Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance

Options
  • 20-07-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭half_life_man

how much would it be to get insured on a mitsubishi lancer 1.8 engine, 1996. im 17 years old and the car i am goin to buy is done up a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Ring the insurance companies, or try the online ones, but at 17 I don't think you're going to have much chance, even a 1ltr car will cost a couple of grand.
    Have you a full license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭half_life_man

just have my provisional. would you even have an idea how much were talkin like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

At least two grand, I'd say. Since the engine is above a 1.6 and you have a provisional it means that they will screw you.

But some day you will be in a position to make them beg for your business assuming you don't make any claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Most companies will steer clear. No point asking here for guesses just ring the companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

2 grand? You're joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

And the rest.

tbh, its going to be funny money

I'm 18, almost on second provisional, on my mother's 10yr no claim bonus on a 1.4l astra, and its gonna cost something like 2200.

on my own policy, for the laugh i got a quote last year...

it was eight hundred shy of 10grand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

tbh, its going to be funny money

I'm 18, almost on second provisional, on my mother's 10yr no claim bonus on a 1.4l astra, and its gonna cost something like 2200.

on my own policy, for the laugh i got a quote last year...

it was eight hundred shy of 10grand....

That has to be wrong.

I'm 19, first provisional, 1.4 Pug 306, No NCB or driving experience and paying less then 2K.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

how much would it be to get insured on a mitsubishi lancer 1.8 engine, 1996. im 17 years old and the car i am goin to buy is done up a bit.
    not a chance in hell you're gonna get insured unless mummy and daddy want to remortgage the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm presuming it's a GSR turbo. They won't touch you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

why do you want a 1.8 lancer? Is it a gsr? If it is you would want an awful lot of money between insurance, tax and petrol, not to mention hospital/repail bills:D

Britton insurance i think are good if you want to get something fast when youre young. But seriously a GSR is not a good car to learn to drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Esay answer is you wont. I am 20 have my full licence and find it hard gettting qoutes on any car over 1.4 and let alone it being a lancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It's no wonder we have all the deaths on the road. I say close to 4k would insure you, thats if they would insure you at all.
    My first car is costing me 1k and its a 1.2l clio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Back in the days of when I started to drive, the cost of insuring me when I was 17 on a provo licence on my parent's Ford Sierra 1.7L Turbo Diesel was in the region of €3,500. Needless to say I only then opted for the one-month-at-a-time insurance policies that Hibernian were doing (maybe they still do them). You can get insursed of €96 per month, but the catch is that you can only get insured for 3 months a year. Still though, it is better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

You wont get insured on that.

Best bet a 1.3 GLX Lancer

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Well if you want to get a gsr i definatley would not reccomend the 1.3 glx. Its a good car, very reliable etc but its very slow and boring to drive, also if you drive it hard it uses loads of petrol and still is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

............ im 17 years old and the car i am goin to buy is done up a bit.

I would be very supprised if you were offered insurance, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fanboy wrote:
    That has to be wrong.

I'm 19, first provisional, 1.4 Pug 306, No NCB or driving experience and paying less then 2K.

Who are you with? My son is paying over 3 grand for a 1.25 fiesta. he's 18 ,No NCB and on his first provisional, He's with quinn direct.

To the op , It will be expensive if you can get anyone to take you, 3 k plus .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I'm paying 1,700 on a 1.0 litre ibiza, 19 on provisional.

Advertisement