Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Irish Politician makes you gag?

Options
  • 20-07-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭

So which Irish politician do you find the most annoying, either because of their style or because of some policy gaff which you attribute to them

For me it's Mary O'Rourke, she sticks in my mind as being responsible or having a complete lack of vision when it came to the Luas, always reckoned she should have been running a sweet shop or a pub, not minister material. If she is ever on TV I can only watch her for a minute before reaching for the remote.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Pat Rabitte. McDowell always got stick for being arrogant (not unfairly either) but Rabitte is so pompous and arrogant. Can't stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BCF - obvious but just the thought of her. I have somehow compounded her and her father into this single, venal entity.

Any SF politician when they start doing the righteous, oppressed whine.

Although I like Paul Gogarty, there always seems to be something annoyingly zany or full-of-beans looking about him.

Willie O Dea - not so much annoying as makes me chuckle. I always think he looks like somebody going to a fancy dress party dressed as Willie O Dea. Something about that comic 'tache and hair.

Liz O Donnell - I fancy her a bit but nonetheless she looks like any number of women who hog the counter queue at Avoca / run you off the M50 in their SUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Bertie with his put-upon, one-of-the-lads act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Quite a few really. I'd dearly love if one of them that the tribunals have got dirt on would actually come out and admit they've done something wrong. Even just one might restore my faith in our political system. But at the moment it would have to be Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Has to be Martin Cullen for me, the man lacks any sort of intelligence, although does too but I'd better not develop that thought for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Mick86 wrote:
    Bertie with his put-upon, one-of-the-lads act.

Ditto and after him his brother! O'Dea is a buffoon, Lenihan is pure sleaze but give him a chance *cough*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Heinrich wrote:
    ...O'Dea is a buffoon, ....

Beware small, mustachioed men who like the sound of their own voices and who have a penchant for mixing with the military.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Mick86 wrote:
    Beware small, mustachioed men who like the sound of their own voices and who have a penchant for mixing with the military.:D

Different hairstyles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

irish1 wrote:
    Has to be Michael Cullen for me, the man lacks any sort of intelligence, although does too but I'd better not develop that thought for the time being.

You mean Martin Cullen. Bertie would rank high up there along with John O'Donoghue. What a scuttering gobsh1te :rolleyes:

All of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Tom Parlon

pure C dash dash T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Bertie - sneaky, snivelling gimp.
    Beverly Cooper Flynn - The very thought of this woman makes my blood boil. Its fun to take ordinary decent people for a ride.
    Padraig Flynn - See above.
    John O'Donoghue - Should have been a 'model' for Irish Independent's 'Life' magazine.

...ah there all a bunch of buffoons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Willie O'Dea (aka Charlie Chaplin). How can that man be taken seriously, especially being Minister for Defense, looking like he does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

I've had the unfortunate experience of working with Rabbitte in the past.
    He is extremely arrogant, pretentious and pompous both personally and professionally.
    He has a nasty habit of walking out of the room mid conversation. When he has heard enough or gotten his answer, he will simply walk off. I've heard it said, and seen it done myself enough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Willie O Dea - not so much annoying as makes me chuckle. I always think he looks like somebody going to a fancy dress party dressed as Willie O Dea. Something about that comic 'tache and hair.
    :D
    That's the most perfect description of him ever.

Back when McCreevy was Minister for Finance, I couldn't see him on TV without shouting at it :o He constantly looks like he's planning your murder when he's answering a question. I just don't like him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Brian Cowen. An insufferable arsehole who seems to get up on the wrong side of the bed every morning. He just snaps at anything that goes against him.

He should be put on the dangerous dog breed list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

All of the above except Brian Cowen who I actually like.

I hate Noel Dempsey who has single handedly destroyed any chance Ireland had to have a competitive broadband market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Willie O'Dea (aka Charlie Chaplin). How can that man be taken seriously, especially being Minister for Defense, looking like he does?

Sure the Ministry of Defence is a load of b*llocks as it stands already. At least O'Dea's election posters are entirely graffitti-proof, no funny glasses or Hitler taches for him!

I'd personally like to smack the head off Brian Hayes and David Norris. Mary Harney could do with a dig or seven as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Bertie, John O'Donoghue & the bulk of the FF party, with a few PD's thrown in for good measure.

I'd say McDowell, but he hardly counts anymore? Literally & figuratively...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

FTA69 wrote:
    Sure the Ministry of Defence is a load of b*llocks as it stands already. At least O'Dea's election posters are entirely graffitti-proof, no funny glasses or Hitler taches for him!

I'd personally like to smack the head off Brian Hayes and David Norris. Mary Harney could do with a dig or seven as well.

That's true. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That man who passes as a TD with the name of Jackie Healy Rae. Many and varied are my descriptions of him, which I won't utter here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 themurt

Not a huge fan of Olwyn Enright, she was canvassing in my area and displayed her true colours on the doorstep as an utter lightweight, no consideration of the issues in the constituency or any real opinions on national issues either beyond bashing her opponents. She also made it pretty clear that she hadn't read her own parties manifesto before looking for votes as she was in the dark on issues her party were campaigning about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

1. Mary O'Rourke, definite lack of vision a la LUAS as mentioned above but also for the mess that is Dublin Airport. Air France wanted to build a 2nd treminal for free 10 years ago but she would have none of it. I am totally in agreement with Michael O'Leary regarding her, and even more shocked to find that I agree with Michael O'Leary about anything!
    2. Bertie, I'm not even going anywhere near the constant (and justified) questions about his finances. But he is an absolute g******e when it comes to actually making decisions, preferring to leave things on the long finger and get worse and worse. The buck never stops with him.
    3. McDowell. Thank God he's gone. The only good thing to have come out of this election. Now can someone please put a stake in his heart? Politically I mean!
    4. Martin Cullen. How long have you got? Electronic voting? Arrogance? Incompetence? You get the idea.
    5. Dick Roche. Arrogance and incompetence all rolled up into an awfully unappealing package.
    6. Willie O Dea. Seeing as he's mentioned above, but I can't take him seriously. Does anyone?
    7. O'Donoghue. Another arrogant blowhard who fancies himself. What has he actually done apart from moving part of the state solicitors office to Kerry and giving disproportionately large amounts of OUR lotto moniesto clubs in his constituency? Has shown himself up in his first day as CC
    8. Dempsey. As mentioned above decently priced quality Broadband (or lack of) and also started the electronic voting fiasco.
    9. Martin Ferris. Never liked the man and thank God that he's not anywhere near power.
    10. Tom Parlon. I always thought he was only out for himself. Glad to see that he actually has a sense of public service and left politics. Oh wait, he was thrown out :D
    11. Cowen. Is this man really the towering intellect of FF? God help us if this is the case. Did he commandeer the buffet car of the decentralisation train before it came off the rails?
    12. Conor Lenihan. Still think of him snoring while on air before giving an interview to RTE while he was at the FF pissup (sorry strategy meeting) in the Slieve Russell a year or two ago. Can't take him seriously after that. The next Willie O'Dea
    13. Trevor Sargent. Led the Greens into supporting FF for less than was promised on the FF manifesto!
    14. Can't think of any FGers that make me angry. I just don't care about them. Well except Leo Varadakar, I don't hold out any hopes for him after seeing too much of him in my constituency.
    15. Joan Burton. Never sure about her competence at all. The Labour version of Mary O'Rourke IMO.

Maybe it might be easier making a list of current politicians that people actually admire.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mary O'Rourke, definite lack of vision a la LUAS
    Just curious to know what you mean by this - Not enough lines, not running through the right areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well her totally unjoined up thinking for a start. All the crap that we're going to have to go through now to join the two lines together.

But then again she has been the worst minister I have seen in a long time. Yes even worse than Cullen, O'Dea and Roche combined. She's got Joe Jacob like levels of incompetence and good family connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Enda "Dream on baby" Kenny. Think this above anything else lost him the election. When you see this on the 6 O'Clock news and thought this is the future and change, Eh! No thanks.

Brian Hayes - Seems a bright enough fella but is it me, no matter what he says, you just want to lamp him! . Does he look smug and arrogant at 6 in the morning as well?

? Twomey - the FG Health spokesperson during the election. Come on how could anybody lose the Health debate to Harney?

Ferris - see Hayes.

Roche - see Ferris.

Have to agree with Lost in Blanch on Joan Burton. Hearts in the right place but my God is she boring. Bring back Noonan, but then again he was annoying too.

Dermot Ahern - overrated.

O'Caoilin - always criticising, never constructive.

O'Donoghue - nearly as bad as Jackie Healy.

Dempsey - in fairness he does speak his mind, sometimes thats not neccesarily a good thing!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bertie Ahern......his smugness and distain for anyone who can see the faults with a "richer but unhappier" Ireland or points out the folly of allowing public services to deteriorate.........also a complete failure of leadership in not firing ministers who wasted our money and/or who weren't up to the job......finally, his arrogant public statements abroad that "Ireland" was not going to do anything about the U.S. using Shannon......he should have come clean and said that HE wasn't prepared to do anything, so that he wouldn't give the impression that WE agreed with him.

There are many wastes-of-space in FF (just look at the eircom & broadband fiasco, the e-voting machines, inflation, public services) but the buck stops with Bertie, since he decides who should do what.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

The new Justice Minister...Lenihan! Firstly for his arrogance and utter lack of humanity on Q and A the other night when referring to the Roma people on the M50.
    He smugly reports that they had no right to be here even though they are EU nationals.
    Furthermore the INIS is a complete shambles and is seriously effecting immigrants that have been living here for years and paying taxes. Example one: Long Term Residency is supposed to take three months and is now taking over a year. Citizenship is now taking over 2 years. Disgraceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I don't agree, Sovtek.....NO-ONE has any right to set up home in the middle of a roundabout (and in fact, anyone with respect for their children would not put them in danger by doing so).

Some EU citizens can travel unhindered, while others require work permits and proof that they are working.....that's the law.

Likewise, there are lots of people who can barely afford housing, and yet people expect the country to provide homes and accommodation for these people.

If I could not afford a home for myself, should I pitch camp in the middle of a roundabout in an effort to cause enough of a fuss so that someone would give me a house or accommodation for free ?

To me, the differentiation between where they come from is a little unfair; anyone should be welcome as long as they obey the rules, but equality works both ways......giving this group special treatment would open the floodgates for spongers; and this isn't racist, it applies to both those from abroad and our own home-grown spongers that are also far too prevalent.

By all means, let as many people as possible/feasible to come in and contribute to society and the economy - many people have, and it's great to see them being successful and making a life for themselves - but they should not expect special treatment over and above what is available to others.

In many ways, our laws are too lax and actually contribute to racism, since there appears to be no way of saying "come to Ireland, we'll welcome you, but put a foot wrong or break the law and you're on your way home - immediately!!". We have enough of our own criminals to deal with.

And while setting up home on a roundabout and not having work permits is minor compared with what some people get up to, it is still against the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Seanies32 wrote:
    ? Twomey - the FG Health spokesperson during the election. Come on how could anybody lose the Health debate to Harney?

Liam Twomey. The man who ran as an independant on a completely anti party politcis card then joined FG as soon as he was in the Dail. Told me on my doorstep in 2002 that each vote he got would be one that the mainstream parties didn't get. We all know what happened next. Good ridance.

In my origianal post, how in god's name could I forget Bertie. At least the bed is made and now he has to lie (pun intended) in it!

Advertisement