Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of getting a tattoo???

Options
  • 20-07-2007 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Is it worth getting a tattoo or do you regret it after awhile? cuz i want one but not sure at the same time. Is it better to get it somewhere were u can't c it all the time??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Why do you want one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

If you having 2nd thoughts about it then dont get it.

Going in to a Tattoo artist and getting a tattoo and have the mentallity that "I can always laser it away" is not the way to do it.

Be sure on what you want, get it in a place that feels most comfortable for you if its your first time.
    The more you get tattoed the more you will know where you want them placed.

This is just my €0.02 and Im sure other members will have a different view :)

I thought a good few years before i got decided for my first one.. then it only took 4 months to the 2nd one! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 goldielocks05

tanx 4 ye reply! but is it sore?? cuz me and needles don't go that well together, and where on yr body did u get yrs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs666

tanx 4 ye reply! but is it sore?? cuz me and needles don't go that well together, and where on yr body did u get yrs??

yes its sore, ive got my right calf done, my upper back and 3/4 of my left arm done and they all hurt, but, if you love tattoos and really want what your getting then its definately worth sitting for! ive no regrets with any of mine and im up for getting more too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

itz dedli cuz u haf a peese of art on ur bdy 4 lyfe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Yes it's sore, and depending on where you get it it may even be extremely sore. If you're not 150% positive you want one then don't get one, but if you are sure about it then you shouldn't let the pain put you off. It's well worth it in the end.

The needles are very small and don't look like regular needles, so as long as you don't look at them and go in with the right mindset your fear of needles shouldn't come into it. If you're still afraid, it helps to repeat to yourself "it's just a paintbrush", and really try to believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭angelicsaz

jus do itttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!! lifes about fun and adventure.......................................................and sponta(duuno how to spell the rest of the word)
    got mine ona monday.... horribley hungover... had some spare moola... and yeah was sittin on the 39 an hour later laughin to myslef.
    i have a pink sticklady on the back of my neck, the worst part was the dry shaving of my neck *SHIVER*
    i suppose it depends tho.......

DO IT>>>>> :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

I dont think you should get it,sounds like you just want us to turn around and say "Ye defo do and its not sore at all",If your not sure jst wait.I wanted one for ages but was never sure,but once you know what you really want,u dont care if its gonna hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Without naming names in this thread we have some classic examples of why sometimes I don't like tattooing and like keeping mine covered so I'm not associated with muppets who get tattoos for the sake of it or i was hungover.

It really does get to me, I spend a lot of time trying to get quality artwork of a high standard that follows the shape and flow of my body in a complementary way, then I get people coming up to me "oh you have a tattoo, Me too" Random person flashes some sh1t piece of flash i've seen in 40 different parlours. I'm not the same as you its the same as going to a gallery with a drawing your four year old* has done and asking if you can disply it. I feel sorry for the piece of paper it could of been so much more but now its ruined. It just really gets to me some how that I get compared and placed in the same category as these muppets.

*I would like to say I know some four year olds who can draw a hell of a lot better then some of the crap pieces of flash I've seen done[/rant]

So to sum up yeah get the tattoo it help me idenify you as someone to avoid in future

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

heh, was talking about something similar to this with a mate recently, he reckons tattoos to different people can be art, decoration, fashion, self-defecation, a personal reminder, or... dammit... there were about 3 more... but yeah, im seeing your point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Without naming names in this thread we have some classic examples of why sometimes I don't like tattooing and like keeping mine covered so I'm not associated with muppets who get tattoos for the sake of it or i was hungover.

It really does get to me, I spend a lot of time trying to get quality artwork of a high standard that follows the shape and flow of my body in a complementary way, then I get people coming up to me "oh you have a tattoo, Me too" Random person flashes some sh1t piece of flash i've seen in 40 different parlours. I'm not the same as you its the same as going to a gallery with a drawing your four year old* has done and asking if you can disply it. I feel sorry for the piece of paper it could of been so much more but now its ruined. It just really gets to me some how that I get compared and placed in the same category as these muppets.

*I would like to say I know some four year olds who can draw a hell of a lot better then some of the crap pieces of flash I've seen done[/rant]

So to sum up yeah get the tattoo it help me idenify you as someone to avoid in future

out of curiosity where would you recommend getting "quality artwork of a high standard" done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Can I just take a moment to say that I think I love you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

narco wrote:
    self-defecation

I really hope not, shítting themselves? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i totally knew that was the wrong word...

defacing themselves... self defACEacation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

stick with "defacing themselves" or "self destruction" or something along those lines.

gline wrote:
    out of curiosity where would you recommend getting "quality artwork of a high standard" done?

Depends compltely on the type of work you want done I reccomend different artists based on what type of work I know they do well

Gauge wrote:
    Can I just take a moment to say that I think I love you?

I hope you're female ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Gauge is a lady.
    I am thinking long and hard about my next tattoo. I am a fan of some of the dot work Xed le head(sp?) does, along with a few artists emmet showed me. Some really great artists out there.

Depends compltely on the type of work you want done I reccomend different artists based on what type of work I know they do well

im looking at getting something similar to this

http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/rate_my_tattoo/tattoos/tattoo/act/126031912779.jpg

who would you recommend in dublin for this type of work??

Debbie would be good for it, not sure where she is working now. Also the guy who isn't Dim in snake bite can't remember his name off the top of my head does very nice black and grey. Justin in snake bite also

• Advertisement

Debbie would be good for it, not sure where she is working now. Also the guy who isn't Dim in snake bite can't remember his name off the top of my head does very nice black and grey. Justin in snake bite also

thanks... yeh im not looking to get any colour stuff done, just black or grey would be all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Goldie, I have been thinking about getting one done since I was 17, at 25 I just got my first one. It's a celtic band on my arm. It's a big decision alright and no one can say if you'll still like it in 10, 20 or 30 years. My advice is dont tell people your doing it just do it, there's always someone who will try to dissuade you.

It wasn't as sore as I thought it was going to be. It's a weird sensation where the needle is but as soon as it passes on to the next point the pain goes away...if you get me. Although I will admit when he got to the soft flesh on my inner arm I started to sweat alright. The outline was worse imo.
    That said I can imagine it to be a little more sore for a girl as they tend to be softer. So in summary it's sore but bearable sure it'll put hairs on your chest ;)

Personally I found the itchyness the week after the worst. I would gone at it with a bit of sandpaper if I could :)

ha ha :D well said!! i hate flash, thats why all my works custom :D its sickening to see the same ****ty piece of flash on so many people... really destroys tattooing as an art form and turns it into a stencil factory...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Personally I'm not a fan of flash simply because you're just getting some doodle that in reality means nothing to you and the majority of people seem to get flash work done just for the sake of being able to say that they have a tattoo. Seems the definition of being a sheep to me, even got your farmer's mark dyed on.:rolleyes:
    Custom work FTW (have 5 bits of custom work done so far and no regrets).

OK..... please note i am not a muppet. i didnt jus get it coz i was hungover.
    I was hungover, with spare cash...... i had thought bout it for about 2 years, knew excatly what I was gettin done (my grandad used to make me cards with stickladys on them every year for my birthday) my granny was dying so i wanted her to see it b4 she died. I know a guy who doz tatoos, he was free on the day.... so there ya go.
    thank you.

the point i was tryin to make was... JUST DO IT...... if ya think too much about it you'll think urslef out of it. so what if you regret it ina while, its life. fun, adventure, expeirence.

So basically in your first post where you say:
    jus do itttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!! lifes about fun and adventure.......................................................and sponta(duuno how to spell the rest of the word)

You were just trying to lead the op into something you wouldn't do yourself seeing as you spent two years thinking about it. Ok so you mightn't be a muppet on getting tattooed for the sake of it front, but you still scoring highly on the attention grabbing muppetry meter for trying to make yourself seem cooler then you are

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

I know I posted a flash picture in my thread but it was just to give an idea of what I wanted as I cant draw myself so thought it would be easier for the artist if he had something to work on. Ive wanted to get a tattoo for years and dont want one because I think they are "cool" . its just I think now is the right time for me as Im older and thoguth about it a lot and I still really love them and want one.

by all means take a piece of flash to the artist and show the style etc you are interested in, this shows you are putting thought into what you want, flash can be a good reference point to further develop an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

gline wrote:
    im looking at getting something similar to this

http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/rate_my_tattoo/tattoos/tattoo/act/126031912779.jpg

who would you recommend in dublin for this type of work??

Mariusz in Snakebite

His speciality is bio-mech stuff, and his black/grey work is excellent.

• Advertisement

thanks for the saturday morning laugh......

2 years thinkin about it coz i was 16.

Advertisement