Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Weeks into 3 contract! What are my chances?

Options
  • 20-07-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

As said, 7 weeks into 12mth contract but this has just goten to the stage where its just silly. Never had speeds above 30KB/s, and that was a rare day. Pages time out, every third page has to be refreshed and this is when i can get on line.

Error 691 for maybe 3 to 4hrs a day and this is with a 4 bar signal. Been onto 3 many times and had 4 different english men tell me theres not much we can do. "I see you are gone beyond your 14 day money back" is the line im geting. but hey we are upgrading all the time so sit tight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've heard they will be doing upgrades in the first week of August.

Mine is working fine, touch wood. Posting from my 3 broadband connection now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As said, 7 weeks into 12mth contract but this has just goten to the stage where its just silly. Never had speeds above 30KB/s, and that was a rare day. Pages time out, every third page has to be refreshed and this is when i can get on line.

Error 691 for maybe 3 to 4hrs a day and this is with a 4 bar signal. Been onto 3 many times and had 4 different english men tell me theres not much we can do. "I see you are gone beyond your 14 day money back" is the line im geting. but hey we are upgrading all the time so sit tight.

If you had such a lousy performance from the start why did you persist with the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

dub45 wrote:
    If you had such a lousy performance from the start why did you persist with the service?

It wasn't as bad as it is now when i first pluged it in. In the last two to three weeks however even connecting is a major issue as is the loading of web pages. If it was a case of slow download speeds only, i could live with it, but as i said its just goten silly at this stage. Whats the point of 9+gigs left unused every month cos you can't use it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

unfair contract in my opinion, the cell has in and breathed away from you ...given your range.

the range shown on the 3 map is for an empty cell more or less, once it gets traffic it shrinks, they have not admitted that but its physics and sh1t

as they get customers they should shrink their coverage map accordingly ...or roll out new cells

Sponge Bob wrote:
    unfair contract in my opinion, the cell has in and breathed away from you ...given your range.

the range shown on the 3 map is for an empty cell more or less, once it gets traffic it shrinks, they have not admitted that but its physics and sh1t

as they get customers they should shrink their coverage map accordingly ...or roll out new cells

Given what both sponge bob and watty have said about the 3.6 been divided by users per cell and what my brother was told when he bought his modem some weeks back 3s Portlaois branch have perhaps sold a couple hundred units in the last 2mths or so.

This is a real black spot for bb and i'd very well belive these figures. If you have a 4 to 5 bar hsdpa signal and can't either connect or load a simple web page theres something wrong. I also have o2s option and have to say its very good indeed and with the same signal strength as 3s.

If the thing worked and at the price i'd be more than happy to keep it and perhaps even a second 3 modem. If its a thing i can get this sorted with 3 im gona sign up for another o2 or if voda upgrade there cell to 3g go with them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would contact the ODCA about this , www.odca.ie , and not the useless comreg.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I would contact the ODCA about this , www.odca.ie , and not the useless comreg.

What i'll do is when my phone line comes back i will speak with 3s customer service and quote ref numbers from the times i tried to sort this out with there technical dep and explain as i have here what the issues are.

If after that i can't walk into the shop from which i bought this modem and get my money back i will then follow it up via http://www.consumerconnect.ie I don't want to go that route but if needs be i will. As i said if it worked i'd have two of them and depending on what happens with digiwebs mobile offerings will get another from o2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

What i'll do is when my phone line comes back i will speak with 3s customer service and quote ref numbers from the times i tried to sort this out with there technical dep and explain as i have here what the issues are.

If after that i can't walk into the shop from which i bought this modem and get my money back i will then follow it up via http://www.consumerconnect.ie I don't want to go that route but if needs be i will. As i said if it worked i'd have two of them and depending on what happens with digiwebs mobile offerings will get another from o2.
    If u read back a couple pages there was a post from Bard who explains after 30 days the shop no longer issues refunds or repllacements but there may be other avenues u can follow to cancel your contract
    if u want the 139 back from the modem id advise to get in there asap as if u wait too long they will say u have had some use from the modem and arent due a full refund
    cancelling the 12month contract should be the easy part as they are the ones who breached it in the first place

Is that 30 calander days or 30 working days?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I have my 3 modem for bout the same length of time as you OP. Its working pretty well granted the speeds aren't fantastic but I'd have to say that I see 30/kbs alot more than you do. Webpages are slow to load and occasionally I have refresh them to actually bring up the page.

One major downside is going over your 10Gb limit. My boyfriend has a 3 modem too and his first bill he was charged €11 extra for going over his limit, even though according to his volume statistic he didn't. 3 charged per kbs rather than per mb which is pretty mean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

JPB, I've had the exact same experience.

Speed went to nonsense after the first 3 weeks.

Couldn't take it any longer so I sent in a letter giving details of all my calls to customer care, tech support and managers - none of which were returned.

I said that I had no choice but to cancel the contract.

That was 2 days ago, haven't heard anything back yet.

Will post any response from 3 ... I really think they haven't a leg to stand on really. It was 5 times worse that dialup for about 3 weeks straight, and they didn't give me any indication that they were trying to fix or improve it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

to be fair, you did have a 14 day trial, surely that was plenty of time to know whether or not the service was suitable??

philstar wrote:
    to be fair, you did have a 14 day trial, surely that was plenty of time to know whether or not the service was suitable??
    Yes thats fair enough phil, but as i said over the last 3 to 4 weeks it has just goten worst with each passing week. It wouldn't be so bad if i could connect and surf and even leave my pc on 24/7 in order to download a large file,

but i can't even do that as the server connection times out and the modem disconnects. When i say its bad i mean its really bad and in order for it to get any worst it would just have to stop working altogether

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well to be honest with you, i don't think vodafone or o2 are much better if the threads in this forum are anything to go by.

philstar wrote:
    well to be honest with you, i don't think vodafone or o2 are much better if the threads in this forum are anything to go by.

I have o2s modem also and can tell you a 100meg file will be on my hd in 6mins, it connects in about 3sec and surfs like a dream.

The very same 100meg file from the same server with 3 takes 14hrs:confused: can't speak for vodas offer as there cell is not 3g enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I have o2s modem also and can tell you a 100meg file will be on my hd in 6mins, it connects in about 3sec and surfs like a dream.

The very same 100meg file from the same server with 3 takes 14hrs:confused: can't speak for vodas offer as there cell is not 3g enabled.
    my o2 modem was much faster aswell,at night it could download at 2300k
    and once i blew 9gig in a few hrs downloading
    I think the 3 modem is worse now only because its the cheapest and more people are piling on
    the first 3 modem i got about a month ago was much much faster than the one i have now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

philstar wrote:

Thats not exactly fair, Although 02 have only released there product recently and only time will tell on how well their product performs, Vodafone have had a 3G offering for a full year and there has been little or no complaints on this board about it. Ive been with them for about a week shy of a year and have never had a single problem. Even though Vodafones maximum speed is less than 3's I find it to be much more realistic than what 3 are advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Re: Vodafone
    I trialed a Vodafone USB modem for about 3 weeks from work. Used it mainly in Kildare and for short periods in Dublin. Frankly it was useless – even when it fell back to GPRS it was still useless – crawled along sometimes – worse than the Three one I tried. As a Vodafone shareholder (own about 0.000…00001% of the company) I’m mightily unimpressed with their broadband offering. Under the Sale of Goods & Services Act the product should be fit for purpose i.e. it should work as advertised. If there are conditions when the service may not work as advertised (e.g. contention, network load what ever) this should be given the same prominence in the advertising so that consumers can make an informed decision when selecting a service to purchase.

Advertisement