Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help!

• 20-07-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

im 18being living in dub since dec and i still aint got no job, i havent any experience went to fas and applied to loads of places but still unemployed,getting really depressed over this crying all the time ihate it, but i cant forse people to give me work, also dus anyone no where i cant do my maths again without having to go back to school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

hi,

sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what formal qualifications do you have? It is really hard to get into any trainee positions through fas or any company without the bare minimum leaving cert.

the standard of education has risen so high the even the leaving cert is becoming worthless on its own. If you have a decent junior cert you could start looking at becoming an apprentice hairdresser, chef? To be be honest your only 18 if you can id get a part time job and go back and do my leaving. hope you get a break. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I was in the same situation few months ago, spent ages looking for work but didn't have enough experience in my field, so I did a Job Seeking Course (I think FAS do one) and approximately 30 minutes after the final class I got a job offer (the course organiser actually found the job for me - it was hidden away in a local newspaper and I would never have found it had I not taken the course and its a very good job) which I am working at currently.

The course was pretty useful, pointed out the right places to look for work, how to approach applying for jobs, how to prepare for interviews etc. Don't get too downhearted, once you get the first job under your belt and a bit of experience it gets easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

What kind of work are you looking for? What kind of jobs have you applied for so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i applied for supermarkets, office jobs, iv worked in dunnes stores but didnt work my notice! and ive worked caring for elderly in a home. iv applied for a computers course and a childcare course, its just living in dublin is soo expensive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Print out your CV and walk up and down Grafton Street, Henry Street, Dundrum Shopping Centre, Ilac, everywhere and hand in a copy to each and every shop. Thats what my sister did and she found a job.

As for your Leaving Cert, check out your local colleges, schools. Get onto www.nightcourses.ie (I think thats the link) and search for a Maths leaving course. You should be able to do it at night.

Failing that, ring your school and see if you can register to repeat the exam in their premises and do the study by yourself.

Good luck OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Try any of the online job sites. Hell, even lidl do an online application.

One important thing though, before you send off your CV or covering letter. Get it properly spellchecked and ensure the grammar and punctuation are correct.

Get someone to read it through and check the presentation.

It is not meant to be a critiscism or cruel, just realistic, but by your posts getting the cv given the once over would be a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

here is the leaving cert maths course

http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course.php?courseid=48

its difficult to get a part time job these days because most foreigners will work the extra hours for less pay.

try bar work.
    hotels can regularily need more staff, especially around now as students go back to college.

do drop your cv into shops on grafton street, in an envelope. go to recruitment agencies.

have you worked anywhere before?

Advertisement