Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

minor accident happened, question of responsibility

Options
  • 21-07-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

yesterday this happened...
    My boyfriend's sister in her car rear ended my sister's boyfriend's van! (they don't know each other, just a small world!)

he was reversing at the time.
    Who is responsible in this situation?

I know normally its the person behind who runs into the person in front, but if the person in front is reversing, Is it different?

can't seem to find any information anywhere about this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'd say the person reversing. Need more info on exactly what happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eefy

I don't know exactly how it happened as its 2nd hand information to me
    but I think this is what happened

It was on a smallish country road he missed his left turn, he stopped and
    started reversing, she came up behind him skidded a bit and the car cut out, he then reversed into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Something like this happened me when someone reversed into me and the insurance company said the responsibility is with the person reversing.

bennyx_o wrote:
    Something like this happened me when someone reversed into me and the insurance company said the responsibility is with the person reversing.

cool, thanks for that

I was hoping that was the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

eefy wrote:
    I know normally its the person behind who runs into the person in front, but if the person in front is reversing, Is it different?

I'd say both were wrong. Each pay for their own damage and go their merry way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    I'd say both were wrong. Each pay for their own damage and go their merry way.
    I would have thought that, if the car behind was stationary, fault would lie with the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

eefy wrote:
    he then reversed into her.

That bit suggests to me that she had come to a stop. If that's the case the guy reversing needs to get his chequebook out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

looks like a her word against his case,possible outcome would be 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a rule the person who is reversing is obliged to yield to all other traffic, so on the face of it he's at fault.
    Your post also suggests that she was stopped, which pretty much confirms that he is completely at fault. He pretty much didn't bother even looking behind him. There'd be a charge of dangerous driving popping his way if the Gardai had seen him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

seamus wrote:
    As a rule the person who is reversing is obliged to yield to all other traffic, so on the face of it he's at fault.

If both vehicles were moving then it isn't so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

was there any witnesses to prove she was stopped before the accident?
    if not, the van driver could say in court that he was stopped and she hit him.

Has either part admitted responsibly at the time of crash?

were the gardai called?

if not, its her word against his in a court

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

maidhc wrote:
    If both vehicles were moving then it isn't so obvious.

well he said above that she had cut out and he then reversed into her so not sure why you think both cars were moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

eefy wrote:
    cool, thanks for that

I was hoping that was the case!

Sounds like you prefer your boyfriends' sister to your sisters' boyfriend! :D

If a car is hit whilst stationary, then the fault lies with the driver of the moving vehicle.

However, if it's one against the other with no witnesses, then it could go 50/50, or her at fault if he lies his rear end off.

Do they realise that they have a party in common? Might be best to keep your head down and out of the firing line.

Fey! wrote:
    Sounds like you prefer your boyfriends' sister to your sisters' boyfriend! :D

If a car is hit whilst stationary, then the fault lies with the driver of the moving vehicle.

However, if it's one against the other with no witnesses, then it could go 50/50, or her at fault if he lies his rear end off.

Do they realise that they have a party in common? Might be best to keep your head down and out of the firing line.

Yeah I do prefer her!
    They do know they have a party in common, My sister rang to tell me about it.

I'm just keeping out of it, but I think it will be fine anyway,
    neither wants to go through their insurance company,
    there wasn't much damage to either vehicle.

It just brought up the question of who's right and who's wrong as it seemed to be a bit of a grey area,
    cheers for the replies everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say anyone reversing back into a junction would be wrong.

Advertisement