Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby formula

Options
  • 21-07-2007 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

hi all
    Its still along way off the 13th of jan but i'm going to start collecting stuff for the baby now milk,nappies etc because i've seen that these things are expensive so am going to stock up on them now while i have the money but wanted some advice off you as to which baby formula you think is the best and is it wise to stock up on this or could the baby reject a certain brand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

I wouldn't stock up on formula - my first completely rejected a few brands before settling on one that seemed to agree with her - things are expensive but there are other things you can get in advance - and remember, you will be inundated with presents - lots of folk ask what do you need when they are buying for you and baby so don't forget to be constructive and menetion something off your list of "must-haves" for new baby:)

and good luck -enjoy the pregnancy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

folkswagen is right about the presents, don't be shy; you might as well let people know you'd appreciate a voucher so it can help towards a buggy, cot, carseat etc or mention specific items you'll need like an all-in-one snowsuit for a new baby, etc.

I wouldn't buy any baby formula now at all. The midwives will have all you need in the hospital. The companies give them tonnes of individual feed sample bottles and the midwives will probably be the best people to advise you on what brand will suit your baby best.

Have you considered breast feeding? Even for a few weeks? It really is so good for baby that not to give them any at all is such a shame.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Echoing whats been said, dont buy any more than maybe one box of formula in case your baby decides they dont like it! I also wouldnt buy too many small packs of nappies or 0-3 clothes, your baby could be big, and they grow so fast often they dont wear half of the small stuff you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Also you never know your child could be born lactose intolerant and that requires a different feed again.

Even stocking up on baby wipes may not be possible one of mine was allergic to most of the standard brand and it made her skin all red and inflamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aoife13/01/2008

Thanks will leave it for now then and nearer the time put out a few hints to people.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

All of the above advice is good.

But in relation to formula, here's my experience.

Both of ours, after 2 months being breast fed, went onto Milupa Aptamil. From talking to friends, and from what I've seen myself, the Aptamil First (blue box) is useless. Most babies aren't satisfied with it and will be happier with the purple box - for hungrier babies according to the label. Virtually everyone I know who uses Aptamil dropped the blue stuff quickly. It's possible that the blue (Aptamil First) is good for babies that are formula fed from day one, but I can't comment on that.

Be sure if you do buy early that it won't expire before you get to use it. A couple of the ready-made cartons are a great idea - especially if you are out and about.

Our little lad (6 months atm) is a little savage and will eat anything that is put in front of him (like his daddy :D) so no formula can satisfy him. This dude was on solids at 3.5 months and at that point could eat a whole banana :eek:. So as others have said, it might be best to wait til jnr arrives. So vouchers would be the best option at this point, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Aoife - Why not open a credit union account & stick a few quid a week into it between now & when the baby arrives?

As pervious posters have said - You just never know what the little one is going to like/dislike so buying now could be money down the drain. Your forward planning is admirable, but I think that hard cash is the way to go.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

You could always breastfeed... then your body will do all the stocking for you :-)

Just being funny... not trying to make a point! :-) I'm a man, what do I know! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

crosstownk wrote:
    Both of ours, after 2 months being breast fed, went onto Milupa Aptamil. From talking to friends, and from what I've seen myself, the Aptamil First (blue box) is useless. Most babies aren't satisfied with it and will be happier with the purple box - for hungrier babies according to the label. Virtually everyone I know who uses Aptamil dropped the blue stuff quickly. It's possible that the blue (Aptamil First) is good for babies that are formula fed from day one, but I can't comment on that.

Opposite experience for us. He rejected the Aptamil Second when we we started giving him the odd bottle at six months. He stayed on the Aptamil First stuff until about nine months before going onto the Aptamil Three stuff when the bottle became more of a staple for him. Our GP also recommended to start with the newborn milk initially when introducing the bottle when weaning, some babies find the stronger milk hard to take initially as was the case here.

As for presents, seriously vouchers are the best. You can do the buying later then when you've an idea of what you want rather than having to try and guess beforehand.

Advertisement