Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rig, no power

Options
  • 21-07-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi lads, just got my kit today from komplett, set it all up (had to temporarily remove the heat sync from MOBO chipset as the cpu fan wouldnt fit otherwise) all is set up but there is no power whatsoever, nothing, ive rejigged things about 4 times now and still nothing, what is the usual cause for this? or any ideas would be appreciated! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Might as well start at the beginning

1. The kettle lead is plugged into the wall.
    2. The Wall socket works and is switched on. (Test something else in it if in doubt)
    3. The Kettle lead works. (Plug it into the monitor to check if unsure)
    4. The on / off switch on the PSU is on.
    5. The PSU is correctly plugged into the mobo, usually 2 PSU to Mobo connections one big (24pin) one small (4pin) (Pin numbers may be wrong just going from top of my head)
    6. The Headers from the case to the motherboard are correctly attached. There are usually 4 leads from the Case to the Mobo - PWR LED, HDD LED, PWR Switch, Reset Switch.

If all the above are correct you should at least see some signs of life, if not then the PSU could be borked. At this stage check the PSU in another system / try a different PSU in your system. That would rule that out or in, then next up you would have to check the mobo.

I bought a Seasonic (Great PSU's have one today) about 2 years ago and it was dead out of the box.

Inqui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

might be a short, power up the board outside the chassis with just the CPU, GFX and one stick of ram.

Advertisement