Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Safety (not trying to be killed when its dark)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

More than enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you could have some reflective stripes, it would help. They are cheap and really good. Just on your ankles is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Fluorescent green hair dye can be helpful too, if you're not wearing a helmet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ThOnda wrote:
    If you could have some reflective stripes, it would help. They are cheap and really good. Just on your ankles is more than enough.

I tie these to my bag so I'm think I'm covered
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360011890&N=Respro%20Hi%20Viz%20Star%20Hang%20Tags
    :)

What I have is prob abit overkill now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

To my mind, the most important safety feature I have is neither my helmet nor my lights but my visi-vest. Instead of being just another blur in the undifferentiated periphery of a driver's vision, I become an object of his conscious attention.

(It's also the thing I most resent having to wear. Shame, that.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Get some of these!...Ah go on. I like the fact that you can program your own messages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

under seat lights aren't much good from the side since your legs can get in the way and it's from the side the main risk is

reflective strips on your legs are well worth it, nothing signifies "cyclist" to motorists than the leg movement

I know someone who had a large battery in a water bottle, connected to a strobe light for use down the country. when he heard a car he turned it on and it flashed about twice a second, blue flashes , he reckoned motorists would slow down before they saw him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Further point I must add.

I drove home from the City Centre last night at around 2 o' clock... I encountered 5 cyclists on the road from Bus Eireann depot to around Donneycarney. I couldn't believe that 4 out of the 5 had no lights, nothing to show they were even on the road.

They must be off their heads or just plain stupid. Looked like they were coming home from work as they had bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

dalk wrote:
    Get some of these!...Ah go on. I like the fact that you can program your own messages.

Have you got them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

under seat lights aren't much good from the side since your legs can get in the way and it's from the side the main risk is

My seat post has plenty of room so legs won't be going anywhere near my main back light, I'm fully aware of the dangers from the sides and hence the small flashing lights attached to the bars at the back, should ensure I'm seen like a christmas tree :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have a reflective helmet band (up high so no obstructions) and a hi-viz backpack cover (hi-viz day and night). These are the passive items I wear year-round.
    For night cycling I have the Cateye EL-530 on the front and the Cateye TL-LD1100 on the back (it has side LEDs too). My overshoes have a nice vertical reflective strip on the heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I had a Smart 1/2 watt LED on the back. It is scarily bright, you can't look at it. Many people think it equals daymobrew's Cateye but at a fraction of the price. I have it on the back of my rack so nothing gets in its way.

Drawbacks: battery life isn't great (15/30hr - I use rechargeables) and rain can tend to affect the mode switching. I have lost my current one after a year/9,000km on the bike and will be getting another.

Advertisement