Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving other cars-insurance cover

Options
  • 20-07-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I have my own insurance with my daughter as name driver. She is buying a car soon but will not be insuring it until after her birthday - 5 weeks.
    As part of my insurance I am covered to drive other cars not registered in my name So the question is if car is registered in daughters name can I drive it under my insurance even though there will be no insurance disc on it!
    Hope I'm making sense!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Depends on your Insurance company and your level of cover with them. Most companies allow you to drive other cars you do not own with Third party cover only if you have a comprehensive policy with them. I have heard some that do this on a TPFT policy too but thats rarer.

Some insist the other car is taxed, NCT'ed and insured by another party, other simply that it be roadworthy and others somewhere between the 2 extremes.

Next problem is....i take it you intend to drive this new car while your daughter drives the current one ? If so thats probably not on. Usually the insurance disk problem is solved by using your current disk temporarily on the other car. Not showing it will be illegal as you are supposed to display one, driving both cars is possibly not going to be covered under your policy either as they may only insure one at a time.

Bottom line, check with your insurance company. Driving both at the same time is likely to be a no no though and it would be better to find out this before you have to make a claim than after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Yes would be the answer
    Unless it states in your insurance policy that the car has to be insured. ( I know Quinn have this on there policys)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Most companies would insist the car is insured by someone else if it is a standard policy. There is only one way to find out for sure and its not by posting on boards. Read your policy! don't take someones word that you are / not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

give them a ring and they'll very quickly be able to tell you what the story is with it.

Advertisement