Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clever place to flag a taxi late saturday night

Options
  • 20-07-2007 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

any tips where to start walking around 2am heading southside to flag an incoming taxi, rathmines or ranelagh? nightlink no use to me:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

beside the road ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Walk down Dame street all taxis coming back into town will be coming along that road.

kdjac

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

at 2am you'll get a taxi anywhere as most people are still in the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I walk down Pearse st because all the taxis coming back from the D4 area usually go that way going back into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

depending on ur mood, u can either walk down dame st towards christ church, or wait at the taxi rank across from where virgin megastore used to be. or else actually try phoning ur local cab company to see if they have anyone nearby. worked a few times for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

The best way to get a taxi on a Saturday night is to go to a hotel and ring for one. Got this tip from several different taxi drivers. For some reason they are required to respond quickly to calls from hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dirty Knuckles

MLM wrote:
    The best way to get a taxi on a Saturday night is to go to a hotel and ring for one. Got this tip from several different taxi drivers. For some reason they are required to respond quickly to calls from hotels.

We're not required or obligied to take calls from hotels, or treat them as a priority over other calls. And besides, most hotel night duty managers won't allow you pass the front door's.

Getting a taxi on a Saturday night.

Well as a taxi driver my tip is to leave the bar/club 30 minutes before closing time. Leave at closing time or shortly afterwards and its just pot luck.

If your in the city centre I wouldn't bother ringing a cab company as alot driver's don't work the radio after midnight on the weekends because the work is on the street's.

Working the radio when your in town is a pain in the ass TBH. As until you pick up the fare your roof sign stays on, and people think your for hire, its one reason why so many driver's with their roof signs on pass people on the street, its because they're booked and can't take a fare.

People I won't take;

Drunks, if your falling around drunk forget it, most driver's will drive past.

Whistlers, most driver's DETEST being whistled at from the street.

The 'hitler salute'. You know, frog marching down the road with your arm extended like a Nazi, lol. Although in fairness, its only a certain type of of person who does this and there's a good reason why most drivers won't stop for them!.

If your alone, don't stand near a bunch of idiots. I like to take lone fairs off the street, but if your near a bunch of idiots who might try to rush the taxi and muscle you out of the way I don't take a chance!.

Ranks, after closing time don't bother!.. Particularly if your in Dame Street or on the Gresham because its almost impossible for a driver to get to them and pass the hoards of people already out of the clubs.

Personally, and I speak for alot of drivers here. I won't go near the Gresham after closing, not a snowballs chance in hell!. Just too much trouble TBH. Although Dame St. is fine, its just hard to get in that far withou picking up a fair.

There ya go, I hope you got something out of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're in Dame Street, walk northside to the rank at Jury's in Parnell Street - almost always taxis there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

While it's a bit of trek and not the best part of town, if you're ever realy stuck for a cab you can stand outside Connolly Station and you'll meet the taxis coming back from the northside.

Works for me everytime but it's the wrong side of city for the OP

micmclo wrote:
    While it's a bit of trek and not the best part of town, if you're ever realy stuck for a cab you can stand outside Connolly Station and you'll meet the taxis coming back from the northside.

Actually, I'm just thinking about that one. And your right!.

I often pick up there, even after closing time!.

Yea thats a good spot because the taxi driver's aren't passing too many clubs (save Bar Code) on the way back into the city.

And here's something else guys....

If you manage to get a taxi, DON'T TELL THE DRIVER WHERE YOUR GOING UNTIL YOUR SEATED!.

Seriously, unless your drunk, aggressive or dirty the driver is LEGALLY obligied to drive you to your destination unless the distance exceed's 30kgs from the point of hire.

If the driver refuses you, ie "sorry bud, I'm not going that direction" take a note of his/her roofsign number, plus time, date and location and report the fvcker.

Contact information here; http://www.taxiregulator.ie/

The regulator take's complaints very seriously. They also take compliments for a good service seriously too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Seriously, unless your drunk, aggressive or dirty the driver is LEGALLY obligied to drive you to your destination unless the distance exceed's 30kgs from the point of hire.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lol

Oop's!. Thats why you can't eat in taxi's I guess!.

I'm sure its mean't to be Kilometers.

:D

lol

LOL, caught me there!.

Its Kms of course!.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wexford Street.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I walk to pearse street or around merrion square, usually taxis stop and then shout at me because i shouldnt be walking around those areas by myself late to night - works everytime, i have taxi men who have finished for the night stopping and if i am on the northside, i will walk down to the four courts and get a taxi coming back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Junction of Camden Street and Harrington St always good. Other people have copped on to it now though):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

micmclo wrote:

seconded, you are gauranteed to get a taxi outside connolly at any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

night link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Pearse Street has never failed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nick wrote:
    night link.

Fight link?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Nick wrote:
    night link.

Did you read the first post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Paddy Dignam

Dame Street is always good. It's also worth walking onto the quays even though it's bringing you slightly out of your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The 'hitler salute'. You know, frog marching down the road with your arm extended like a Nazi, lol. Although in fairness, its only a certain type of of person who does this and there's a good reason why most drivers won't stop

Wow, and there's me and a million other people sticking our hands out like idiots to hail taxis all our lives. Please tell us the correct way.

To answer the original question: you could dress up as a lone teenage girl in a short skirt. Most taxi drivers seem to think they're in with a good chance with these and will do a u-turn on Dame St. to pick them up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The_B_Man wrote:
    depending on ur mood, u can either walk down dame st towards christ church, or wait at the taxi rank across from where virgin megastore used to be. or else actually try phoning ur local cab company to see if they have anyone nearby. worked a few times for me.

I find that to be one of the worst ranks tbh (and the reason is that most cabs going in that direction get picked up by people who walk from Q bar towards Pearse St. DART station and try to catch one coming back to the city centre... I do that myself from time to time).

If I'm looking to try and get one asap I might head towards Parnell Sq and up to Dorset St., although it's not the best of places to be wandering around when the drunks are loose.

Or else I walk along the quays in the opposite direction that the cars are going in... that can be very hit and miss, though.

The rule of thumb is to figure out the street cabs are coming back into town from (but before they come across a central rank.) Problem is most people have figured that one out nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Get the number for your local Hackney Rank/Office/Base. If town is packed and you can't get a cab ring your Local place ask them have they anything coming back through or near town, arrange a pick up point and they'll pick you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"Some day a real rain will wash the scum from the streets".

Here's the way it works in my experience

1) Taxi Drivers will stop for single women, or groups of women any time anywhere. Presumably in the hopes of being asked in for a bunk-up, or at least having some masturbation material stored away for home time.

2) Taxi Drivers will drive past single males or groups of males hoping to find female fares, unless they're really desperate for a fare (e.g. during the daytime).

3) Taxi Drivers won't stop for people wearing runners. Not realising of course that real scum wear 'smart casual' of a saturday night.

4) Taxi Drivers are too lazy to turn off their roof sign. Try hailing a taxi during the daytime and then saying "oh sorry, did I forget to put my arm down", then walk off and see how they like it.

If you live in Ranelagh / Rathmines then walk - its only 20 minutes and you could wait 40-45 for a taxi, only to have the pleasure of having to spend 15 minutes inhaling BO and having to listen to leery/racist comments while being deafened by the Adrian Kennedy phone show.

If you live too far from town to walk, get a bike and some lights. Anything is better than taxis / public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

magpie wrote:
    4) Taxi Drivers are too lazy to turn off their roof sign. Try hailing a taxi during the daytime and then saying "oh sorry, did I forget to put my arm down", then walk off and see how they like it.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If the driver refuses you, ie "sorry bud, I'm not going that direction" take a note of his/her roofsign number, plus time, date and location and report the fvcker.

Contact information here; http://www.taxiregulator.ie/

The regulator take's complaints very seriously. They also take compliments for a good service seriously too ;)

Thanks for that info, DK...

Drivers have given me hassle a few times when I asked for a Houston station to Saggart fare and I didn't know what to do.

One guy just said "no" and another one guy even insisted recently that it would be a 'set fare' :(

OP - walking out of town (and off the beaten track) is indeed the best bet. I walk up Thomas street or even along the north quays and usually get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I've always found the best place to get a taxi late at night is around Parliament St. and the end of Dame St.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote:
    Thanks for that info, DK...

Drivers have given me hassle a few times when I asked for a Houston station to Saggart fare and I didn't know what to do.

One guy just said "no" and another one guy even insisted recently that it would be a 'set fare' :(

OP - walking out of town (and off the beaten track) is indeed the best bet. I walk up Thomas street or even along the north quays and usually get something.

'Set fares' are legal, once agreed upon by both driver and hirer. But whats not legal is the driver giving that as an only option.

For example, I've often had people say "can you take me as far as €10 will bring me, I've only that amount". Once they're not going to Cork I'll bring them all the way home and leave them with a Euro. I wouldn't take anyone's last penny. This usually happens after a lad has left the girlfriend home and was too embarressed to let her know he's smashed.

Whenever someone approaches me at a rank and asks "how much would it be to blah, blah, blah...?". I NEVER give them a price, because I risk making a lier of myself if I'm wrong.

I'll try answer some Q's here in the thread.

Stopping for lone females. I almost always try stop for a lone female. I've a sister, and a wife and daughter and I'd appricate knowing that Taxi driver's are going to take them off lonely streets. Another thing, recently the Taxi unions and company's put driver's aware of a number of sex attacks on females in the Renelagh area and asked them to try take lone females or groups home safe, most I know assisted.

People wearing runner's. That was a laugh, jesus, if people are going to make up lies try a little harder to have us believe them. :rolleyes:

Turning off roofsigns. These days most roofsigns are operated by the meter, ie if the meter is 'FOR HIRE' the roofsign stay lighting. But where this is a pain in the ass is when the driver is on a call (ie I've taken a job off the radio). I can't start the meter until I've either made contact with the fare, or I've arrived at the appointed time. So until then the roofsign stay's on and there's not a thing the driver can do about that.

As for passing by people, there's a host of reason's for this. And here's the one no one likes to think about... We all, not just taxi drivers, everyone makes judgement on other's, agreed?. Well some people just look like assholes and I'd rather not take the chance and get stuck with them. So 'if in doubt, keep them out'.

Advertisement