Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shaving

• 21-07-2007 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Right, I seriously hate doing this. I'm 16 right now and have to shave every 2nd day. You could practically smooth down wood with my face. I started shaving when I was 12! and 4 years later, its driving me insane. Sorry lads its something I wanted to get off my chest for ages :o

Comments

Grow a beard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

creggy wrote:
    Right, I seriously hate doing this. I'm 16 right now and have to shave every 2nd day. You could practically smooth down wood with my face. I started shaving when I was 12! and 4 years later, its driving me insane. Sorry lads its something I wanted to get off my chest for ages :o

I'm confused - do you want to get it off your face or your chest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

id have beaten you if my internet went faster tonight...

grow that beard!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

creggy wrote:
    Sorry lads its something I wanted to get off my chest for ages :o

You should have stuck it in the "Get it of your chest part 2" thread then.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054996356

Growing a beard is the only way to avoid the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

when i saw that title I was hoping op was female

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Could be a female.

2 stroke wrote:
    Could be a female.
    shudders:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

mawk wrote:
    id have beaten you if my internet went faster tonight...

grow that beard!!

Well Ive tried sort of but i gets very itchy also when I wear a shirt, the collar rubs off it which sort of pinches it. very annoying both ways

Like every other man you will just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

mukki wrote:
    when i saw that title I was hoping op was female

Women dont have beards to shave, silly.

Ohh....my mistake. :o

• Advertisement

Well the way I see it, Im growing up way too fast and I cant keep up with it!

Do you 16 year old with a full on hairy chest...I do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Lads have it easy.

Lads have it easy.

True men have it easier I everyway, but still you can cover you legs, I cant cover my face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yeah we just gotta shave our faces (if we feel like it), women gotta shave almost all over ;)

I guess im lucky. I can grow whatever i feels like but im not overly burdened with shaving every day (only every 2nd day if i wanna keep it fairly smooth). I can't complain :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

creggy wrote:
    True men have it easier I everyway, but still you can cover you legs, I cant cover my face!
    Want to borrow my Phantom of the Opera DVD?

Angel of music ehh??

that dude scares me!

Phantom Gerard Butler plays his part well behind the mask. Oh, did he only have to shave half his face? Ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

creggy wrote:
    I feel your pain , same ages and stuff Ican usually go a week without shaving until the itching drives me mad so now im just going to leave it grow and see what happens(heard the mad itching stops)

but seriously, methinks you should grow that beard already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Irish Wolf wrote:
    I'm confused - do you want to get it off your face or your chest?

lol

I'm 22, almost 23 and I need to shave once a week at most. Life is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Zillah wrote:
    lol

Quotin' dis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

OP, I can feel your pain (and itchiness). Started shaving a week before my 13th birthday and to this day (now 22), I hate having to shave. Back in school, I was the envy of everyone because i could grow proper sideburns. Oh, the innocence :o

By the way, by shaving do you mean an electric shave or wet shave? If all you do is wet shave, then stop and buy a good electric shaver. Dunno about you, but I got my own shaving pattern; Wet shave, don't shave the next day, electric shave, electric shave, electric shave, leave it a day, wet shave, rinse and repeat (pun intended). Just try out whatever so that it suits your skins sensitivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

creggy wrote:
    Ahh, the innocence.

31 and only need to shave once a week.
    In your face.

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i only shave once a week but thats due to the fact i`m a lazy bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

post a pic of your stubble and let us decide should you be allowed to grow a beard
    beard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

OP, I can feel your pain (and itchiness). Started shaving a week before my 13th birthday and to this day (now 22), I hate having to shave. Back in school, I was the envy of everyone because i could grow proper sideburns. Oh, the innocence :o

By the way, by shaving do you mean an electric shave or wet shave? If all you do is wet shave, then stop and buy a good electric shaver. Dunno about you, but I got my own shaving pattern; Wet shave, don't shave the next day, electric shave, electric shave, electric shave, leave it a day, wet shave, rinse and repeat (pun intended). Just try out whatever so that it suits your skins sensitivity.

Yup im the same, was the 1st person in my year to have facial hair. People said to me they would pay me to grow it for a few weeks. Dont know why I didnt take them up on the offer.

Not sure when I started shaving but I know I was about 13/14 and it was my sideburns that started growing 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Are you using a disposable razor/gilette or an electric? A razor will naturally take a LOT more time, and usually you get more pain as you're always re-shaving the fresh bits. If not, get an electric razor. You'll find them a lot easier, and pain free.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Johnny Meagher

Most men shave everyday, no? I shave in the shower so it's just part of the shower. good too as it softens the bristles, otherwise wash your face first with fairly hot water. using a good quality razor and foam/gel is an absolute must, do your face a favour and just pay for it! try something like Nivea Aftershave Balm is your skin is irritated. a really close shave will have you going first with the grain and then shave again, against the grain, might get 3 days that way, unless your skin is too sensitive. electric razors are expensive for a good one and I don't find them anywhere near as good as a blade. makes sh*t of my skin too. hey! chill out, shaving is the only thing we do and we don't even have to! :)

edit: just remembered something I overhead on the bus re beards (I've had a few) , "god, wouldn't touch him, he's got pubes on his face!" :D

I wetshave but I'm gonna do it after a shower from now on, after reading others peoples posts. I did use an electric shaver at one stage, but i find them useless.

and growing a beard is simply out of the question :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: Make sure you always wet your face with hot water before you shave. As mentioned earlier it is best that you shave your face after a hot shower. Hot water damages the lining on the hair making it weaker thus easier to shave.

Also it is a good idea to use conditioner (cheapo conditioner is fine) on your stubble as you would your head (preferably at the start of the shower) so as to soften the stubble even more before you rinse it off at the end of the shower.

Next get yourself a good shaving brush (silver tip badger brushes are the best but most badger brushes will do) and some decent shaving cream like Proraso or Trumper shaving cream. Im not sure if you can buy them in shops in Ireland but you can get them off the net handy enough.

Its just as much about what you do before a blade touches your skin as it is about how you shave.

A barber will even go as far as to wash your stubble with hot water then apply shaving cream lather (with a badger brush) then massage the lather into the stubble with the tips of his/her fingers then then will get a hot towel and wrap it around the stubble area and leave it for 4 or 5 minutes then will use the towel to remove whats on your face (lather, dead skin etc) before re-lathering and starting the shave.

If you wanna get a true great wet shave then I recommend you look into getting yourself a DE Razor like a merkur progress (adjustable) or a Merkur Slant Bar. DE Razors use a single blade which I find a lot better. See badgerandblade.com or [SIZE=-1]shavemyface.com[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] for forums relating to de razors.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Zillah wrote:
    lol

cool a ladyboy, you meet all types here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You sir can go to hell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Hmmm, it'd probably be better to get a cheap enough brush to start off with. There's no point in spending hundreds on a silvertip badger when a cheap boar brush (there's one for €18 at 4men.ie and it's reasonably good) will give a decent starting point. Also if it doesn't work out you've only wasted 18 quid. Ditto the cream, you can buy a tube of proraso from the same source for €8 and proper use of these along with the prep axer mentioned should improve things greatly. if these don't work out well with your regular razor, you can get a cheap DE razor (a plastic wilkinson sword model, €5. The boots own brand one is crap) in most boots stores that works reasonably well, so you don't need to spend €50 on a progress/slant. There's no point in blowing a whole load of cash from the outset if the components don't work for you. Or you could just grow a beard, I remember mine being useful for getting served while underage back in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Don't grow a beard OP. Teenagers with beards are truly unfortunate looking things. A few friends might think it's cool, but the rest of the world will be laughing.
    Better off just embrace the process of shaving, because there's not much else you can do. As mentioned above, Proraso, a brush and a DE razor all help. I have a Merkur Futur, which is adjustable, so you don't cut yourself to ribbons starting off.
    Best advice I can give is hot water, and lots of it. Get a sponge and keep dipping it in really hot water and sponging your face. Apply the lather and then shave, rinsing the blade every stroke or two. Apart from that, you just have to put with it. One of the tradeoffs for the great privilege of being born a male :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 goldielocks05

oh my god just get it waxed off......... you lads complain over f*$"ing nothing us girls go through everything twice as bad.. wat do you's get wet dreams and hard on's in public when your 13.:eek: .. well that all you's get.. yr pain stops at 15 ish while us girls go on untill we are DEAD.. periods- every month till we're about 50ish then menopause till we are dead.. not to mention a baby coming out of us.... shaving is like luxury for god sake........:D :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

oh my god just get it waxed off......... you lads complain over f*$"ing nothing us girls go through everything twice as bad.. wat do you's get wet dreams and hard on's in public when your 13.:eek: .. well that all you's get.. yr pain stops at 15 ish while us girls go on untill we are DEAD.. periods- every month till we're about 50ish then menopause till we are dead.. not to mention a baby coming out of us.... shaving is like luxury for god sake........:D :D:D:D:D:D

.......and we've a permanent headache listening to ye whine about all that!!! :rolleyes:

I hate shaving too, would do it every day only I couldn't be arsed. Every 2nd day and it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Hmmm, always with the childbirth. Bet ya'll secretly love it because you can moan about something else! Anyhoo, I reckon that's nowhere near as painful as the wrong end of the following:
    "what's wrong"?
    "I'm fine!"
    "Balls, what did I do?"
    "nothing I'm fine!"
    "ok so that's grand then"
    "my god you're so insensitive"!
    "what? But I didn't do anything!"
    "exactly"! etc etc....
    Listen to that and you'll want to shave your eyeballs.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement