Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus or Renault Laguna

Options
  • 20-07-2007 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm driving a 99D Seat Cordoba which I've had for the last 5 years. I've decided to trade up a couple of years, maybe 02 or 03. After some research on the web I've narrowed it down to either a focus or a laguna. I know the foucs is very reliable and parts are cheap to come by if needed, I don't know much about the Laguna except that its roomy enough in the back to take three childrens seats (........which I need ..... ), I'm resisting the idea of an MPV.
    Any thoughts or opinions on either of these cars or is there something else out there I haven't thought about yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i assume the laguna is better put together than the megane ??
    if not ,then the focus wins by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Agree with both above, electrically and mechanically the Laguna is not the best about. The Focus will be the better long term proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BIRDCAGE wrote:
    roomy enough in the back to take three childrens seats (........which I need ..... )

I doubt three childrens seats will fit in the back of a Focus. Whatever you are buying, bring the seats with you and make absolutely sure they fit before buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As Unkel says you will not fit 3 booster seats in the Focus. The Laguna is in the same class as the Mondeo so maybe you should check out the Mondeo. Used Mondeos are cheap due to harsh depreciation and make good second hand buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just search the word "Laguna" here for an idea of what people think. Agree on the Mondeo, very good value - Avoid LX models unless you're a Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

I know a couple who have a laguna and a mondeo... they are trying to get rid of the laguna and are looking into buying a new second mondeo. Take from that what you will...

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BIRDCAGE

Thanks for all the advise. I kinda had an idea that the Laguna may not be the best way to go...... but I was given the opportunity to pick up a 02 laguna the other day for 5,500 which I thought was a good buy...........good job I decided not to jump in just because of the price.

The Mondeo sounds like a good idea as well........

Anyone want to buy a 99D Cordoba?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have had 3 Renaults. My first 2 were brand new Clios. First one in 01 was great, then the newer Dynamique model in 02 was a great car but suffered electrical computer glitches all the time.
    I currently have a 02 Scenic Dynamique auto. Its slow, even for an auto... but its a great car. I do not drive it much, only on weekends but i have never had a problem and for kids (i do not even have any) its the best thing since sliced bread. The space in the back is phenominal. And its not even a very big car! Its shorter than the Primera i had before.

I think its hit and miss with Renault. Some are grand and some are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Saruman, why drive a scenic when you don't have kids? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

BIRDCAGE wrote:
    but I was given the opportunity to pick up a 02 laguna the other day for 5,500 which I thought was a good buy
    I was at a car auction in January.. 4 Lagunas, all '02, came up, and not one made more than 4,000.

As an alternative, the '01-'05 5-door Civic might take 3 child seats in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mondeo FTW, a great car and will always sell when you're finished with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Ford all the way. Laguna lost a lot of confidence in the last few years.
    The first model (94) was a great car, but after that they went a bit OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BIRDCAGE

Decision made, I bought a 02 Focus Estate today for 9K with a 1k trade-in for the cordoba (not a great trade in but I didn't fancy the hassle of trying to sell it privately).
    I know I won't get 3 car seats in the back, but shouldn't be a problem just yet, we have 2 kids under 4 ........ and plan to complete the family by next year (hopefully!!!!), I was trying to plan ahead a bit but when the wife show the estate I knew the decision had been made for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Yeah, women have a very strong mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stephen wrote:
    Saruman, why drive a scenic when you don't have kids? ;)

Well that would be because my wife is American and cant drive manual. So she had to have an automatic. So i was pretty much forced to get rid if my Primera (no monety owed) and spend money i did not need to on an automatic. And she loved the scenic. :D
    The killer is, even though its automatic, she still will not drive it as she cant get over being on the other side of the car :rolleyes:

Anyway i do love the car myself.

I drive a Santa Fé commercial during the week though so i rarely drive the scenic.

Advertisement