Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop broadband problem

Options
  • 20-07-2007 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

This maybe the wrong forrum in which to post but please feel free to delete /move if it is .

So my problem...I have two laptops in my home both of which are connected to an Eircom wireless broadband router.One is mine and one is not. With one laptop I can use utorrent and get download speeds of over 200kbs but on my laptop on the same torrent I get speeds of 0.5 kpbs and it never creeps above this.I've done the whole forwarding ports thing in the modem,changed firewall settings and done everything I can think of to correct it but I only ever get "port closed" when I check to see if its worked.This is regardless of what port I use. The same virus scanner and XP firewall run on both laptops.Seeing as one laptop is working so well the problem does not seem to be my modem or Eircom (for a change!) I presume the problem is with my laptop. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as regards what I might do to fix this ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from laptop forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If the port is still closed, then perhaps you didn't forward it correctly.

This is presuming that you've got full connectivity between second laptop and router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm sure that I have forwarded it correctly though. I've done it a few times now to be sure to be SURE! :) No matter what I do its all to no avail. Ive downloaded a program to check if any ports are open on my laptop and according to it no ports are open at all. My browser works fine and an IRC client.Anything I can do or try ?

Advertisement