Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compressing PDFs

• 20-07-2007 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I use ABBYY Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint to scan documents which converts them into pdfs but when I email them , they are big files. How do you reduce the size of the files ? Is there any other program available that will do the job particularly if I were to want to use them to be downloaded on a website ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

PDFs are already compressed, there's not much more you can do to them.

The problem (I'm guessing) you're having is that the PDFs are just made up of images of the scan you made. You should try running OCR software on the scan to convert it to text, then convert that text into PDF, resulting in a much smaller size, though OCR doesn't always act with any form of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Say I wanted to have a download section on my plumbing website which contained pdf brochures for say showers. When someone downloads the brochure I want to ensure that it is my company stamp on the "stockist" section. Therefore i want to upload the brochure with my details on the pdf.
    The size of the new pdf file would be massive.

A simple example: Imagine downloading this one page file from CRO:

http://www.cro.ie/_uploads/downloads/G1.pdf

the size of this pdf is only 7KB and quality is magnicient even when viewed at 400%.

(1) If I scan a printed version of the same page at say 200dpi & in black and white, the size is 10KB but quality is very poor. (attachment g1 sample.pdf below)

(2) The same document saved at 300dpi and as a colour document is a massive 380KB.Quality not bad but very big file size. (too big to attach)

A full brochure doing the same thing would be massive.

How are the original pdfs so much smaller in size ?

Would other OCR software be more suitable . Going back to suppliers of original pdf to overprint with my logo and have them mail to me could be another option ?

Any suggestions ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What you want to do is to EDIT the pdf, not scan it.

check the protection settings on it - if you can extract text and images you could recreate it and then add in your logo and convert to pdf again

if you have office 2003 or later print the original pdf to the microsoft document imaging then open the .mdi or .tiff file and use OCR to send the text to word, with luck it will contain the images , then add your logo and convert back to pdf with the acrobat printer. Or use pdfcreator on sourceforge to set up a print to file option.

Advertisement