cubic cm in the engine - regularly drive from galway to belfast
    + probably biased - but want a corolla for their reknown reliability
    + again biased - corollas easy to resell
    + NCT'd till march 2009

Minuses

- will have to fork out extra 450 quid towards the car, 96 quid towards insurance, 292 quid for tax in 1.5 months time
    - saxo has a year's tax paid for, and just VRT'd from a northern plate
    - i am a student

have just read over it, and the sensible thing seems to stay with a saxo...
    but want to head few opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I always say go with you heart - in a few months time you'll be kicking yourself when you look back and say - damn i missed that opportunity.

Well thats how i look at it - even if it was a bit of a mistake - i always say ah well - although, its hard as a student - but i was once one too, not so long ago - driving a 2.5l and im 24.........actually i take back the following the heart thing, HA HA, only joking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry - may not be what you want to hear but I would keep the Saxo. It will have better ride, handling and less road noise than the Corrolla. I have driven both, ones a car the other is a biscuit tin on wheels imo.

If you wanna change the Saxo why not look at something a little more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I havent driven the Corolla - so my comment was assuming both were as equally as good to drive but that one may be wrong in the long run due to expenses!!
    So take all opinions on the cars - and if it seems 50 / 50 - then re-read my comment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

If your studying in a seminary then the Corolla could be the car for you and you'll have a new Corolla/Auris to look forward to as soon as your ordained and get your own Parish:D Otherwise I'd stick with the Saxo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

yellow012 wrote:
    If your studying in a seminary then the Corolla could be the car for you and you'll have a new Corolla/Auris to look forward to as soon as your ordained and get your own Parish:D Otherwise I'd stick with the Saxo.

More and more priests I'm seeing are drivinng A4s, C-Class' and 320s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RobAMerc wrote:
    I have driven both, ones a car the other is a biscuit tin on wheels imo.

The main reason not to drive the Saxo is because of the light build. That and the poor interior space, or is it the patchy reliability?

Anyone suggesting that the Saxo is a better built car than the Corolla hasn't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Anyone suggesting that the Saxo is a better built car than the Corolla hasn't got a clue.

I agree. Those Corollas were fantastic cars.

You would swear from the comments in the thread that the Saxo isn't a crap car! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nothing wrong with the Corolla, if you need the extra room and a bit more go than the Saxo.

But the general prognosis on here will probably be to trade your sensible car in for a 10 or 15 year old large engined BMW. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Convince your ma to buy the Corolla, then borrow it when you really need it! Either way, Corolla ftw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Saxo = French = Crap! (also only 1.1 little engine)

Corolla is lovely car to drive. Steering and gears are so smooth. Japanese engineering versus French reliability, no competition.

There could be soe unforeseen trouble ahead with the Saxo. Beware!!

• Advertisement

yeah, the saxo may break down. selll it to your mother. great advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

colm_mcm wrote:
    yeah, the saxo may break down. selll it to your mother. great advice!

i'm laughing...but i think that's exactly what i'm doing!

i drove a punto before, so saxo was like a Xmas came early experience after that piece of crap, but still can't say i was perfectly happy with it. it does seem a bit light and not sturdy. thought the brakes weren't fantastic either ( quetion here: what are brakes like in general on citroens?)

and as regards buying a 10-15 yr old beamer - i gonna give it 2 years, then i graduate, and either get a company car or buy a nice powerful motor meself!!!

there's no general rule than all citroens have crap brakes, i do find the saxos a bit wanting. not surprising as it's an old design, based on the peugeot 106 which goes back over 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

colm_mcm wrote:
    there's no general rule than all citroens have crap brakes, i do find the saxos a bit wanting. not surprising as it's an old design, based on the peugeot 106 which goes back over 15 years.
    Yeah the 106 is such a crap car, especially the gti. I know you like slagging off other car makes in the hope of selling a few extra toyodas but ffs dont be embarrassing yourself spouting such ****e.

Which part of my statement is incorrect? The OP asked if all Citroens had crap brakes, I told him that they didn't, but that the saxos brakes weren't great. The Saxo IS based on the Peugeot 106 which was introduced in 1991, so that in my book is an old design.

I never said that the 106 GTI, or even the 106, was a crap car.

If you could read properly, (which I'm doubting) you would see that the OP is being offered a car for sale by a mate, the car in question being over 10 years old. I don't know of any main dealers that would sell such an item through boards or on the forecourt.

I'm not feeling particularly embarrassed by what I said previously, maybe I will if it turns out that I made it all up, and you're right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Never ever go back in years.

Corolla is a better car in almost ever way btw. Boring to the point of madness though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

well, to buy an exciting car you gotta splash out on either the car itself, or the extras to give it more power/torque/comfort/wow factor/pretty face/you name it.

most students don't have that kind of money, hence fugly micras ( crucify me if ye want, cant stand those cars), sh*** puntos, boring polos, faceless clios, cheap rovers, and..yip you guessed it - corollas ( don't have an adjective for this one) come in handy. and boring reliability brings happiness to long poor hungover days at lectures

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

ptashka wrote:
    the world we live in: printer ink is more expensive then rocket fuel per millilitre

You could buy a nicer car if you swapped the inkjet for a laser! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Never ever go back in years.
    Sorry Henry, can't agree with this. For me the car is the thing, not the year. I know it's different strokes etc. but there are a lot of sad people out there who are fixated on the year of their car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Never ever go back in years

I did that, once. I changed from owning nearly new Japanese cars (Micra and Primera Nissans) to old German saloon (7+ year old BMW V8 petrol saloons)

That was nearly 7 years ago. I haven't looked back. The Nissans were cars that did the job alright, just as a fridge will cool your milk. Reliability on the Micra was fine, but the Primera was crap. If only I had known it was built in England, I would never have bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

esel wrote:
    but there are a lot of sad people out there who are fixated on the year of their car.

And a lot of sad people who aren't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

ninty9er wrote:
    More and more priests I'm seeing are drivinng A4s, C-Class' and 320s
    That's because we Catholics are more likely to be intelligent and high-earners and we can afford to support our priests more generously. (PS not a joke; contact me and learn more.)

Advertisement