Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S60 vs Mondeo vs 3 series vs ???

Options
  • 21-07-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭

In the market to buy a larger saloon in the next four weeks, but I can't decide what to get! I am driving a 3 door '97 1.3ltr Accent at the moment... (yes, I know they eat dogs.. :D, but it never failed me once in last four years (30K miles)! Passes NCT on the first go, every time, nothing needed fixing)!! :)

But, time to move on, and I need something bigger now. I get train to work, so car is just to get to the station, and for the weekends - say about 6k miles a year! Looking for something in 00 to 03, and budget is a around 8k to 9k. A 1.6 or 1.8 engine depending on the size of the car, and it should be reliable and comfortable with good looks, in that order..!

I don't know much about cars (I know they make great remote control toys - thanks to TopGear) - from what I have driven, I thought Corolla and Primera are a but slow and boring. I really liked inside of Volvo S60 (from pics), but read a lot more good things about Mondeo Zetec TCDI's.

'have been trawling thru these threads for a while and noticed Mondeo gets a lot votes but still can't decide... Any comments appreciated..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

The Mondeo is a nice car and all, but it's a bit mass market compared to BMW & Volvo.... ;)

The smallest engine you'll get in an S60 is a 2 litre turbo. It's very comfy and looks good (I've got it's big brother, the S80, so I'm biased :D ). Be prepared for fuel consumption in the low thirties though, and expensive insurance, and paying €500+ notes a year in road tax. I've got the same engine in my S80 and am only seeing 31mpg, even on long runs. On the plus side, 180bhp means it's faster than any mondeo this side of an ST220 and most BMW 3 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Keith K

hi, i have a mondeo 2001. lovely car, i agree that they are everywhere but actually get into one and they are really nice, inside the 3 series is so boring and the volvo S60 is nice (i drove a 2002 loaner one while my mams S40 was getting serviced) but quite dull unless you are getting facelifted model(big big money)
    if you have an ideal budget in mind just go around and see which year you can get for the money. all are too big for small engine so scrap 1.6 idea!

i cant speak much for the other cars really to be honest except mondeo, my advice in mondeo is diesel, dont get tdci unless its 2003 or after(they got rid of teething problems) otherwise the tried, tested and praised zetec tddi, bulletproof and in zetec form its pokier engine than the **** lx model and nicer inside with some having leather(nearly all the volvos have leather though) such as the executive zetec.
    put badges aside and just sit in them(afterall ford owns volvo so badge cant be an issue there)
    more room for a family in mondeo and s60 than 3 series, compare the 3 series to likes of a focus or almera in terms of space
    right im off, rambled enough!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

There are a lot of of SE spec S60's about ('01 - '04), with low mileage, full Service History and so on.
    An '03/'04 will have done most of its depreciation by now, so good value too.

Stretch for the D5 diesel if you want power (185bhp) WITH economy. Its incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks guys, as I mentioned earlier, my budget is around 8K, max 10K. And I agree, I guess I will leave BMWs out of the equation for now...

Hmm, okay, 1.8 to 2.0 it is then. At that size I am thinking diesel. How are diesel engines for quick short runs to the train station (< 2miles, walkable really...)?

I liked S60 for its interior (leather and stuff), but at carzone.ie 01/02 models seems to be dearer than S80 for some strange reason?!

I might have a look at Alfas and Audi A4s as well may be? Also is there ONE place around Dublin where I can try out all sorts of cars, just see in flesh and feel the size, space and compare, like cargiant?

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

positron wrote:
    Hmm, okay, 1.8 to 2.0 it is then. At that size I am thinking diesel

No, no, no! You'd be competing with 90% of the population that want a small engined car that is easy on the fuel. With your low mileage you should look at large petrol engined cars of at least 2.0l. Fuel consumption is not much of an issue. Tax is largely irrelevant compared to total cost of ownership as is insurance if you have a full NCB

Here's the trump card you should play. Forget about BMW 3-series or a Volvo S60. For not a cent more you can have a much better specced same year, same mileage, same condition bigger car. A Mercedes E class would be a bit pricey but how about a fully loaded Volvo S80? Or a yummy 6 cylinder BMW 520? Or take it a step further and get yourself a senior executive car :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you are only doing 6k miles a year fuel comsumption should not really be an issue.
    Getting a diesel just really would not pay back. If you take a car that does 40MPG at 6000 miles it will cost €800 (assume 1.19 cent/litre), a car that does 20MPG will cost €1600, only €800 more. It's only when large yearly mileages come into it do you see differences worthy of paying extra for a diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

If your budget is 10k, then you're loking at either an average mileage 99-01 or a high milage 02 Volvo S80. A lot the S80s on the roads are 2.0t SE spec models, so you get leather seats, air-con, cruise control, and other bits 'n bobs. Most of them will have phone car kits fitted too. The problem with the S80 is that it's very expensive to maintain. These things don't have 1 computer, they have 12 microcontrollers scattered around the car on a network (including one in the rear view mirror). Changing anything remotely electrical requires a trip to a Volvo dealer to get the computers updated at €100+ a time. They are supremely comfortable and cheap to buy 2nd hand, but they are not cheap to maintain.

To be honest, unless you really want a big car (and these things are a bastard to drive around town, and forget about parallel parking it), I'd go for a Mondeo. €10K will get you a nicely equipped 03 TDCi diesel, or a 04 1.8 petrol. I used to have a Focus and took it to my local main dealer for work because they weren't much dearer than the back alley spanner monkeys.

BMWs are poorer value second hand than almost any other brand, so you're looking at a poverty spec '00 318 that's driven around the world a few times for your 10K. Stay away from one unless you're one of the insecure types waving around a BMW key at the bar on a friday night, hoping to pull a certain class of bird. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

OP,

I'd agree with the others here - buying a diesel powered car for the amount of mileage you are doing would be crazy.
    Id vote every time for the Mondeo, I'm on my second one with no problems so far.

This sounds too good to be true but it might be worth a phone call -

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=744890

If that price is correct, thats outrageous value for money!!

Thanks guys, never thought how low mileage takes out the diesel advantae. However, larger engines would be harder to sell later on, wouldn't it?

I like the look of S80 but not sure if its a bit too big a car for me..! I guess I will have to find a garage which has one and see how it feels.

TychoCaine, I have been driving a Hyundai for last four years! Badges? birds? what are you on about?! :D

Gyppo, that looks too good to be true... looks like they have the same car (probably) listed via their own site for 16K! http://olympic.cbg.ie/detail.aspx?ID=1221446

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on how much you're saving now by buying the larger engined model. also bear in mind the gov. may rejig the motor tax system next january, so it may not be based purely on engine size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Id recommend a Mk 2 Ford Mondeo. I have numerous magazines which give them top marks. My 2002 car buyers guide says "it wipes the floor with the opposition", and What car gave it 5/5 star. The other great thing is that the 1.8 petrols (125bhp) are quite cheap. (Around 6k for a 2001 on with 60k on the clock from a garage with warranty.) I was in the the 2.0tdi one (130bhp) and was very impressed with its progress and nimbleness.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the competition in 2002 didn't include the 5 series or the S60.

Thanks for the all the suggestions so far, I am kinda warming up towards s80 now... main reason is the price..! Is it really a barge? Is it really that thirsty and would it breakdown all the time, especially considering my low miles and infrequent long runs..?!

Insurance came back favorable though. TP, Fire & Theft on S80 2.0T - €352! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good friend ran an S80 for 50k miles as a co. car.

No great problems, but the running costs were huge. Apart from the obvious the servicing, tyre wear, and suspension overhauls were horrendously expensive.

I know he used a main stealer, but €1500 for a service?

Car was good though. I drove it on a trip to the UK and it was fantastic on a fast morotway journey.

I know he used a main stealer, but €1500 for a service?

:eek: Don't tell me thats the cost of the regular service every 7.5k - 10k miles! It would be 12 to 18 months before I do 10k, but that is still quite a lot of money!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tyres, suspension bushes, shocks, and a regular service. Big car so tyre wear was quite heavy too.

It was a co. car so he didn't care much about the cost, but the bills were big enough to be mentioned in casual conversation.

That seems reasonable enough, depending on the size / make / model of the tyres. The tyres alone on my car have a RRP of about €1.3k for 4 corners

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Volvo main dealers are notorious for being very expensive regarding servicing and maintenance.

At the end of the day these are high end cars and as such it needs to be noted that they will cost alot more to maintain than your average family saloon.

bazz26 wrote:
    these are high end cars and as such it needs to be noted that they will cost alot more to maintain than your average family saloon.

Especially when they are maintained by the main $tealers

Advertisement