Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Irish Politician makes you gag?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Liam Twomey. The man who ran as an independant on a completely anti party politcis card then joined FG as soon as he was in the Dail. Told me on my doorstep in 2002 that each vote he got would be one that the mainstream parties didn't get. We all know what happened next. Good ridance.

He was very poor. Seen him on Q & A and a few other things. Harney won hands down. Not just him either, the opposition where very poor on health. If they had been more imaginative they might have actually won the election.
    liam byrne wrote:
    NO-ONE has any right to set up home in the middle of a roundabout (and in fact, anyone with respect for their children would not put them in danger by doing so).

Some EU citizens can travel unhindered, while others require work permits and proof that they are working.....that's the law.

Likewise, there are lots of people who can barely afford housing, and yet people expect the country to provide homes and accommodation for these people.

If I could not afford a home for myself, should I pitch camp in the middle of a roundabout in an effort to cause enough of a fuss so that someone would give me a house or accommodation for free ?

To me, the differentiation between where they come from is a little unfair;

Agree with you there. Alan Dukes was saying on Prime Time tonight that none had applied for work visas and they would not be entitled to welfare for 2 years so I don't understand the motive. They would be entitled to housing but not welfare. It is a bit unfair they are treated different to the 10 countries in 04 but then again all the other EU countries have the same policy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Like I said, I don't completely understand the reasons for the policy, but doesn't the fact that "none had applied for work visas", but they would still be entitled to (and were kindof demanding) housing not strike anyone as an indication of their intent ?

I mean, if any of us want to head to Oz or the U.S, we need visas, or else we get sent home. Period.

And all of us here need to work in order to pay our way. So there was no discrimination.

Like I said earlier, it's people like this that will cause racism.....there could be (and are) thousands of immigrants here working their asses off and then a few potential spongers get all the media coverage......Joe Soap, struggling to pay his mortgage, gets the impression that the country is soft on those guys and, not having seen media coverage of all the hard workers, judges all immigrants with the same yardstick and boom! Instant racism!

Sending them home was the right option; if they want to apply for visas and work here and pay rent like the rest of us including all the decent immigrants, no problem, but like I said we have enough of our own home-grown spongers and dossers already, thank you very much!

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Like I said, I don't completely understand the reasons for the policy, but doesn't the fact that "none had applied for work visas", but they would still be entitled to (and were kindof demanding) housing not strike anyone as an indication of their intent ?

Agreed.

Big reason was economic. People from Romania and Bulgaria would tend to be less educated than Polish, Slovakians etc. Also given the economic situation in the last year another huge intake wasn't recommended. As the McDowell, the economist, said on PT, wasn't sure of the merits of letting everybody in 3 years ago but it worked. Same could well apply now. There is already signs of unease between non nationals and nationals in the Construction sector as well.
    liam byrne wrote:
    Like I said earlier, it's people like this that will cause racism.....there could be (and are) thousands of immigrants here working their asses off and then a few potential spongers get all the media coverage......Joe Soap, struggling to pay his mortgage, gets the impression that the country is soft on those guys and, not having seen media coverage of all the hard workers, judges all immigrants with the same yardstick and boom! Instant racism!

Definitely. Prime Time was very interesting.Dukes was saying it was well known they can't claim welfare for 2 years, I don't think so. Most people seem to think they get houses and new cars straight away. Then you see the coverage of hostels and food vouchers. Somethings not adding up! Time for a new thread maybe :confused:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I don't agree, Sovtek.....NO-ONE has any right to set up home in the middle of a roundabout (and in fact, anyone with respect for their children would not put them in danger by doing so).

Thats assuming they chose to live there. I can hardly believe people would chose to live that way.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10454107
    Some EU citizens can travel unhindered, while others require work permits and proof that they are working.....that's the law.

That's all very well and good for the Irish isn't it. I wonder how you would react to the same imposition on yourselves.
    Bertie's now trying to get the illegal Irish in America treated different to (some) of the EU nationals here.

By all means, let as many people as possible/feasible to come in and contribute to society and the economy - many people have, and it's great to see them being successful and making a life for themselves - but they should not expect special treatment over and above what is available to others.

My understanding is that they weren't expecting anything over and above what's available to an Irish person.
    In many ways, our laws are too lax and actually contribute to racism, since there appears to be no way of saying "come to Ireland, we'll welcome you, but put a foot wrong or break the law and you're on your way home - immediately!!". We have enough of our own criminals to deal with.

Immigration law is not criminal law.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Agree with you there. Alan Dukes was saying on Prime Time tonight that none had applied for work visas and they would not be entitled to welfare for 2 years so I don't understand the motive. They would be entitled to housing but not welfare. It is a bit unfair they are treated different to the 10 countries in 04 but then again all the other EU countries have the same policy.

They weren't aware they had to apply for a work visa. Many are illiterate and I can tell you from experience applying for a work visa here isn't easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Quickly getting back on topic:rolleyes: Pat Carey - he looks kinda :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

sovtek wrote:
    They weren't aware they had to apply for a work visa. Many are illiterate and I can tell you from experience applying for a work visa here isn't easy.

That's an excuse not a reason!

How did they get here? Aerlingus.ie? They must have chartered a plane...

Heinrich wrote:
    That's an excuse not a reason!

How did they get here? Aerlingus.ie? They must have chartered a plane...

It is a reason and it's the one they stated.

sovtek wrote:
    It is a reason and it's the one they stated.

Sorry to be padedantic but it is an excuse!

How do illiterates manage the logistics of bringing 70 people to this country and setting up shop on the Ballymun Roundabout? Are passports invoved? What about the tickets for travelling and how were they paid for?

Judging by the alacrity of complying to the authorities demands that they go home I reckon they probably earned enough to justify the journey and the free ride home, paid for by the local taxpayers.;)

Back on topic folks.
    There are plenty of threads in after hours for you to enjoy talking about the Roma besides here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

MoominPapa wrote:
    Quickly getting back on topic:rolleyes: Pat Carey - he looks kinda :eek:
    What does that mean?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Bertie Ahern makes me gag. What a corrupt phoney. I hate to see him at Dublin GAA matches, he is a jinx who only supports them for political points!

Three Green politicians make me gag ever since they landed on Planet Bertie.

:mad: Necks like jockey's b*ll*cks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Ivana Bacik.

Oh, how I detest her. She's more orthodox than the Pope when it comes to adherance to dogma, her dogma being the lefty trendy liberal one.
    If there's a trendy liberal view on something, she holds it.
    Nothing she has ever said has even remotely surprised me.

Thankfilly, most Labour pols are not like her, otherwise I'd never ever ever dream of voting Labour...

Also she also looks a bit like one of the vampires on Buffy:

http://www.ivanabacik.com/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

sovtek wrote:
    The new Justice Minister...Lenihan! Firstly for his arrogance and utter lack of humanity on Q and A the other night when referring to the Roma people on the M50.
    He smugly reports that they had no right to be here!
    He was right!

My list Cullen is no.1 (too many reasons to list)
    Roche also (water in galway and the praise he gave them at handling the crisis????.... I think you are missing the point dick??)
    ODonoghue (ah come on now)
    Parlon (as someone else said out for himself)
    Mary ORourke (oh my good god how could they elect her)
    BCF (for her arrogance after the final appeal against rte)
    Ivana Bacik (I really dislike her, Her Feminism is of the brand that is simply anti male and being on such an single minded extreme is wrong in a pluralist democracy)

Joan Burton is a great politician. She she does bland and boring on Q & A but on local issues she is king. She goes and represents the estates that wouldnt be represented if it was left to the Castleknock comfortable Lenihan.
    McDowell is a big loss to irish politics. I didnt like his party and his parties policies but he was a straight talker and that was unique in irsh politics. Also great pity Joe higgins lost his seat when there should have been one for him of the census figures were taken into account for the constituency.
    Ivan Yates was another loss to politics. Good man , straight talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

What does that mean?!
    It means he looks like a freaky mf and his manner gives me the creeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

Saint Ruth wrote:
    Ivana Bacik.

Oh, how I detest her. She's more orthodox than the Pope when it comes to adherance to dogma, her dogma being the lefty trendy liberal one.
    Nothing she has ever said has even remotely surprised me.

Thankfilly, most Labour pols are not like her, otherwise I'd never ever ever dream of voting Labour...

have to agree. can't stand this woman- actually get angry every time i see her. How many times has she failed to be elected before she finally limped into the Seanad last week. Sees herself as the new Mary Robinson, but if she ever gets real power in this country, I'm emigrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Saint Ruth wrote:

Do you imagine somebody goes to great lengths to disseminate their views for the sole sake of being 'trendy' or is that the only word you can think of to criticize her politics?

I actually saw her in the Carnival bar the other night. Must be the first time they had a senator drinking in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

stovelid wrote:
    Do you imagine somebody goes to great lengths to disseminate their views for the sole sake of being 'trendy' or is that the only word you can think of to criticize her politics?
    Where did I write that?

I believe she's far far worse than that.

I believe she believes every word of it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bertie Ahern makes me gag. What a corrupt phoney. I hate to see him at Dublin GAA matches, he is a jinx who only supports them for political points!

Agreed....I hate his "man of the people, I drink pints in the local on a Friday and support Man U and the Dubs" fake image. Actually, I wonder has he been seen around Tolka Park now that Shelbourne are no longer the hot team in Dublin soccer and on tv/newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I was going to say Bertie Ahern, Martin Cullen, Mary O'Rourke or Ivana Bacik, but upon his nomination to the Senate, which now makes him a politician, I think first place must go to Senator(:eek:) Eoghan Harris

Senator Eoghan Harris. OMG. On senators Joe O'Toole too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Collie D wrote:
    Agreed....I hate his "man of the people, I drink pints in the local on a Friday and support Man U and the Dubs" fake image. Actually, I wonder has he been seen around Tolka Park now that Shelbourne are no longer the hot team in Dublin soccer and on tv/newspapers.

Ahern was never a Shels fan. I know of him being at two of our games, one of which was the Deportivo game in 2004. The way he some how has this man of the people image drives me nuts. I've never actually met anyone who believes this crap, yet the media give it out all the time. "The Man of the People" who has just spent the guts of a week scabbing off Corporate Ireland. :rolleyes:

And how the hell has that little weasel Haughey Jnr not made it in here? :mad:

Would defo agree with the likes of Cullen and Cooper-Flynn, and our newest "politican" Eoghan Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

dodgyme wrote:
    Ivana Bacik (I really dislike her, Her Feminism is of the brand that is simply anti male and being on such an single minded extreme is wrong in a pluralist democracy)
    I'm not really pushed about the feminism, it's the self-promotion that annoys me. She has a book entitled, "Dragging Ireland into the 21st Century", what sort of person is arrogant enough to think they have had that much pull of Irish society :rolleyes:

Don't like Labour's Joan Burton either. For a shadow Finance Minister, she's complete half-wit. When we got the last interest rate hike, she seemed completely baffled as to why this was happening when Irish homeowners were struggling to meet mortgage payments. Biffo would eat the thick sow alive.

Jackie-Healy Rae, for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

All of the returned empties who are then appointed to the Seanad: the voters say "GO AWAY! WE DON'T WANT YOU! GO AWAY, PLEASE!!!" - and then they're slotted into the Seanad to represent us.

Otherwise, I'm with Captain Moonlight:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wL_rI_khCo4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Bertie Ahern for playing the family-card in the whole Bertiegate thing and then blaming others for bringing his family into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Why do I keep seeing the name of this thread as "Which Irish politician makes you gay?"

Can't think of one, male or female. Bertie? Shudder. Harney? Double shudder. Gormley? Ewww. What about that Man of Defence with his nice bristly moustache? Nah, not even he could do it for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Most of the FF front bench actually. Ahern, Cowen and Martin oh yes and O' Dea give me serious nausea when I hear the some of the **** they come out with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What FF politicians don't make you gag? I hate them all.:rolleyes:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Bertie. Worst Taoiseach Ever. As others have already said, the whole fake "one of de lads like shure ye know yerself" act. It's so obviously fake, but so many people seem to fall for it. A decade of refusing to take decisions, refusing to fix anything that was broken, put everything on the long finger until the system breaks down entirely, then hive it all off to a bunch of corporate gangsters who get sweetheart deals and rigged markets to make billions off the taxpayer, all on the basis that "the private sector can do it better".

Well duh, Bertie. If you'd spent the last 10 years actually doing your job, the systems wouldn't be broken in the first place, you insufferable little gombeen twerp. Arrrrgh!

Rabbitte for being a smug pompous Stickie eejit. Senator (:eek:) Harris for being, well, just unpleasant in every possible way. Dempsey for broadband and evoting; Dickroach for planning, unaccountable local government and undrinkable water; Cullen for just being Cullen, the tosser; Ivana Bacik for being quite, quite mad...Conor Lenihan, Brian Lenihan, Liam Twomey, Mad Mullah McDowell, Harney, the High Priestess of Corporate Welfare. O'Dea, though he does get some bonus points for sheer WTF? comedy value. O'Donoghue, Healey Rae, Ferris (what is it with Kerry?). The gruesome Flynns. Joan Burton, utterly clueless on economic matters and with the most boring voice known to man. Frank Fahey, fat gombeen smugness personified. Brian Hayes, a petulant face and whiny voice that even a mother would want to slap. O'Caolain, who can MOPE and bore for Ireland. And the entire Green Party for selling out and managing to take 2 weeks to "negotiate" a programme for government that is environmentally worse than any of the original manifestos of the three parties involved, and contains not a single one of their alleged "principles". Now that takes some doing.

Advertisement