Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden DIY - Costs - everyone please look

Options
  • 20-07-2007 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

my mother has decided that she wants me to transform her garden and has the idea of paving cobble and using timber for some form of decking and wants to know roughly the costs of these materials

i was thinking that timber will range between 40 - 70 euro per square metre and was wondering the cost of cobble or paving slabs. i know i could ring up loads of places but my time is in short supply and don't know whether i'd be getting a good deal or bad deal.

so i would be really grate if anyone has bought bricks, slabs, timber or those railway sleepers if you could just tell me how much you paid for what you got it would help me so much in informing her of the price.

anything at all would be agreat help thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

Hi,

If you can tell me the size of the decking and the lenght of railing if any then I would be able to tell you how much you would need to spend,

If you deck is going to be about 20 sq m you would pay max 800 - 900 for the timbers. But make sure you order about 2 sq m more than you need to compensate for off cuts and waste.

Also depending on the brick paving you are talking anywhere from 17e per square Meter to 28 per Sqm.

You also have to make sure you have enough hardcore, that would cost at most about 70e per ton if you are buying in the ton bags. You can expect to pay about the same for sand, maybe a little less.

Anyway, post the measurement and I can tell you more precisely what it could cost you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭observer

thanks alot man will do the sums tonight and post in the morning. very much appreciated

deck is 20m2 and i was thinking of a quality hardwood - oak or teak? probably very dear.

paving is 24m2 and will be perphaps cobble stone or flat slab paving.

any idea how much railway sleepers cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

The old railway sleepers usually cost 30e or more each. You can get what are being referred to as "new sleepers" but they will not last the same as the original big old ones and don't look as nice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

Hi,

Shop around for the hardcore, I was quoted 50e/ton from roadstone, ended up getting it for 9euro/ton from a local guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The old railway sleepers usually cost 30e or more each. You can get what are being referred to as "new sleepers" but they will not last the same as the original big old ones and don't look as nice either.

You're hardly referring to Pressure Treated (typically 25 year warranty on this proven wood preservative) Scandinavian/Baltic Sleepers, which being new timbers (from replenishable sources) are clean, straight, and free of holes, cracks, nails, creosote, oils and other crap. Measuring 8' (2400mm) x 9" (225mm) x 4" (100mm), they are easier to lift and cost less than railway sleepers.

I could post some pics but perhaps someone else better.

For quality, price and environment choose a pine sleeper!

Disagree Sonnenblumen the original are still the best!

yea please post a pic

attached:

Still think the original old sleepers look better. My opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

eoinhealy wrote:

Also depending on the brick paving you are talking anywhere from 17e per square Meter to 28 per Sqm.

.......... and the rest, i paid €49sqm for tobermore pavers last month, you get what you pay for at the end of the day.......

observer wrote:
    deck is 20m2 and i was thinking of a quality hardwood - oak or teak? probably very dear.

paving is 24m2 and will be perphaps cobble stone or flat slab paving.

any idea how much railway sleepers cost?

The hardwood timber could cost anywhere up to 1,500. Thats the most expensive it would be, but could cost less. I'm just letting you know the maximum you could have to spend.

The Paving would cost anywhere from 500 to 800 depending on what you get.

As for railway sleepers, it depends on what type you get. Could pay from 25 to 35 per sleeper. If you are buying more than 15 or so you will probably get a better deal.

Anyway, these prices are worst case, probably wont come to them amounts at all but no harm in being prepared. Shop around. Ask for discounts or trade prices.

oleras wrote:
    .......... and the rest, i paid €49sqm for tobermore pavers last month, you get what you pay for at the end of the day.......

I have never paid anything like that with tobermore. Then again, I get trade prices. What type of paving was it? Slabs or Bricks? If you have a VAT number or know someone with one you dont have to pay the VAT because they are shipped from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is not safe to use railway sleepers anywhere people (particularly children) will come into contact with them.

eoinhealy wrote:
    I have never paid anything like that with tobermore. Then again, I get trade prices. What type of paving was it? Slabs or Bricks? If you have a VAT number or know someone with one you dont have to pay the VAT because they are shipped from the north.

that's fraud and Mr VATMan will probably have noted your gem!:eek:

eoinhealy wrote:

It was the tegula range. Heather with the golden soldier course.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

that's fraud and Mr VATMan will probably have noted your gem!:eek:
    I'll second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

That seems very expensive. Although I didn't price the Tobermore stuff, the equivalent from Acheson & Glover and Finlay Bretton was coming in under €30/m. Granted the tobermore stuff looks the best IMO but I didn't think they would be that expensive. Did you but direct from Tobermore or from a garden/patio centre?

squire1 wrote:
    That seems very expensive. Although I didn't price the Tobermore stuff, the equivalent from Acheson & Glover and Finlay Bretton was coming in under €30/m. Granted the tobermore stuff looks the best IMO but I didn't think they would be that expensive. Did you but direct from Tobermore or from a garden/patio centre?

Direct from Tobermore in Derry. Guy had some job turning his truck when he finished, i dont exactly live on a main road.....lol..... but as you say they really look the best. Only going to do it once so may as well do it right. They also supplied about 15m of the "natural stone" walling. Patio area is nearly 100sqm.

Advertisement